Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Fingerling

Mg reels Daiwa, Pflueguer & Shimano

G'day Guys

I am interested in hearing from those that have Mg reels. A couple of months ago I bought a Daiwa Fuego 2000 and more recently a Pflueguer Supreme XT. I bought them because they were great prices and smooth reels. Both are Mg reels and I have used the Fuego in Salt (no apparent issues so far) but not the Supreme.

Therefore what are your experiences of using these reels in salt. Should I or not. I want to get another Stradic 1000 Mg for my son as his Okuma 1000 knots up the braid all the time with light lures. Should I get another Mg if I will use in in Salt 30% of the time or once a month?

Finally opinions on the reel that appears to not twist light braid line or at least reduce the amount of knots from casting. Reel around the 1000-2000 size and in the same price range as the mention reels.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Big Bream

I wouldn't have thought the reel in isolation would cause knots when casting -assuming the line is laid on the spool evenly and tightly. Have you tried a different braid?

Last edited by Cortinaboy; 07-12-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortinaboy View Post
I wouldn't have thought the reel in isolation would cause knots when casting -assuming the line is laid on the spool evenly and tightly. Have you tried a different braid?
My experience with the same braid accross 5 different spinning reels is that the smaller and cheaper units tend to twist the line more or not lay as well. This appears to cause knotting more regularly. Happy to have insight from others though and I will raise the braid brand in another thread/section but appeciate any comments.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Big Bream

Fair enough - if you've compared it across 5 reels, I guess it must be the reel. Obvious thing to do would be to use one of the brands you've found works well already. For what its worth, I use small stradics and Tierra's and both work well with 4lb Fins braid unless I've happened to be daydreaming and wound in slack line. That can get ugly when casting around small HBs and light jigheads.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Blue Lip

I've been using my Supreme XT in the salt with no issues and no corosion thus far.. My Pflueger Patriarch on the other hand... she's a lot more sensitive.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Fingerling

My soft plastic and jig reels are Fuego 2000 (Stren and Fireline Crystal), Stradic 2500 (Fireline) and Pflueguer supreme xt2000s (Fireline Crystal). I let my older boy use these but the youngs feels there too big.

However the cheaper reels on my kids rods are Okuma Avenger AV15 fireline, Abu Cardinal 2000s, Abu MLF 410 and Quantam IR2F fireline. All these reels knot up so I only like to use them for bait know but my 6yr boy luvs to cast like mad and he luvs his IM8 5.5 ABU UL rod. As you can imagine he now goes through the line cause of knots and hence I think it is the time to upgrade to a mid range quality reel so he doesnt get disheartend and chew up line.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
I've been using my Supreme XT in the salt with no issues and no corosion thus far.. My Pflueger Patriarch on the other hand... she's a lot more sensitive.
Sweet, is yours the XT or the XTS Japan? What have you noticed with the Patriarch?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Blue Lip

what the difference salt resistance wise between the pre 2007 luvias' and fuego's?

look identical on paper bb wise, with 3 crbb and 3 non crbb's in each.

only significant difference i can see is magnesium vs air metal body, but magnesium is sposed to be treated anyway, and its painted so unless it scratches... any cause for concern?

is there any real difference salt resistance wise at all?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Blue Lip

sorry, thats 3 crbb's 3 normal bb's and a rolar bb before anyone gets tech lol
Old 08-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Fingerling

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=439

Unless I have misread it, the Fuego is Zaion the same as the Luvias? Possibly the same reel but rebadged for different markets?

Perhaps it may be worth trying a different braid on the Okuma first. One with different characteristics to the line that is already on it. Or even stick some mono on it.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtez View Post
Perhaps it may be worth trying a different braid on the Okuma first. One with different characteristics to the line that is already on it. Or even stick some mono on it.
Quote:
Unless I have misread it, the Fuego is Zaion the same as the Luvias? Possibly the same reel but rebadged for different markets?.

I am not familar with the other reels mentions but the fuego is not recommended for salt usage.

I do believe the mono will make a difference but at the end of the day I prefer to use braid and it is not cheap especially when you consider that you can get a Pflueguer or Stradic off ebay for the price of 2 of the quality braids whichI have read about in other braid threads.

Last edited by Mczook; 08-12-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mczook View Post
Sweet, is yours the XT or the XTS Japan? What have you noticed with the Patriarch?
Mine is the XT.. I couldn't justify the price jump to gain a bit of bling and lose 5g of weight.

The Patriarch has had issues with green corrosion popping up on where I've marked the below picture.

Other than that it's a bloody gem of a reel.. Landed a 15kg~ GT with it last week and it's as smooth as it ever was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picpfluegerpatriarch06.jpg (100.0 KB, 288 views)
Old 08-12-2009, 04:33 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtez View Post

Unless I have misread it, the Fuego is Zaion the same as the Luvias? Possibly the same reel but rebadged for different markets?

i was refering to the old model fuego, with the pre 07' luvias', gekka, emma ect generation body. not the newer zaion body one.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Fingerling

[QUOTE=Chamelion;263794]Mine is the XT.. I couldn't justify the price jump to gain a bit of bling and lose 5g of weight.
[QUOTE]

I am leaning towards another Pflueger XT or XTS. There is only $12 difference between the 2 prices I have got so either will do. The fella I bought the XTS has another one and is going to see if he can do even better and at approx $145 it not too pricey either!

Happy to hear more opinions
Old 08-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
Mine is the XT.. I couldn't justify the price jump to gain a bit of bling and lose 5g of weight.
I am leaning towards another Pflueger XT or XTS. There is only $12 difference between the 2 prices I have got so either will do. The fella I bought the XTS has another one and is going to see if he can do even better and at approx $145 it not too pricey either!

Happy to hear more opinions