Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Breamin Politics

Breamin Politics Sometimes there's a little more to worry about.

Old 23-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Poddy Bream

Pressure on bream stocks?

Have the horse bream from stories of days past dwindled and become harder to come across in your local over the years? Is a 50cm bream an achievable goal anymore?
Commercial netting has only recently been stopped in some of our systems. Are we still experiencing the results of this or are environmental issues effecting reproducton and longevity? Are recreational fishers still a problem or is it just the ebb and flow of life unfolding in our estuaries?
I believe one way we can help reverse any possible pilage of our bream stocks is the promotion of our sport. Luring for bream.
When I talk to other bait fisher's about black bream fishing they are normally more than sceptical about the success of artificials, but they soon pick up on my passion for the sport and are often intrigued when they see evidence of the effectiveness of luring.
Take them out for a few good sessions and there is more than a good chance they'll be converted. Addicted to the hunt. Breamers for life like the rest of us.
Once they catch the bug it's true they will probably now be fishing more and catching more bream, but over time will grow to respect and value the fish and as a result become much less likely to take them home. Especially those big 30 year old horse ones.
Unfortunately there are always going to be some vikings around to rape and pilage. Taking everthing they can catch without a chance of ever considering release. I guess its best to try and avoid teaching those types to be anymore successful.
Am I naive to think that the more people already bait fishing our systems who get introduced to luring the better our sport will get and also the more fish that will be released realitively unharmed? Bream are rarely gut hooked when they take a lure. Released fish might be a little harder to trick the next time around but are still out there breeding and eating, available for us to try and coax into taking a lure once again.
Or should we all just try and minimise our sport in a failing attempt to keep our local waterways unpressured and to ourselves?
Old 24-09-2015, 12:44 AM
Blue Lip

Of all aussie fish species bream would be the last to worry about being overfished or threatened in any way. ☺
Old 24-09-2015, 01:26 AM
Blue Lip

Discretion is always advised imo because if my state is anything to go by then the decline of our fishery is a great example of how not to do it.
Pages such as FB, BM and a plethora of others give in great detail the best ways,times and locations to bag a bag.....no problem if we are all like minded and C&R but the truth of the matter is the majority of fisho's aren't sportfishers and never will be, but they aren't dumb, you can bet your bottom dollar they will soak up all the info available and use to to make killing
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 24-09-2015, 01:42 AM
Blue Lip

It's not really a issue down here. No netting and they just don't get the pressure like you guys get on the mainland. Plenty of 50's down here.
Old 24-09-2015, 03:21 AM
Big Bream

Definitely considering they do taste alright
Old 24-09-2015, 04:18 AM
Mature Bream

Many of my mates are bait fishers. They fish the same places in East Gippy that I fish, go there for their annual trip, sit in their boats, drink beer and keep everything they land. Places like The Bemm, Tamboon, Wingan are relatively small and remote fisheries compared to Mallacoota further east and in my view should have different rules to other places. Whilst there may be little scientific basis for having stricter bag limits in terms of fish population, I reckon we should do what happens in some of the blue ribbon trout streams and designate some of these places as "trophy bream waters" where it is illegal to keep anything over 40cm and the bag limit should be reduced to 5.

Broomstick and I were at Tamboon last year and I ran into a mate who happened to be there also. He said he'd caught a 55cm bream the previous day on prawn. I congratulated him for being the All Tackle Australian Record Holder for bream. "Well, maybe 50cm" he said, "We didn't measure it because we knew it was over 27cm and was legal." FFS! Even if it was 45cm which might be feasible, he had absolutely no idea and no respect for the fish. That attitude needs to change!

Designated "Trophy Bream Waters" is the way to go in my view. I'd be interested in other's views, particularly those like Broomstick who are involved in the science of the sport.

And, another good post Oaksey! Your input to this forum has been great!

Last edited by Pistol; 24-09-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 24-09-2015, 04:52 AM
Mature Bream

I won't be popular in saying this but nothing really needs to change to the current laws surrounding bream. They're numbers are strong at all those places mentioned and to have a maximum size limit is just selfish as a sport angler. Catching bream for food makes more sense than catching bream for fun to a non fisho looking in on the situation. Why should they change the laws so we can catch more big bream when old mate can feed his family with the same fish? I can't and release bream and fish purely for sport but you need to think rationally and not be blinded by what we might want as sport anglers.
Old 24-09-2015, 05:00 AM
Mature Bream

Pistol. Your mate is an idiot. Not because he didn't measure the bream to keep it. Because he claimed a BS figure. The bloke is well within his rights to keep any fish he desires provided it's legal size and within bag limits
Old 24-09-2015, 06:54 AM
Big Bream

I don't measure any bream that's over 30 cuz they all look too big to be undersized.
Old 24-09-2015, 07:13 AM
Big Bream

now we all know that taking a legal bag of bream for a feed is not illegal, however when certain people (ok grey nomads) take up to three bags a day from Walpole that is wrong, apparently that fishery is now no more
Old 24-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereus View Post
Discretion is always advised imo because if my state is anything to go by then the decline of our fishery is a great example of how not to do it.
Pages such as FB, BM and a plethora of others give in great detail the best ways,times and locations to bag a bag.....no problem if we are all like minded and C&R but the truth of the matter is the majority of fisho's aren't sportfishers and never will be, but they aren't dumb, you can bet your bottom dollar they will soak up all the info available and use to to make killing
cheers nereus

I agree tenfold with this. SA is absolutely raped due to bogan fb groups with thousands of members, that all tell each other the best spots, times and techniques. You never question the bogans on their catch either. They're a feisty bunch indeed. There are no 'secret' spots here until you're 8 or 9 hours out of Adelaide, and even they're kind of well known now....
PB on Surface- 37cm Bassday Sugarpen
Old 24-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Poddy Bream

Yep bream, rats of the rivers. I still think they're beautiful though.
I guess I'm selfish but I would still like a bigger comp scene and a few more 50cm bream over here in the south west.
So if you guy's could all post pic's of the 50cm breams that were caught last weekend...
I'm guessing The Chief probably got half a dozen but as for the rest of the country... Why is that? Maybe he's just so much better than the rest of us.
Old 24-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakesy View Post
Yep bream, rats of the rivers. I still think they're beautiful though.
I guess I'm selfish but I would still like a bigger comp scene and a few more 50cm bream over here in the south west.
So if you guy's could all post pic's of the 50cm breams that were caught last weekend...
I'm guessing The Chief probably got half a dozen but as for the rest of the country... Why is that? Maybe he's just so much better than the rest of us.
You make it sound like 50cm bream were once everywhere and could be caught at will, until mankind stuffed it all up ....still plenty of big fish around, but may be a bit (lot) smarter now.
Old 24-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater.adam View Post
I won't be popular in saying this but nothing really needs to change to the current laws surrounding bream. They're numbers are strong at all those places mentioned and to have a maximum size limit is just selfish as a sport angler. Catching bream for food makes more sense than catching bream for fun to a non fisho looking in on the situation. Why should they change the laws so we can catch more big bream when old mate can feed his family with the same fish? I can't and release bream and fish purely for sport but you need to think rationally and not be blinded by what we might want as sport anglers.
Absolutely agree. Bream are safe. Spend resources on species facing greater declines. I completely understand wanting to catch larger fish because it's more fun but let's get our priorities straight. We are facing environmental collapse everywhere and bream are doing pretty damn well compared to other species of fish (or anything really).
Old 25-09-2015, 12:55 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater.adam View Post
SPOT ON. Its widely considered more humane to catch fish for a purpose (food) than to catch them for personal pleasure. 😉