Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Blue Lip

Cougar sighting

hey guys,
was down at bremer bay for a few days earlier in the week.
we were fishing down stream in front of a huge cliff. I heard a russle in the bushes and fixed my eye on the bush just 30m away. out of nowhere a Cougar or a really really really big black cat in which i really doubt climbed up the 80 degree angle cliff in no time. Pretty amazing stuff.
Also 3 weeks ago me and jack were down that part of the woods again.
jack got his lure caught in a tree up stream, on the back of the tree where his lure was on, there were big deep marks,almost like a cat would do to the tree in the backyard, however these didnt look like it was just a cat.
the thing is jack had a camera in his hand at the time of sighting the cougar, however was to busy taking photos ofme working surface lures

Any one elsehad any sightings?
imagine the bounty on the cougars head!

13 Fishing
Like us on Facebook for updates and pictures: http://www.facebook.com/13FishingAustralia?fref=ts
Old 03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Hyper Tackle

My folks saw a very large animal which they described as a panther years ago on a track down at Denmark, there's one Perth Angler who has made it his life ambition to track these cats down have a word to Monksie about it

Mark
Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Blue Lip

You should definitely report this to the authorities, the more reports they get, the more chance they will do something about it, every bit of info will help. These large cats could very well be dangerous, if you've seen what they can do to a cow imagine what they could do to a small child.

Michael.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Hyper Tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnowMan View Post
You should definitely report this to the authorities, the more reports they get, the more chance they will do something about it, every bit of info will help. These large cats could very well be dangerous, if you've seen what they can do to a cow imagine what they could do to a small child.

Michael.
The authorities are in denial of these animals actually existing so I honestly think no point contacting them.

Mark
Old 03-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Mature Bream

We have similar stories over on the East Caost... I think I remember hearing about one at Bathurst and a few up in the Blue Mountains

There is the odd photo floating around but they are always a long way off and/or out of focus.....

I would be very interested to see photos of the marks on the tree
Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Tackle View Post
The authorities are in denial of these animals actually existing so I honestly think no point contacting them.
Maybe so, but they would still have to make some sort of record of the event and where it took place. Then if one is ever found in the area, you would have "I told you so rights" But yes I do agree with you that the people responsible for doing something about these sightings may not be taking it as seriously as they should or doing all they can.

Michael.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Fingerling

Smile cougars

saw a few myself on the week end stalking young blokes in the bar,,,,,,,,,
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Blue Lip

Theres a "cougar" type animal stalking around the port macquarie area, I've also seen something run up a 80ft gum tree, which didnt look any domestic cat to me.

www.crankalures.com
Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by horselips View Post
saw a few myself on the week end stalking young blokes in the bar,,,,,,,,,
gotta love them
Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Blue Lip

I've heard some stories of sightings up in Kalanie. A client of ours reckons they followed one. Some people think they are crazy others believe it could be true. The story goes that these animals excaped from a circus once. Other people believe that they are just giant feral cats. Apparently feral cats grow quite large.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Big Bream

Look up the breed Maine Coon or British blue

When domestic cats become feral they go dark over generations. They also get much bigger.

A mate hunts pigs with a bow. He has seen cats a metre from tip to tail out at Toodyay. His take on it is as above. The buggers go feral and grow from their human designer pussy back to the wild thing.

Cats with FIV seem to get bigger also.

Last edited by Acanthopagrus; 03-02-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Administrator

I have spotted one in the Cape Range National park up in Exmouth, followed it over the hills for some time before it wore us out.
Have shot some big feral cats but certainly never seen anything like this thing.

Ian.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Jacob59

i have seen feral cats up around dorrigo (west of coffs) around the 1 meter long mark, and must have been about 20kgs, ferals get really really big.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Mature Bream

My grandparents farm in the wheat belt and i have heard various cases of cougar sightings since i was a kid. Apparrantley in the 50's a train carrying animals for a circus derailed near merriden and two cougars escaped all other animals died or were put down, so the story goes.... And yes feral cats do get larger as more generations past since they were demesticated
Old 03-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Big Bream

Location: Soon to be in an old aged home with Mark M, president of the Coffin Dodgers
Did it look like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cougar_wideweb__470x352,0.jpg (22.7 KB, 889 views)