Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Jigs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Jigs Want to find out which jigs perform best, drop in here…
Gamakatsu, Slider, Ecogear, Nitro, Assassin...

Save 50% off retail on all HaberVision Eyewear

Old 13-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Mature Bream

Hook size?

Hey guys,

just wondering if there is a general rule of thumb on the hook size that should be used for a given soft plastic length???

I have been using a 1 or 1/0 in my 100mm squidgy wrigglers, all to be told the other day by a bloke, that my hook size is way to big, and you shouldnt fish a hook size any bigger then #2 when chasing bream

I use #2 when using the 80mm wriggler or other smaller profiles plastics, but even in the 2' gulp shrimp, im using #1's????

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Happy fishing
Old 13-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Blue Lip

Refer to the SQUIDGY JIG HEAD & TAIL GUIDE

http://www.squidgies.com.au/page1074236.aspx

Remember it is just a guide.
Old 13-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Mature Bream

thats the guide i was following, then a squidgy rep at a tackle store told me that my hook sizes were off... when i asked him about the guide, he said "you can use a 1/0 hook in a 100mm wriggler, but for every one fish you hook you will miss 10"

Last edited by dannyboy91 : 13-07-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 13-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Blue Lip

I generally dont pay any attention to hook sizes... I just pick the weight I want and then match the hook size to the plastic so it looks in proportion... If the hook looks outrageously big (or small) on the plastic, odds are it is. If it looks pretty right and looks in proportion, odds are it'll work perfectly. Just have a look, I'm sure you'll be able to judge whats right and wrong by eye, there is no set rules.
Old 13-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Blue Lip

2/4 (squidgy jigs) even 6 will be fine for breambos mate .. depends also on the size of the plastic .. if it is a tiny plastic, use a 4 or 6

if the hook is too big, it may scare mr breambo away lol
Old 13-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Mature Bream

I find the #2 in the squidgy range looks about right with most bream plastics. I'm no expert but it seems to me it's the weight that matters most. Bream don't have a particularly small or big mouths so anything in and around that size should be fine.
Old 14-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Mature Bream

yeah on smaller SP's ill use a #2 but the #2 looks a bit small for the 100mm wriggler.. The squidgy guide says you can use up to a 3/0 for that size but that seems to big...

I find that the gape of the hook isnt that much bigger between the #2, #1 and 1/0.. its mainly shank length to give you the hook sitting a bit further back
Old 14-07-2011, 01:23 AM
Banned

Hi mate

You definitely can use the bigger hooks in the 100mm wrigglers, but it solely depends on which species you are targeting. What the bloke you are talking to is saying that those bigger hooks are too big for bream, I use a size 2 hook in my wrigglers because that's what looked good to me. The bigger hook on the bream may scare it away, or it may not fit in their mouth properly.. You can still use the smaller hooks on the flatties, but most of the fish you catch will be throat-hooked, rather than mouth-hooked as it would be with the bigger hooks.

Hope I helped,

Todd
Old 14-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Mature Bream

Here's another question, how small is too small?

I just picked up some #6 jigheads for the small Monster Miki's. They look pretty small
Old 14-07-2011, 02:44 AM
Mature Bream

http://www.breammaster.com/forum/sho...t=37835&page=3

I asked the same Q about the mikis in another thread (above lin), size 4 seemed the go
Old 14-07-2011, 02:46 AM
Mature Bream

thanks for all the replies guys... lots of good help
Old 15-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Banned

Concentrate more on weight than hook size. I use 100mm Wrigglers regularly and have often used #1 and #1/0.

Do what works for you on the day mate. Always a good idea to have a good variety of Jig Heads so that you can swap and change them to suit the situation/ conditions etc. If you think you lose too many fish on the smaller sizes and you hook more with the larger ones then stick to it no point changing something that isn't broken.

The Guide is exactly that a Guide, it does not tell you what works well for you where you fish or in what conditions. Trust your instincts and results not what the bloke at the tackle store told you, they can be way of the mark sometimes or just tell you what happens to work for them. (Some, not most)
Old 15-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Mature Bream

One thing I've learnt from Breammaster is that everyone has their own preferences for a whole lot of reasons. If I'm struggling with something I'll come here and get a few ideas then head down to the water to try them out. All are valid, but some work for me and some don't.

So, if the tackle store guy suggests something, take note and give it a go if what you are doing isn't working. But if he says, "ooohhh, using that reasonably priced product may be costing you 9 fish to each one you catch, I recommend this incredibly expensive one instead" don't go back.

I've been to great stores with good advice and a high focus on customer satisfaction. I've also been to too many who want to part you with your hard-earned as a first priority. Especially beginners like us.

So if the size 1 jigheads are working for you, stick with them.

Last edited by punchanello : 15-07-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 15-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Blue Lip

I use a #1 in a 100m wrigglers. Seems to work for everything in general. Will go a 1/0 if chasing flatties.
Old 15-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Mature Bream

Awesome help guys! ive invested in a few more packets of jig heads so now ive got #4 through 1/0 in weights from 1/40 through 1/12, this should cover a few more bases!

Thanks again for all the advice, all of it has been taken on board