Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Jigs

Jigs Want to find out which jigs perform best, drop in here…
Gamakatsu, Slider, Ecogear, Nitro, Assassin...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Poddy Bream

eBay jig heads, what are your thoughts?

For those who have actually used them, how did you find the jig heads that are found on eBay?

My biggest concern would be hook quality.

When a pack of 100 costs the same as 10-12 1/24 and 1/32 size heads I'm thinking they are worth checking out.

If they are heavily prone to rust that's not a big worry with 100 of each size they can just be disposed of after each days use and would still take a long time to go through.

Strength and sharpness is the biggest concern.

So how have you found them?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Blue Lip

I don't buy a lot of jigheads but I have bought a few from ebay just to check out what they're like. I reckon I still have 90% of jigheads I bought on ebay unused and likely never to get used because I find they are not quite suitable. The hooks on them are weak and bend easily. You mentioned rust, that's because they were probably designed for freshwater use on bass (US bought ones). If you're after the smaller heads and don't want to fork out big $$ to buy them, you can buy some split shot sinkers and a pack of jig hooks (Mustad Aberdeen ones) and crimp the split shot on the hooks yourself. I've done that for more than 10 years now and still catch fish on them. Only limitation to that is 1/4oz split shots are hard to find if you're after heavier jigheads. Anything lighter than that there's heaps of them in the market.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Big Bream

I bought some off ebay. They were rubbish.

The mojiko ones on sale at Ana_ond_ were ok, seemed identicle to more pricey ones. Around 50c each still for bream sized 1, 90c each for 5/0s. Ive been using them and they are good. Dont seem to rust quick, caught loads on em.

Just gotta wait for the sale. Wouldnt buy them full price. TTs and Gamas would be much the same price.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Big Bream

haha man i look on ebay so much for TTs
Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 AM
Mature Bream

I bought some many years ago and after a 23cm bream crushed one I haven't used them since, they were really fine gauge and far too soft and after one use they rust. I would only buy name brand jigs for sure
Old 10-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Big Bream

if your using light lines (<4lb) and light drag settings you wont have a problem, ive used them off the beach for tailor with 10lb braid and locked drag and they tend to get there bend on
Old 11-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Dead Set Legend

Heavier jigheads seemed like a good deal on fleabay, at less than a buck each. But you get the quality you pay for I have found.

1/4oz 4/0 Gamakatsu hooks, at least half had misaligned heads, some had casting faults and some had no keeper barb.

But I went through a heap trying to wrestle salmon up the rocks at Walpole, the placcies cost me way more than the jigs..

Smaller bream size jigs will have less faults as the problem lies with clearance in the molds when using HD hooks.

Look for better quality hooks like Gammas, Mustads etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gama hooks.jpg (358.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Mark M; 13-05-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Banned

Jigheads on E-bay - A sellers perspective

Hi all
I have read this thread with interest as I sell custom and commercially produced jigheads, both on fleabay and direct to fisho's, such as some of you on this forum.

I have been selling on fleabay for 5 years now and list for sale a variety of hook qualities including Mustad, Gamakatsu, Owner and Sickle Black Chrome in hook sizes from #5 to 6/0 and head weights from 1/32 oz to 1 oz.

I started making custom jigheads as I could not find the quality of product to use for a price that would not send me broke supporting the chain tackle stores. The quality of my product spoke for itself and I moved from local sales to fleabay and beyond in the last 8 years

What I have found in this time is that you get what you are prepared to pay for - most of the jighead customers on fleabay are after a bargain and top end hook quality is not paramount in their purchase decision - these fisho's are in the "95% who catch 5% of the fish" and have a lot of fun doing it. To this end, if you want to be successful as a jighead seller on ebay, you must provide a product that services this market. The issue comes when serious fisho's purchase these jigheads at less than 40c each with an expectation that they will be as good as the commercial variants at around $1.50 - $2.00 each.
The market for top end "tournament quality" custom jigheads targeting the "5% of us who catch 95% of the fish" on fleabay is small and selling Gamakatsu / Sickle Black Chrome jigheads is slow. The goal of listing these on fleabay is to advertise to those of you who peruse the listings and usually contact me with product queries, not accepting the face value of the listing. This then opens the opportunity for me to discuss your fishing needs and usually have, or can source a product to fill or exceed your needs.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of cheap, average quality jigheads on fleabay as this is what sells - if you don't meet the market demand and grow turnover you are out of business. These jigheads are not for the serious SP fisherman and your needs can be fulfilled at a much lower price by small custom producers than the commercially available packaged jigheads.

Thanks for your time in reading this post - I am aware that this is wordy, but I am passionate about fishing and what I do - felt some explanation was needed.

Please PM me if you have any queries.
Cheers
Old 13-05-2014, 01:45 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVBfishaholic View Post
Hi all
I have read this thread with interest as I sell custom and commercially produced jigheads, both on fleabay and direct to fisho's, such as some of you on this forum.

I have been selling on fleabay for 5 years now and list for sale a variety of hook qualities including Mustad, Gamakatsu, Owner and Sickle Black Chrome in hook sizes from #5 to 6/0 and head weights from 1/32 oz to 1 oz.

I started making custom jigheads as I could not find the quality of product to use for a price that would not send me broke supporting the chain tackle stores. The quality of my product spoke for itself and I moved from local sales to fleabay and beyond in the last 8 years

What I have found in this time is that you get what you are prepared to pay for - most of the jighead customers on fleabay are after a bargain and top end hook quality is not paramount in their purchase decision - these fisho's are in the "95% who catch 5% of the fish" and have a lot of fun doing it. To this end, if you want to be successful as a jighead seller on ebay, you must provide a product that services this market. The issue comes when serious fisho's purchase these jigheads at less than 40c each with an expectation that they will be as good as the commercial variants at around $1.50 - $2.00 each.
The market for top end "tournament quality" custom jigheads targeting the "5% of us who catch 95% of the fish" on fleabay is small and selling Gamakatsu / Sickle Black Chrome jigheads is slow. The goal of listing these on fleabay is to advertise to those of you who peruse the listings and usually contact me with product queries, not accepting the face value of the listing. This then opens the opportunity for me to discuss your fishing needs and usually have, or can source a product to fill or exceed your needs.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of cheap, average quality jigheads on fleabay as this is what sells - if you don't meet the market demand and grow turnover you are out of business. These jigheads are not for the serious SP fisherman and your needs can be fulfilled at a much lower price by small custom producers than the commercially available packaged jigheads.

Thanks for your time in reading this post - I am aware that this is wordy, but I am passionate about fishing and what I do - felt some explanation was needed.

Please PM me if you have any queries.
Cheers

These Gamas are quality stuff guys , These are the ones i use all the time.
Just for reference this 50cm snapper was caught on one of the 1/16th #2 jig heads and had no probs with it losing its sharpness and surprisingly it didnt bend , i kept smashing bream on the same jighead for the whole session LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10006922_649838145070352_8509193329269277810_n.jpg (158.3 KB, 2 views)

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods
Old 13-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarner447 View Post
Just for reference this 50cm snapper was caught on one of the 1/16th #2 jig heads and had no probs with it losing its sharpness and surprisingly it didnt bend , i kept smashing bream on the same jighead for the whole session LOL
i can say the gamma 604 are good i make my own and sell a few to mates they love them for heavier work but find the a little to heavy gaged for bream for me so turned to the mastad 32746 which i find sticky n sharp.wouldn't bother with any other hooks now
Old 13-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelipbenny View Post
i can say the gamma 604 are good i make my own and sell a few to mates they love them for heavier work but find the a little to heavy gaged for bream for me so turned to the mastad 32746 which i find sticky n sharp.wouldn't bother with any other hooks now
Thats interesting mate, the bream up here dont seem to mind these hooks

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods
Old 14-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarner447 View Post
Nice grub Jase
Old 14-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea63 View Post
Nice grub Jase
cracker colour stu

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods