Go Back   Bream Master Forums > All Things Camping > Campers, Tents and More

Campers, Tents and More Brands, styles what do you want to make your home away from home?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Mature Bream

Tent choices

Im going around Oz on a fishing and 4WDing trip for 6 months next year and I'm slowly buying all the gear ill need. Time has come to get somewhere to sleep but all the choices are getting hard. It will only need to accomodate the 2 of us. I was looking at three options

1- quick assembly tent
I was looking at Oztents and Black Wolf turbo tents. I like the idea of quick setup but they weigh in over 20kgs and the Oztent is 2m long when packed so it has to go on the roof.

2- Rooftop tent.
They are also quick to assemble. Bit of weight to have up high but if I got an Oztent it would do the same. Bit exposed to damage up there as well

3- Hiking tent
I like my old Macpac 2 man tent. Weighs 2 kilos but takes a few minutes to setup. Its a bit tight inside too. Thinking about getting a 4 man hiking tent to keep weight down but not looking forward to setup and packup.

If anyone has any experience with these tents and a recommendation on which way to go it would be appreciated. Also if anyone has done a long term trip any tips and tent choices would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Big Bream

I have an oz trail 4 man tent, it fits in a 40lt tub with a queen blow up mattress and two light sleeping bags. 5 mins to set up, even faster if its raining. Can use it without pegging down, great for trips with the mrs.

When this one is beat ill be getting a 2second 4man, the kind you throw in the air and it unfolds itself, these fold down to about an 80cm disc I think, don't camp in tents enough to warrant getting a nice canvas one but my experience with friends ones are, heavy, long, can't pack wet CRAP! I swag it 90% of the time so I do have a lot of bias towards tents
Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Mature Bream

Got a oztrail from point number 1. You are correct they are heavy and bulky. If it were half the size it would be great. I leave the fly attached to ours and basically all i do when i pull up is open and then stick in 4 peg and lift from the guts. from there depending on the wind/rain conditions i will unzip the guy ropes usually only one on each corner to pull the fly out a bit and done. Easy to setup at night because its so fast. Easy to dry when you get home too because of the fast setup and pack up. Packing up is as simple as bundle it all together at the end and then putting 2 straps around the lot and pulling it all tight and sticking it in the body bag.

But again its bulky and can be cumbersome.
cheers
ryan
Old 03-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Mature Bream

I have a Kathmandu 3 man tent which I have used for all sorts of trips. Weighs about 5 kilos and is surprisingly quick to put up. I think you'd be surprised how quickly you can assemble these tents when two people know how it all fits together. My cousin and I could get my tent up and pegged in about 2 mins. Plenty of room and its only somewhere to sleep. Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Fishing Tragic

Something worth thinking about is getting one of the cloth matting sheets for under the tent. Saves a lot of headaches when it comes to sand etc.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200789687...84.m1423.l2649

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 AM
Mature Bream

canvas! your going around oz for 6 months, you will encounter freezing nights and it will cop a fair amount of abuse.
we have one, got it about 20yrs ago. no rips, tears, leaks. nothing and its been around oz many many times. mind you it was about $1500. its a pyramid style with only one pole on the inside to prop up so takes along time to setup... packs down into a flat 1m x1m square
the people i know who do alot of 4wding around australia and the central sands all have canvas tents.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
canvas! your going around oz for 6 months, you will encounter freezing nights and it will cop a fair amount of abuse.
we have one, got it about 20yrs ago. no rips, tears, leaks. nothing and its been around oz many many times. mind you it was about $1500. its a pyramid style with only one pole on the inside to prop up so takes along time to setup... packs down into a flat 1m x1m square
the people i know who do alot of 4wding around australia and the central sands all have canvas tents.
I was looking at the Southern Cross canvas tents that had a centre pole. Look like a good option, easy to set up. Liking rooftop tents for their croc and snake resistance. Also looking at hiking tents from the US. MSR and mountain hardware make some nice big and light tents at a third of the AUS prices
Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Blue Lip

I have a Black Wolf turbo lite (non canvas)

They are great tents and go up quickly. However, packing them up is a little tough and this is the only downside to these tents.

The OZtent (RV) tents are really good too, a mate has one. If you get the larger awnings, they are an all in one package. As you say though, the length is a bit painful.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 AM
Mature Bream

You should give the oztent some consideration.
Yes they are a bit heavy but I would think they would be comparable to canvas. I have an RV5 and although they have to go on the roof, I find this an advantage so there is more room inside for fridge and other gear that require a "clean" environment.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Big Bream

Have a look at some overseas sites. Surprisingly cheap to bring in, relatively cheap and good quality. I got a family tent from REI in the states and it has been fantastic. Here's a link to their discount store, but look around the site as there's plenty in the main site too.

www.rei.com/outlet/

Also look at Cabela's, but read up on the tents - -Cabela's have good stuff, but can also have some rubbish mixed in there.

For Australia... try kangaroo tent city. They have a big range and are pretty helpful

http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au

Last edited by Cortinaboy; 03-04-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

I've had one of the original Oztents (the canvas green and yellow version) ever since they first came out.

I can't rate it highly enough.

I have seen their new Jet Tents and they're pretty good too. Similar in concept to the Black Wolf gear.

If your budget doesn't go that far have a look at the Coleman instant tents. I've got the 14x10ft version for the whole family (only released in the US) and am happy with it. The 4 or 6 man version sounds like it would suit you.

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 20-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Mature Bream

Tents

We have a canvas Black Wolf 2.4. Turbo. I wish I had bought a 3.0. However I have found this tent very satisfactory.In six years it has been up for at least 10 months and is still in good nick. The features I like , Tough , will withstand serious wind where others will fall over. It is also stable in wind it doesnt shake around and wont disturb you.The floor is also tough , impervious and wont flood as the sidewalls come up 200 mm. These are the times when you will appreciate the tent The canvas also keeps you dry as the seams dont weep. Very easy to erect even in the dark with poor light. Easy to fold into the bag as well and only 18 kg. If your travel window includes any possibility of rain and wind and cool teperatures then I would strongly consider this tent. They aslo hold their value !!
Old 20-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Mature Bream

Currently using a BlackWolf Turbo Lite 240 Plus.

Fantastic tent with heaps of space. The 'plus' is basically the size of a double air mattress which works well for us, and pretty much gives a second room.

Fast to setup, and personally i think its fast to pack up as well.

Downside is the space it takes up when travelling, but for a 6 month trip im assuming 4wd with roof racks? so wouldnt be a huge issue.
Old 22-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Mature Bream

I've got the OZtent RV3. Needs a full roof rack to hold it but it's awesome.
We just use the tent when overnighting or down the beach etc.. but pull out the extra side and front panels when we setup for a few nights and need more space to put our gear.
Get the fly sheet with it as it keeps the tent heaps cooler in the heat and stops condensation on those cool mornings.
One of the only tents you can put up in a howling gale when down on the beach
Old 18-09-2013, 03:29 AM
Big Bream

I really like the look of the Oztent RV's. Can anyone give me an idea on the practical space inside a RV5? I need enough room for two adults and two small kids. If the sides and front are used with the awning along with the floor mat, can that space be used for bedding as well?

Looking forward to your responses.
Regards,

T Curve

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: