Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 23-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagsbream View Post
, I'll have to strike hard when they bite then? .
strike hard, if its a drummer it'll strike back even harder
Old 23-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagsbream View Post
Definitely talking about estuary mullet. I might buy a bobby cork or two.

Mate if I catch a drummer it'll be my first. Not a rock fisho, I cut my teeth in the estuary and on the sand. I've caught many, many bream but never from the stones!
Cool mate, im the other way round. Caught stacks off the rocks and working at mastering the estuary. Let me know if have any more questions
Jew - 76cm using Squidgy wriggler prawn
Bass - 45cm using Strada Riot 55 Surface walker
Estuary Perch - 39cm on Berkley Pop Dog
Tarwine - 27cm using Squidgy Wriggler
Silver Trevally - 42cm using Evercatch blade
Old 26-07-2014, 02:48 AM
Mature Bream

Very quick update, managed half a dozen pigs on our first session, three keepers. 38 and 40cm the biggest two - not monsters but a lot of fun!
Thanks to all for the pointers.
Old 26-07-2014, 04:30 AM
Mature Bream

Ripper mate, what sorta rig u end up with
Old 26-07-2014, 04:40 AM
Mature Bream

Awesome stuff mate I got a few myself today from 39 to 42cm and it always amazes me how strong they are, never get tired of it. Im also curious what setup you ended up running with?
Old 26-07-2014, 05:32 AM
Big Bream

My old man still refuses to use anything heavier then 15lb and i will go out on a limb and say he is one of the best drummer anglers i have seen including alex bellissimo ( the face of rock fishing for alot of sydney siders ). The old man still shakes his head at the idea of using 25-30lb on drummer. Ive got to say i tend to agree with him.

Turning a drummer is all about your initial strike, a drummer will brick you on 60lb if you cant turn him straight off the bat. Hook quality and technique accompanied with lighter high quality mono will land you more drummer according to my old mans 60 years experience. Fishing 'finesse' with lighter lines isnt as contemporary and new age as some would have you think apparently.

I have no doubt that heavy line will still catch you fish but give the lighter stuff a shot and watch your strike rate go way up.

P.s all the old mans 5 Kilo + drummer have come on 15lb mono on red crab.
Old 26-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Poddy Bream

For me, i like to fish for drummer with 15lb mono straight through to the hook... you get done a fair bit but theres no doubting you hook more than you mate next to you running 20-30lb. Heaps of hurt and a bit of frees spooling when you need it seems to work for me. Get one of those little alvey bait buckets and put your hooks and sinkers in one side , bait in the other. That way you can rig up and be fishing in less than 30 seconds if you snag/bust off/have some random reefie swallow your hook
Old 26-07-2014, 05:42 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
My old man still refuses to use anything heavier then 15lb and i will go out on a limb and say he is one of the best drummer anglers i have seen including alex bellissimo ( the face of rock fishing for alot of sydney siders ). The old man still shakes his head at the idea of using 25-30lb on drummer. Ive got to say i tend to agree with him.

Turning a drummer is all about your initial strike, a drummer will brick you on 60lb if you cant turn him straight off the bat. Hook quality and technique accompanied with lighter high quality mono will land you more drummer according to my old mans 60 years experience. Fishing 'finesse' with lighter lines isnt as contemporary and new age as some would have you think apparently.

I have no doubt that heavy line will still catch you fish but give the lighter stuff a shot and watch your strike rate go way up.

P.s all the old mans 5 Kilo + drummer have come on 15lb mono on red crab.
Awesome pigs, couldn't agree more. Once you get to know a spot well and all the places they are likely to run to/ try and bust you at, you can usually predict what there gonna do and take action before its too late, even on 15lb... Usually!
Old 26-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Mature Bream

Interesting stuff re 15lb gear, I was using 15lb today but mainly for cast distance after going to an easier-to-handle 9 foot rod, and also I know it should handle the fish in my local spots. Its the first time ive landed more than one pig above the the 35 mark, all were solid fish, sounds like the lighter line theory could be working it's magic. Sufix elite was recommended by my local and so far very impressed with how well it holds up vs how limp it is, very good line that doesnt break the bank either.

Last edited by timk1111; 26-07-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 26-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Mature Bream

So initially I intended to fish 20lb mono straight through on my 12 foot no-name rod, but when we reached the ledge I had a chat to some blokes who had pulled two drummer and a luderick using braid to 20lb fluoro leader. I decided I was keen for some sport and backed myself.

Grabbed my 10'6 4-8kg and 4000 reel spooled with 15lb super PE. Tied a 15lb fluoro leader. Got dusted the first couple of hookups on drummer. You bloody know when you've hooked one. The first one I landed was probably 25cm, just a tiddler but still fought well. The next fish was 38cm, ripper fight. Best fun I've had in a while that's for sure.

My mate next to me was using Platypus Lo-Stretch mono in 8kg (so around 17.5lb) straight through, and his best fish outdid mine by 2cm. I think I may have had marginally more hits, but the difference on the day was pretty negligible.
Old 26-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Blue Lip

15lb braid to 20lb fluro locked dragged pulled pigs out up too 50cm yesterday 2500 and 3000 certates on 6-12lb 8-18lb spin rods
Old 26-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Big Bream

Anyone with deep pockets tried an expensive low memory flurocarbon the whole way through ?
Old 26-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Big Bream

also interested in this. anyone got any suggestions. surely if they are line shy as some people have suggested a straight through fluoro approach would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
Anyone with deep pockets tried an expensive low memory flurocarbon the whole way through ?
Old 27-07-2014, 02:34 AM
Mature Bream

The issue I'd be looking at is the stretch factor of fluorocarbon. Harder to keep them from their caves and holes.
Old 27-07-2014, 04:22 AM
Mature Bream

Does fluro stretch more than mono?