Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Mature Bream

go for some rainbowfish mate, best fish ever . 15 rainbows in a 4,2,2 tank with live plants, cant go wrong
Old 13-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyDay View Post
Oh okay I didn't think taking one would hurt? But how is the grow speed of them?
if you take a murray cod or small bass you are actually breaking the law for keeping undersize fish.

As the others stated a wild fish won't adapt too well to being in a tank, they have certain environmental parameters that they are used to in the wild and if you don't replicate the environment in the tank perfectly then the will probably stress out and die.

You can actually buy cod and bass off livefish.com.au they are have a wide variety of fish and they are relatively cheap. They also have some awesome bits of driftwood and stuff for making your tank look all fancy

If you get a cod though, I wouldn't put much else in the tank...They will end up eating it
Old 13-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaming12 View Post
go for some rainbowfish mate, best fish ever . 15 rainbows in a 4,2,2 tank with live plants, cant go wrong
Why I get them aren't they like little tiny fish that do nothing??? I want to feed my fish live yabbys and live fish.
Old 13-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatch View Post
if you take a murray cod or small bass you are actually breaking the law for keeping undersize fish.

As the others stated a wild fish won't adapt too well to being in a tank, they have certain environmental parameters that they are used to in the wild and if you don't replicate the environment in the tank perfectly then the will probably stress out and die.

You can actually buy cod and bass off livefish.com.au they are have a wide variety of fish and they are relatively cheap. They also have some awesome bits of driftwood and stuff for making your tank look all fancy

If you get a cod though, I wouldn't put much else in the tank...They will end up eating it
Cheers for the advice clay really appreciate it so would you got the bass or the cod??
Old 13-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Big Bream

Also can I get bigger specimens or are they just fingerlings
Old 13-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Big Bream

http://www.livefish.com.au/tropicals...dini-40cm.html Saratoga looks so cool but I don't think I'll be getting a tropical tank
Old 13-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Mature Bream

I have a bass at home, had him well over a year now and hes so entertaining, can hand feed him off the surface, hell eat absolutely everything i put in there and is very easy to care for with regular water changes and tank maintenance. I had a murray for a while but wasnt a big fan as he sat under his snag and rarely came out apart from feeding time. Id say your best bet is just go check out your local aquarium and have a chat with the guys there.

good luck with the fish keeping!

Cheers,

Glenn.
Old 14-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Blue Lip

Hey nick dont want to be rude, but belive me if you try take a full grown wild fish and keep it in a tank its as good as dead
You need to start with them as fingerlings I've kept redfin for a few years grown 1 from 2cm to about 30cm fun fish to keep, I recommend you try keep a reddie first as practice and if it dies it won't matter

You can buy murray cod for $10, golden perch for $15 and bass for $25 from many aquariums I was going to get a cod but decided I wouldn't have enough spare time to properly take care of a cod during uni, they're a lot of work.

Just please take my advice if you try to relocate a 30cm bass or a 40-50cm golden into a tank they will go absolutely spastic and will most likely die also due to the distress you will find it very hard to feed the fish. Every time you get near the tank the fish will spook and just thrash around alsover tank.

+it's much better to grow a fisih from a fingerling and as mentioned you dont won't to take an undersizd fish from the wild.

Last edited by redfinfisho; 14-02-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 14-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Why I get them aren't they like little tiny fish that do nothing??? I want to feed my fish live yabbys and live fish.
most rainbows grow up to 15 cm. and they are very energetic and colourful. However they are not idle to feed live yabbies but they will eat small fish like guppies or mosquito fish.
Old 14-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfinfisho View Post
Hey nick dont want to be rude, but belive me if you try take a full grown wild fish and keep it in a tank its as good as dead
You need to start with them as fingerlings I've kept redfin for a few years grown 1 from 2cm to about 30cm fun fish to keep, I recommend you try keep a reddie first as practice and if it dies it won't matter

You can buy murray cod for $10, golden perch for $15 and bass for $25 from many aquariums I was going to get a cod but decided I wouldn't have enough spare time to properly take care of a cod during uni, they're a lot of work.

Just please take my advice if you try to relocate a 30cm bass or a 40-50cm golden into a tank they will go absolutely spastic and will most likely die also due to the distress you will find it very hard to feed the fish. Every time you get near the tank the fish will spook and just thrash around alsover tank.

+it's much better to grow a fisih from a fingerling and as mentioned you dont won't to take an undersizd fish from the wild.
Yeah don't worry mate I totally understand what your talking about and I am greatfull to be apart of this forum so I can learn this stuff. I have a place in mentone and I saw a 20cm cod there for sale... Not sure if still there but I'm pretty sure they'd stock other natives aswell.
Old 14-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Blue Lip

no problem nick, hope you end up getting an awesome fish
Old 14-02-2013, 02:08 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh okay I didn't think taking one would hurt? But how is the grow speed of them?
Growth rates depend on a variety of factors like water temp,feed rates, water quality and even the position you place your tank can vary their growth.

I always found when growing cod from small fingerlings they grow pretty quickly18-24 months 30cm and I was releasing them in a private dam at 35cm because it begins to get cramped in a 6ft tank.
It's definately better and easier to grow from fingerling size and they don't outgrow the tank so fast.
I'm a native freshwater aquaculture technician by trade so you can believe some of this info
Old 14-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Mature Bream

Hey Nick, if you do wish to take from a wild population, you need to get yourself a translocation license for the particular species you want to take. It is legal if you do this. But as said Aquarium Shops sell Cod, Bass, etc but they have a largish premium on them depending where you buy, most of the time they are $25+, personally I reccomend, contacting a fish farm, that alot of the time breeds fish for the people who stock the river, and you can get yourself, cod, bass, silver perch, for around $2-5 mark. Great way to do it. Also I have a lots of experience with buying fish online, and do not recommend, livefish.com, they have inbreed fish in terrible condition, occasionally you will get a good batch however, if you are looking for plants however livefish.com is the place to go. Aquagreen is good to if you want native plants and smaller native fish.

Personally, I would prefer a rainbowfish over a cod if I had a choice, rainbow fish are a small-medium schooling fish with INCREDIBLE colours! They have such a great personality similar to a discus actually. In a planted tank with a darkish substrate these fish thrive, well, any fish would. Oh, and before you even think about addding fish to a tank, make sure you learn about Cycling the tank, as well as how to monitor, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, PH, KH, GH.
There are some amazing aquarium keeping forums out there, I reccomend you join one (AquariumLife would be my pick!)

Also a 6X2X2 tank would be much more sutiable for a cod or bass, or any native fish that can easily grow over 25cm. Even then the more space the better. Personally I would be choosing an 8X2.5X2.5 if I was choosing the keep the fish for over 4-5 years.

Have fun!
- Daniel

Last edited by Puggy; 14-02-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 15-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Cheers for the advice clay really appreciate it so would you got the bass or the cod??
No worries at all mate! Congrats on your sponsorship with Madeye too pal!

Personally I would go the cod. I just loved having mine. Each individual fish is different and they have a lot of personality, if you keep the tank clean they also have quite nice colours!

If you want surface action go the bass! Although I trained a number of my Murray cod to eat out of my hands!
Old 15-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Blue Lip

i have 5 yabbies does that count lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: