Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Poddy Bream

Legal limit

I don't know about you guy's but i think the new law stating all Dusky Flathead 55cm+ Must be released is the best thing that has happened in years. It has got me thinking about other rules, now i know i live in East Gippsland and if i want a feed of fish they are not far away so it might be easy for me to say this but what do you guys think about lowering the number of bream aloud to 5 fish each? Don't get me started on netting but i thought if we take the lead and drop the numbers of fish allowed we could build a better argument to stop netting in some of our great estuary systems. Just a thought would love to hear what you guys think??

I let my bream go anyway so i am all for it!!
Old 13-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Big Bream

With u all the way mate
Old 13-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5am1eys View Post
With u all the way mate
Thanks mate

5 fish 10 fillets increase the legal limit size to 30cm the people that want a feed no drama's, its only helping our fish stocks.

And guy's we really have to do something about the netting there are millions of fisherman we are a strong force, i know if the Gippy lakes were not netted in 5 years the fishing here would be nothing short of amazing.

Not trying to put people out of jobs or start a fight just don't get why a few can get rich when millions could benefit.

Bream fishing has become a BIG DEAL it would only get bigger if we looked after our stocks a little better.

I can not wait to see some of the Flathead caught in 5 years time when a lot more get a chance to grow
Old 13-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Blue Lip

I think 5 fish per person per day is plenty generous.
Up here in NSW the bag limit on bream is 20 and that is just ridiculous.
I wouldn't mind seeing all 35cm plus bream released as well, kinda like the flathead rule.
You are bang on the money about the pros mate.
Up here where I fish, they kicked the pros out just over 10 years ago and the catch rate on big, dusky girls has gone through the roof.
I wouldn't say too many estuary netters get rich in their game, most I know work bloody hard for a pretty measly income.
Old 13-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Banned

I agree entirely mate, 5 fish is more than enough, take it one step further and make a size limit on Bream 40cm.

Imagine how good Gippy Lakes would be without the netters as well I'm sure you have as i have seen some pretty piss poor practices from some of the netters in the Lakes. Look what happens everytime we get a flood, it absolute crap that they can take that many fish from the system and take full advantage of situations like that, not to mention the amount of dead swans and birds i see them pulling out of the nets and throwing onto the banks. Crazy they have not been bought out, something pretty suss about the whole thing if you ask me. Don't get me wrong i know a couple of netters and presume they do the right thing but i don't agree with it continuing anymore.

Last edited by Breamobsession; 13-04-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 13-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamobsession View Post
Imagine how good Gippy Lakes would be without the netters as well
Bring it on
Old 13-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Mature Bream

I think it's a great idea! Although it's easy for most of us to want the bag limits to be dropped/lowered when most of us practice catch and release!! But the fishos who take fish regularly might think differently.
Old 14-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Poddy Bream

[QUOTE=Breamobsession;546304]I agree entirely mate, 5 fish is more than enough, take it one step further and make a size limit on Bream 40cm.

That is the rule in my boat and you would want to be hungry before i let you kill a bream.

I agree totally with a ban on netting buy them out now before its to late.
Like i said i don't want to see NO ONE out of a job but the pro's far out way the con's in this case, and when it floods up here what certain people do is nothing short of criminal. Fair enough its a tough job usually passed down from one generation to the next. Some don't make a lot of money but with the money used to buy them out and with a government supplement (LOL) we could look into fish farming or something along those lines. I just want to look after this great sport as best I can and i know how much the fishing has declined over the years in the Gippy Lakes it is still a great place to live work and play and we catch plenty of fish BUT IT COULD BE BETTER!!. We are so lucky in this country if we were not so stupid it could be a lot better.

KILL OUR FISH KILL OUR SPORT...........SIMPLE
Old 14-04-2013, 06:01 AM
Mature Bream

No nets

I totally agree with you boys from Vic.Nsw is not much
Better the lake I fish has got more than 12 pros working
The lake at any one time. I go to the local fish market and
See the size of the bream very average just legal.The N.S.W
Government should put a stop to the nets and buy back the
Licences of the pros I no they need work ,but the government
Should compensate them,once they are gone the lake will
Thrive.More fishing licences sold more people fishing,tourism
Gear getting sold everyone's happy,and catching decent bream.
I live close to one off the larges salt water lakes in aus the govt
Bought the pros out, every day it gets better hope they can do
The same for my lake before its to late.
Old 14-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Big Bream

I reckon there should b lie a bracket, similar to flatties. 28-35
Old 14-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Blue Lip

Great idea in theory but it will never happen. What if the protection of bream led to a unforeseen impact on something futher down the food chain, say something like Prawn larvae or some sort of microscopic mollusc - who cares I hear you say? but if the bottom of the food chain fails or changes if can have massive negative impacts on the top of the food chain and entire fisheries can suffer as a result.

I don't think that fisheries authorities have enough funding, time or energy to properly measure the impacts and outcomes upon changes to any catch limits on a species that is still very common, in good numbers, in good health and reproduction ensures the species continues.

It's been mentioned that fishing brings in massive tourist dollars to coastal communities and I agree. But, if you lower the bag limit and increase the minimum size then it means that you are restricting our sport and the ability to catch dinner (A great reason to go fishing...) and that will have a flow on effect into tourism as less people will be likely to go fishing - as now they've got to catch less fish and put more work into catch bigger fish, so perhaps you've actually restricted a lucrative market and made it more of a Niche market (more than it already is?).

With changes to catch limits and size limits comes a greater burden on our fisheries enforcement groups - who already are under resourced. Budgets (Government funds) are needed to first re-educate the masses in regards to the new changes and then more funds are needed to enforce the changes. Where does one propose that this funds come from? I know...fishing licenses! Our fee's will go up per year, or the funds will be taken away from already worthy research, development and education to help save one species that is not in any danger of over fishing. So add in the increased cost to go fishing (Hey, I'm not paying $50 a year when I only fish every 6 months), the increased hassle...having the ability to catch less and spend more time and effort trying to catch bigger fish (This is boring, lets go play golf) to me equates to the average punter not coming to seaside tourism havens and actually decreasing tourist spend!

So yes in theory, in a perfect world I would 100% support a reduction in bag limits and size limits and the introduction of slot limits and the decrease in commercial fishing, the reduction of farming on land near rivers and the reduction of non fishing based boat traffic but in reality it will never happen and there are more important things that our fishery managers should focus on....like ensuring that we can still fish as we know it and not be locked out completely.

Dion.

www.crankalures.com
Old 14-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez fish View Post
Hey that's a fair point you've raised in regards to by backs and such like, but who funds such a scheme?
An already broke state government? Local council? Catchment management authorities?
What do you do with 12 pro's and they're familes once you've purchased they're gear and licenses back? What if they're generational fisher's and only know fishing? How does one justify explaining to a man with a family to feed that he can no longer do what he loves and has done for generations so as to protect a few fish species in which there is little or no scientific research into them?

I 100% understand where you are coming from mate, but I'm just trying to make a point that fishing to us is almost a religious experience but when money, votes and the general population is involved its not really that a big deal, currently.
Theres lots of management factors that come into play when deciding the future of fisheries and its sociological and economic impacts on a community.

As an example, Pro angler Bob jones, has a family of 5 (4 kids and a wife), his grand dad fished the local system, his great grand dad fished the local system and now bob is getting ready to hand the business down to his son or daughter to carry on.
Bob fishes (with nets & traps) for a variety of species on the lake - Blue swimmers, mud crabs in summer, he also nets for bream, whiting and mulloway to make ends meet. He also nets prawns during the warmer months for the lucrative summer trade.
Bob is told that he can no longer fish for demersal species due to the impact of by catch and can only trap Crabs and prawns. so for a period of about 4 or 5 months a year, he has no income, even during the summer months business is down because he no longer can net his local system to make ends meet...

Imagine a small town, maybe 2000 people and you need to tell half a dozen or so long term locals that they're livelihood has come to an end? The co-op suffers, his family suffers, his family history suffers (remember bobs family helped settle the town based on fishing) and soon bobs kids will move away and the town will slowly decrease as its lost one of its most important industry's...

I think we need to work together as a group of fishers to manage both sides of the arguments...the netters, the trappers, the rec angler, the avid angler and the environmentalist so that we can all live and fish together...

www.crankalures.com
Old 14-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez fish View Post

That is pretty much my view

But agree fisherman must be compensated if that's all they know then get into fish farming or give them a job looking after the lakes they rape sorry net. Sorry guys just a touchy subject with me netting is a HUGE problem in my backyard
Old 14-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Eye Dear View Post
That is pretty much my view

But agree fisherman must be compensated if that's all they know then get into fish farming or give them a job looking after the lakes they rape sorry net. Sorry guys just a touchy subject with me netting is a HUGE problem in my backyard
It is a HUGE problem, would not be as much of a prob if they were all a little more ethical about it, few bad eggs make a big difference to how they are percieved unfortunately.

They did it in Coota there is no reason they can't buy back the licences here. There is no shortage of jobs for fisherman in Gippy maybe just offshore instead of inshore lol. I agree they need to be compensated as for many it is stripping away all they know, often very generational occupation.
Old 15-04-2013, 05:01 AM
Mature Bream

Pros

Foster fisho you bought up some valid points.The family's that have netted this
Lake go back generations.I now what you are saying I don't want no one too
Loose what they have worked hard for.And I agree the govt has to do more
To fix the problem.Lets look at one the fishing licences the govt dosen't mind
Putting there hand out for money when me and my family go fishing.Now when
There are pros netting the lake and I'm still paying for a license I just can't
Justify that.I now the govt has got the money they just don't say it they don't
Want to deal with the real issues.The pros aren't the only problem I've seen
People take undersized fish wrong bag limits and fish sizes on the brag mat.
So there are a lot of issues that have to be addressed.I hope in the future
The govt and the fisheries can get there act together.

Cheers shane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: