Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > WA Bream Classics

Old 30-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Getaway Outdoors Kayak Series Hobie Round 5 Results

Final Results for Kayak Series Round 5
Hobie Rnd 5 of The Getaway Outdoors Kayak Classic Series

Nerves were aplenty as Hobie Round 5 of the Getaway Outdoors Kayak Bream Series kicked off from the Garvey Park start location in near perfect conditions, a rising tide, sunny conditions and a gentle breeze that was due to strengthen throughout the day greeted the 45 anglers. Garvey Park being an upriver location offered numerous options for anglers to chase their bounty for the day - with snags, rocky banks, sand flats, drop-offs as well as a few boat hulls the likely targets.
Round 5 was not just your normal round, with the final five spots in the 2015 Getaway Outdoors Kayak WA Grand Final up for grabs, as well as three highly sought after spots in the Hobie Kayak Bream Series Australian Championships to be held at Lake Macquarie (NSW) in October. The Australian Championships is the only avenue for anglers to qualify for the Australian team which will head to China in November for the Hobie Fishing World Championships.
When good anglers hit a quiet patch, it is not a matter of why but normally only a matter of when! And coming out on top of a tight leader board and finally getting his mojo back was Alex Griesdorf weighing in 3 bream for 2.145kg.
Alex secured victory in the last 20 minutes of the day and when asked how the day went he replied “It was pretty slow fishing for most of the day, I had compiled a bag of three but they were nothing to write home about. I was fishing ZMan 2.5” Slim Swimz in motor Oil with a TT lures 1/16 snakehead jig, and as time was getting on I had a about 25 minutes to go, when I watched Steve Owens and another competitor paddle past a likely looking stick in the water, so I paddled over and saw a big flash of a turning bream.
I was using 1/12 by now as the wind was up a little and pitched a Bloodworm Slim Swimz in and the big bugger grabbed it straight away. It was a cracker of a fish, and not being a veteran yakker like some, I struggled big time to get him in the boat, and he wrapped me around the snag and was all over the place. It was chaos, with me throwing stuff around in the yak trying to move position, trying to get the net and also wind the reel, but in the end I worked him into the net and I was pumped. It was an upgrade for a barely legal keeper so a good 800grams extra weight. So I’m stoked to qualify for both the W.A Grand final as well the Australian Championships”.
Alex paid special thanks to his sponsors Getaway Outdoors, Lowrance, Daiwa, TT Lures and of course ZMan Lures for all the quality gear that helps him stay consistant.
In second place and securing his ticket to the Hobie Australian Championships was Robert Sgambelluri weighing in 3 bream for 1.945kg, Rob headed downstream for the day and when asked how it went he replied “I headed downstream towards Garret Road bridge, but along the way I hit a sand flat that was on a nice deep bend near Redcliffe Bridge and started getting hits straight away. I pretty much had two keepers in the boat real quick on Z-Man Slim Swimz in Bloodworm when some rowers went between my kayak and the sand flat, which had me thinking they might switch off. But I thought bugger it, and put a cast in anyway and straight away I hooked my biggest bream for the day, after boating him I checked my watch and it was only 7.25am. I was pretty happy to have my bag that early but for the rest of the day I only picked up a few more undersize, and that was it.”
Rob fished with a 13 Fishing Omen Black rod, matched with a Shimano Stradic 1000 reel loaded with 6lb line, and 4.8lb leader. Rob thanked the sponsors of the series Getaway Outdoors, as well as the round 5 sponsors Hobie for a great event and of course the invite to the Hobie Champs.
In third place and showing he is the angler on the rise was young gun Joseph Gardner weighing in 3 bream for 1.935kg. When asked how the day went Joseph replied “The day went really well, I headed to Ascot straight away and 1st cast came up tight to a nice 36cm fish on a 2.5” Dragon Maggot in Motor Oil, I followed that up a bit later with another keeper on a Zman 3.75 Streakz. After that it slowed down a bit, so I headed down to the Belmont bamboos where I nailed my 3rd keeper on a Stike Pro MicroVibe. The key for me was to move it as slow as possible with good 4-5 second pauses”.
Joseph thanked his sponsor JML Anglers Alliance for all the gear they help him out with, as well as the WAFM crew for another great event.
The Hobie Big Bream was also taken out by the eventual winner Alex Griesdorf with his 20 minutes to go blue lip beast that dragged the scales down to 1.090kg, and certainly played a pivotal role in the bag of three Alex presented to the weigh master. This fish certainly added an upgrade of around 700grams to his total bags weight. This is proof that all tournaments can be won and lost in the last 30minutes, as they say in the big leagues NEVER GIVE UP……
A big congratulations goes to rookie of the round Reece Brain for cracking the top ten and also earning a W.A Grand Final berth, fantastic effort and well done.
A big thanks to Ian Sewell and the WAFM organisers, your efforts are truly appreciated, as are the awesome sponsors Getaway Outdoors, Engel, Tackle Tactics, JML, Shimano, Compleat Angler, Hobie, Tonic Eyewear, Damiki/Pontoon 21, Jarvis Walker/Watersnake, Atomic/Samurai, Shikari Charters and Halco.

1 Alex Greisdorf 3 2.145 BB-1.090
2 Robert Sgambelluri 3 1.945
3 Joseph Gardner 3 1.935
4 Graeme Kovacevich 3 1.925
5 Massimo Salamone 3 1.745
6 Robert Peach 3 1.660
7 Jesse Choy 2 1.195
8 Shane Owens 3 1.080
9 Matthew Jeffrey 3 1.050
10 Reece Brain 2 1.020
11 Hamish McNab 2 0.935
12 Brian Norton 1 0.930
13 Steven Owens 1 0.870
14 Brad Patman 2 0.855
15 Steven Galt 2 0.715
16 Tim Stylanou 1 0.405
17 Ed Bradfield 1 0.375
18 Brendon Knowles 1 0.355
19 Andy Mitchell 1 0.325
20 Craig Leatt-Hayter
20 Jenny Gardner
20 Brendon Chambers
20 Stu May
20 Phil Cockshutt
20 Michelle Pardini
20 Joe Franco
20 Chris Morris
20 Geoff Spadaccini
20 Brett Ozanne
20 Robert Cockshutt
20 Sam Zurzolo
20 Ian Abercromby
20 Michael Ricci
20 Anthony Elbers
20 Jordan Mathews
20 Lionel Mundri
20 Simon Capponi
20 Brendan Chua
20 Justin De Mello
20 Jake Gill
20 Szarn Tink
20 Dominique Cera
20 Didier Blanquart
20 Shaun Moran
20 John Sorrell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boats R3 2015 Slider pics5.jpg (456.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Boats R3 2015 Slider pics4.jpg (475.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Boats R3 2015 Slider pics3.jpg (454.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Boats R3 2015 Slider pics2.jpg (476.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Boats R3 2015 Slider pics.jpg (493.5 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Ian Sewell; 01-09-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 30-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Blue Lip

Congratulations to the fish capturers!
Sensational images Nick, they really capture the anglers excitement.

13 Fishing
Like us on Facebook for updates and pictures: http://www.facebook.com/13FishingAustralia?fref=ts
Old 30-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Mature Bream

Cheers for the day guys, well done to those who managed a fish too!
Perth has been notoriously hard thus far, so it was good to see 40 odd fish weighed in.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab253/searingtackle/webbanner_zpsnjjqxuuj.gif
Old 30-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Fingerling

Cheers for another well run round.

In your weigh in speech, you mentioned that you will be setting up a website to replace the WAFM. Can you possibly give us a link or the URL for this again.

Good luck to all in the finals
Old 30-08-2015, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Still a work in progress but it is live and running, we will be getting more up on a regular basis as we get the time.

www.westoz.fish
Old 31-08-2015, 12:20 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sewell View Post
Still a work in progress but it is live and running, we will be getting more up on a regular basis as we get the time.

www.westoz.fish
Cheers Ian...

Simon
Old 01-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Now with write up..

Thanks again to all of the competitors and sponsors for what was a great year, we hope to have the dates for next years season out very soon.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:05 AM
Mature Bream

Alex Greisdorf is an amazing Kayak Fisherman, i've never met someone so passionate about fishing from kayaks.

Well done Alex!!
Old 02-09-2015, 05:47 AM
Poddy Bream

Well done ALEX... and Thankx to WAFM and staff for 2015 and I can't wait for 2016 Yak/Boat Comps..

Come and get my Plastic <><

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: