Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisho fanatic3 View Post
thanks guys,
I think I'll just start off small with a $60 kit and give it to my brother as a christmas present. I have watched a few video's on how to do it 2 of which were down by gary howard or one of the employes? it was on fishing world.

How would you do it with out a machine? Oh well I guess thats for me to find out.

Be sure to take some pics of the process and let us know how you go mate!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Big Bream

How you do it without a machine.

get a fairly strong cardboard box.

In the top cut a couple of 'V' slots for the rod to sit in.

Put thread in a cup (so it doesn't roll around everywhere).

run thread through the centre of a book to put some tension on it. And other books on top of the first to adjust the tension. Test wrap a guide, tension on the thread should be tight enough so that it stays in place and will let you adjust the position of the guide at the end with some difficulty, but not so tight that you can't move it at all.

Turn the rod by hand to wrap.

I haven't done the epoxy bit by hand but have read that you turn the rod 90deg or so every few minutes until it starts to go off. Rod building epoxy firms up pretty quickly so you need to be around the rod for an hour or so. Or spend $30 on a BBQ rotisserie motor and make up a way to attach it to the rod.

Have a look at rodbuilding.org for pictures of the homemade rod building equipment or search using google.

Last edited by crusty; 08-11-2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: edit
Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty View Post
get a fairly strong cardboard box.

In the top cut a couple of 'V' slots for the rod to sit in.

Put thread in a cup (so it doesn't roll around everywhere).

run thread through the centre of a book to put some tension on it. And other books on top of the first to adjust the tension. Test wrap a guide, tension on the thread should be tight enough so that it stays in place and will let you adjust the position of the guide at the end with some difficulty, but not so tight that you can't move it at all.

Turn the rod by hand to wrap.

I haven't done the epoxy bit by hand but have read that you turn the rod 90deg or so every few minutes until it starts to go off. Rod building epoxy firms up pretty quickly so you need to be around the rod for an hour or so. Or spend $30 on a BBQ rotisserie motor and make up a way to attach it to the rod.

Have a look at rodbuilding.org for pictures of the homemade rod building equipment or search using google.

This is a picture of part of my rodbuilding jig constructed from scrap pine and carpet and the odd screw. I have a tensioning system with springs & washers etc but you can get by without it.
thanks crusty,
I will check out the website, The guy on fishing world made the proccess sound and look so easy. Check it out on their website or go onto youtube and type in fishing world magazine, click on their channel and find the rod building part 1 & 2. I don't know how to add links.

I will let you know how it goes but I can't until at least january (holidays/money).

Thanks again guys.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Fingerling

Building a rod

Fisho
It is great to hear that you are going to start building your own rods.

Samurai and Fuji combined have some excellent rod building kits for you to purchase that have all of the guess work taken out of it.
For Example-
If you wanted to build up a Samurai Premium 201 (code SP201-C). All you need to do is order this blank and a kit to suit through your local tackle shop. It will turn up with all of the right size guides, checks, grips, reel seat, recipe etc. All you need to specify is -
1) Which Blank
2) What frame and ring type you would like, EG Titanium "K" Frames with silicon rings.
3) What grip type and configuration you want, EG Camo (colour needed, green, black, blue) split butt with a VSS reel seat and KDPS hood, winding checks (colours silver, black, blue, gold)
If the grip configuration gets tricky you can go through this with your local tackle store

Once we have the above information we will pack it all up for you with all of the instructions you will need to build the rod.
If you want to have a look at all of the available components you can go to www.frogleysoffshore.com.au and download the rod building brochure. This also contains all of the other associated products for rod building including threads, epoxies, rollers etc.
If I can help with anything else please let me know and I will do my best.

Regards
Jay Morgan
Old 08-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Morgan View Post
Fisho
It is great to hear that you are going to start building your own rods.

Samurai and Fuji combined have some excellent rod building kits for you to purchase that have all of the guess work taken out of it.
For Example-
If you wanted to build up a Samurai Premium 201 (code SP201-C). All you need to do is order this blank and a kit to suit through your local tackle shop. It will turn up with all of the right size guides, checks, grips, reel seat, recipe etc. All you need to specify is -
1) Which Blank
2) What frame and ring type you would like, EG Titanium "K" Frames with silicon rings.
3) What grip type and configuration you want, EG Camo (colour needed, green, black, blue) split butt with a VSS reel seat and KDPS hood, winding checks (colours silver, black, blue, gold)
If the grip configuration gets tricky you can go through this with your local tackle store

Once we have the above information we will pack it all up for you with all of the instructions you will need to build the rod.
If you want to have a look at all of the available components you can go to www.frogleysoffshore.com.au and download the rod building brochure. This also contains all of the other associated products for rod building including threads, epoxies, rollers etc.
If I can help with anything else please let me know and I will do my best.

Regards
Jay Morgan
thanks Jay,
i will let you know when i have the supplies. What kit should i get? I was thinking either a kilwell FMT 72L Light spin for $56 or a samurai(code S001X) for $145.

Thanks for the help and encouragement BMM's and I (might) be able to get the kit in sooner than I expected.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Blue Lip

I had a look at DohDohDohDohDohDohDohDoh and found this. would this be a worth while thing to have if I'm building rods? it's only $20 in comparison to over $600.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rod-binding 2.jpg (7.5 KB, 132 views)
Old 08-11-2011, 05:05 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
I had a look at DohDohDohDohDohDohDohDoh and found this. would this be a worth while thing to have if I'm building rods? it's only $20 in comparison to over $600.
You would need more than one. But its still way cheaper than a rod lathe

Have a look at this
http://www.steelheader.net/Rodbuildi...wn_rod_jig.htm

My current jig is basically this with three supports. And I have one separate support for similar to rollers in your DohDohDohDohDohDohDohDoh link to support the front of the rod while the epoxy sets.

My first jig was much simpler one squareish piece of particle board about 40cm by 40cm, two pieces of 4x2 timber with a square cut out of each end, felt covering the cut out (you could use offcuts of carpet or any material), 1 large bolt, a spring, some washers and wing nut to adjust tension (have to be careful with this as they tend to tighten or loosen as you wrap).
This is the tensioning set up on my current jig

Crusty
Old 08-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Mature Bream

Fisho when do we place our orders good on ya champ..
Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by breamin' View Post
Fisho when do we place our orders good on ya champ..
Thats my plan start out small and get really good at it then start putting them in local tackle shops next thing I know I'm famous.

@ crusty, did you make that yourself or buy it? I am really keen on this and see a future in it.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Thats my plan start out small and get really good at it then start putting them in local tackle shops next thing I know I'm famous.

@ crusty, did you make that yourself or buy it? I am really keen on this and see a future in it.
I made it myself. There isn't a lot to a basic rod jig really. Mines a little fancy as I routed a slot in the bottom board so the supports could slide to avoid guides. Theres hooks for scissors and the thread pull throughs (just loops of tying thread but they get lost in the offcuts if I don't hang them up and then I can't find them when I need them). And lots of masking tape offcuts, really useful when making the rod. Some elastic to hook over the rod to keep the tension on when I let go of the rod.

Crusty
Old 08-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty View Post
I made it myself. There isn't a lot to a basic rod jig really. Mines a little fancy as I routed a slot in the bottom board so the supports could slide to avoid guides. Theres hooks for scissors and the thread pull throughs (just loops of tying thread but they get lost in the offcuts if I don't hang them up and then I can't find them when I need them). And lots of masking tape offcuts, really useful when making the rod. Some elastic to hook over the rod to keep the tension on when I let go of the rod.

Crusty
Can't send you a PM so I'll reply here.

This is William's description that I've stolen from another forum.
He builds fly rods but is just as relavent to spin rods just easier as there are less guides.
" I have a rod turner setup but quite often don't use it. If I'm doing a rod when there is something on TV like say cricket, it's easy to achieve brilliant results just by hand turning while watching the game. For the first quarter of an hour you need to turn 180 degrees about once per minute - leave alone between turns - guides up and then guides down. Throw in a few quarter turns if you think the epoxy distribution needs it. Have a close look to see if any major slump is developing and compensate amount of turn and timing for that - it's not at all difficult to see what is needed. I also use this time to inspect and blow out any bubbles, and fix any epoxy distribution problems - shift sideways, scrape off, or add a bit as required. By then it should be going off nicely, and you can steadily increase intervals between turns. After about two hours it should be set enough for just one more turn an hour later, and then leave overnight. "
Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Blue Lip

Thanks crusty, I'll let you know how it goes in say December/january when I have the time.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Big Bream

if i was you i would wait on the rod building and get a nice set up instead like a certate and one of the new black label rods or another rod around the 350 mark!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechey View Post
if i was you i would wait on the rod building and get a nice set up instead like a certate and one of the new black label rods or another rod around the 350 mark!
I have a nice combo already, a samaki vamp 6'10" with a daiwa freams 2000. I just want to make rods because I see it as a challenge that could lead to a job = money to buy more tackle. I also plan on getting another combo for SP's (samaki stitch with a daiwa Arid). Thanks anyway beechey.

I just had an idea can't I use a drill with an attachment so that I can spin the rod? it sounds alot easier than hand turning. I would still have the rollers etc. but having a drill would probably make it so much easier.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Blue Lip

if you have a way of slowing the drill down to between 10-20 rpm then yes you could

www.crankalures.com