Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Old 03-07-2015, 12:43 AM
Blue Lip

Surface prop for 115hp Optimax?

Hi All,

I'm kitting out a 5.5m Full Boar and have a 115hp Optimax and Hydraulic jack to install.

Because I can jack the motor out, should I be looking for a 'surface piercing prop' or is the standard stainless prop at the right pitch the way to go?

Am most interested in top end speed... :P

Cheers,
James

Jiggyjigs - Gettin Jiggy With it
www.jiggyjigs.com

Quickboats - Unfold Your Freedom
www.quickboats.com
Old 03-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Blue Lip

James, you will want something that is cupped so it will hold onto the water without blowing out. 3 blade or 4 blade at a guess. Go and see mick at Just Propellers in Ozzy Park. Take the boat with you would be my recommendation. You will need to give him rpm at WOT readings.

And your nuts for taking a nice evinrude off and putting a black anchor on that boat
Old 03-07-2015, 01:18 AM
Blue Lip

haha mate an Optimax will eat an E-tec any day of the week!

Great suggestion and one i'll follow up one I get those readings...

www.jiggyjigs.com

www.quickboats.com
Old 03-07-2015, 01:36 AM
Blue Lip

Will eat up more dollar bills servicing it too! You crazy kids and your speed wishes! I would have bought your big boat by now if it didnt have a black anchor! Anyway, racism aside...

You will want the cav plate on the surface so might need another person with you checking that. I suppose as far back as you plan to run it but conditions will need to be right to keep it out there. Give the motor some curry and see how high it will rev to and write it down for Mick. Have you got a low water pickup on the outboard? Last thing you want to do is run it far back and high and have no water getting to it. I used to be able to run my etec on the tracker with the blades just out of the water and that was the BRP viper prop which I think was made by solas anyway. It looked similar to their HR Titan. But choppy water and running it so high the temp alarm went off so it had to be run deeper to keep pumping water through the motor.

My guess is you will end up with either the HR Titan or HR Titan 4 (4 blade).
Old 03-07-2015, 01:57 AM
Blue Lip

haha actually you may be pleased to know that Mitch Yellin (old mate!) now owns it!

Geez there looks to be a few big mistakes that could be made in doing this. I will keep them in mind as I get things happening.

www.jiggyjigs.com

www.quickboats.com
Old 03-07-2015, 03:09 AM
Blue Lip

Cool, I bumped into Mitch yonks ago at a bluewater sale.

Mick has been around boats and racing motors and stuff for a while, he might be a good person to consult about it. How fast do you expect to get with the 115? From memory the 90 was good for 30-33 knots wasnt it?
Old 03-07-2015, 03:27 AM
Blue Lip

With your Jack plate there is a heap of different setting that may match up

Best to get it in the right mounting position and jacked with a mid range prop the play from here to adjust speed etc some time faster speed you loose control when turning other thing is holes shoot heaps of variables and its a lot of trail and error

I got a 23p tempest brand new in the garage if ya wanna test out that much prop. I don't think a 115 will spin it enough but your welcome to try

pb 47cm placcies Murray River
pb 44cm hards Murray River
Old 03-07-2015, 04:07 AM
Blue Lip

Yeah Brad I hear it was running around 33 knots with a 90. I saw a post where someone was running a 115 and claimed 43 knots. I can't see how it could jump up that much but i'm going to have a damn good go at it haha.

Thanks for the offer Alex that's awesome. I'll get things hooked up and see how i'm running to start with

www.jiggyjigs.com

www.quickboats.com
Old 03-07-2015, 04:13 AM
Poddy Bream

I have the 115 hp on a stessl 4.6 bass boss. Find a quiet river for testing, I had a laser 22, 20, and trophy plus 23 with manual jacking plate.

After lots of mucking around heights, etc.
20p laser just over reved ..
For my boat the 22 p laser was the best giving me 44 knots, with good bowlift. the trophy plus was 2 knots slower due to lack of bowlift, and blew out at higher jack heights, where as the laser held in better.

Every boat is different though.
A water pressure gauge onm the outboard is good to have so you know when you are too high and may be starving the motor of cooling pressure.

Wish I had hydraulic jacking plate in hindsight, but budget and all

this may help:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en-gb/...tor/#/step-one

the tempest is large tube designed for v6 gearboxes , won't go on your motor.

Last edited by fishrunner; 03-07-2015 at 04:19 AM. Reason: adding link
Old 04-07-2015, 08:19 AM
Blue Lip

Thanks Fishrunner, am slowly making progress installing the motor now. Trials soon.

www.jiggyjigs.com

www.quickboats.com
Old 05-07-2015, 06:25 AM
Mature Bream

Im running optimax 115 on a triton tr175 bass boat. CMC jackplate manual 20p laser 2 that has been cupped. I can sit on 45 knots full tourny load and have hit 46 on my own. It grips tight and doesnt blow out when cornering.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Mature Bream

Smile

I have to say the least I have done a heap of this with a 7.2 mtr genesis craft twin suzi 250 and 6 " jacking hydraulic plates .

With my original 14.5 x 25p props first run out 62.1 knts but heaps of ventation to get past before grip was attained now runnig 14" x 25 p solas 4 blades back down to 51-53knots but plenty of grip .

I am about to put 10" plates on to get the legs deeper for more prop grip and going to a suzi 14.5 x 27p which i think will be perfect so i have a couple of 6 " plates that need hydros which bobs said they will do a deal on for any one interested in the 6" plates .

Are you guys using low water pick ups if not you wont get anywhere near the performance out of them with out them because of the limitation to jack them out of the water.

Anyone in the Perth area that wants to come for a run and is brave enough send a pm more than happy to share the experiances ive had to go through to get these right.

So in answer to your question surface peircing props are not really required

For 25 kg more in your size boat i would of goe the 150

Regards thecheif

Last edited by thecheif; 05-07-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 20-07-2015, 06:45 AM
Poddy Bream

115hp your very limited with props . I suggest a laser 2 with added cupping or for heavy loaded boat 4blade trophy. Been here done that sloas hr props no good tempest wot fit small gearbox the trophy is your best bet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: