Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:16 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
Don’t soak your braid bro

Totally not necessary
I figure the line is going to get wet any way and it means it doesnt burn my fingers when I tension the line onto the spool by running it between clenched fingers

What are the disadvantages of wetting the line.

I do have a set of polar fleece gloves I wet down for the big jobs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 528.jpg (104.1 KB, 143 views)
Old 08-03-2019, 09:25 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

heres another way to ensure no line twist when spooling up a spinning reel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 526.jpg (31.6 KB, 140 views)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:01 PM
Blue Lip

My only gripe to wetting it is that it’s a waste of time.

It offers no advantages at all

Using a proper line tensioner (glove/spooler/wife) etc will protect sensitive fingers

I used to spool multiple reels a week when I did reel work, only used to soak old mono in warm water that had developed memory.

The less water you have near your backing/spool the better, fresh or salt. If you soak the braid in fresh before you spool it, it makes it much easier for salt to wick it’s way through to the spool

It’s the old philosophy that a slightly wet towel will dry better than a completely dry one
Old 08-03-2019, 10:21 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
My only gripe to wetting it is that it’s a waste of time.

It offers no advantages at all

Using a proper line tensioner (glove/spooler/wife) etc will protect sensitive fingers

I used to spool multiple reels a week when I did reel work, only used to soak old mono in warm water that had developed memory.

The less water you have near your backing/spool the better, fresh or salt. If you soak the braid in fresh before you spool it, it makes it much easier for salt to wick it’s way through to the spool

It’s the old philosophy that a slightly wet towel will dry better than a completely dry one
Yeah I hear what you are saying - Thanks for the detailed reply - my reels fall apart mechanically before spool corrosion has ever been an issue

In fact I dont recall ever seeing any corrosion on "my" spools - but I usually have dry mono backing and only top shot my braid on in 100m lengths.

On the rare occasion I havent used dry mono backing to the spool - it has duct tape under it and over it.

While I dont doubt what your saying is true - its just never been "my truth"

So I'm assuming the issue is with having wet braid sitting on your spool and that causing problems - Is that the issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 524.jpg (50.9 KB, 136 views)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:26 PM
Blue Lip

Yep

It’s not just the base of the spool to be worried about either

I worked on a lot of bigger spin reels used for sail fish and mackerel, where line goes on and off regularly and at a great rate of knots, and the top and bottom of the spools can often become pitted.

I don’t know what you’re fishing for or where, but I always do what I can where I can to prolong life of my reels

Plus a pitted/salt affected reel will damage braid over time, it all adds up, especially if you’re paying close to a grand a reel in some cases

I’ve probably run out of stuff to say now, so i’ll Finish with “just my 2 cents”

Last edited by nagz; 08-03-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:55 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Yep

It’s not just the base of the spool to be worried about either

I worked on a lot of bigger spin reels used for sail fish and mackerel, where line goes on and off regularly and at a great rate of knots, and the top and bottom of the spools can often become pitted.

I don’t know what you’re fishing for or where, but I always do what I can where I can to prolong life of my reels

Plus a pitted/salt affected reel will damage braid over time, it all adds up, especially if you’re paying close to a grand a reel in some cases

I’ve probably run out of stuff to say now, so i’ll Finish with “just my 2 cents”
Thanks mate - yeah that has added some clarity to the situation - My big reels receive very little use and never see the action a sailfish reel would see.

And my little reels are often used in salt, fresh and brackish water in the same week. So that top shot gets rinsed in fresh pretty often. But a big run from the fish I chase is a genuine 50m - so most of my braid and backing stay on the reel at all times.

So I spose "My Truth" is - my reels dont get used to their full potential in salty water, so they dont experience the same conditions as one that get flogged out on the briney.

I spose its like a bike that gets ridden 7 times a week versus one that is ridden once a week - the parts are going to ware out 7 times faster. So while one bloke will say his brake pads last 7 years - another blokes using the same pads will tear them up in 1 year.

My reels just dont experience the conditions where salt is a big problem - but your advice is well received and I wont be recommending dunking the line while spooling up in the future.

I just wanted to get to the bottom of why it was an issue for some and not for me - thanks
Old 09-03-2019, 12:03 AM
Mature Bream

Spooling up a spinning reel and laying the line on without twist is achievable until the first cast and retrieve and the twisting begins and gets worst with time.No way around it in fixing it unfortunately,it's just how they work.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:53 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
No way around it in fixing it unfortunately,it's just how they work.
Let the braid line out of the spool with nothing attached to it (works best if you are inthe boat) and then wind up tensioning it with your fingers or using wet rag.

This will remove the braid twist completely but you need to do it regularly if it bothers you.

If you bait fishing or trolling trout lures, use the swiwel at the end of your braid.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 14-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Let the braid line out of the spool with nothing attached to it (works best if you are inthe boat) and then wind up tensioning it with your fingers or using wet rag.

This will remove the braid twist completely but you need to do it regularly if it bothers you.

If you bait fishing or trolling trout lures, use the swiwel at the end of your braid.
I don't have a problem with line twist as it's acceptable in the way it works
Old 14-03-2019, 08:44 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Yeah I remember trolling tassie devils at Eildon with 6lb mono - letting the line out the back every hour or so was a life saver - the swivels we used to use never seemed to work - if I had to guess I'd say there were "Jarvis Walker" brass snap swivels from Kmart 20 years ago
Old 19-07-2019, 02:03 AM
Blue Lip

Just put some new line on the new spool of the Bream gear.

Blown out set of bonds jocks soaked in Starbrite Salt Off and under hand pinch tension.

Has gone on nice and tight and straight - managed to soak the Salt Off in 1/3 line loads so there is plenty of it in the line pile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190719_155428.jpg (233.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190719_155440.jpg (303.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190719_154923.jpg (318.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 19-07-2019, 09:10 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Just put some new line on the new spool of the Bream gear.

Blown out set of bonds jocks soaked in Starbrite Salt Off and under hand pinch tension.

Has gone on nice and tight and straight - managed to soak the Salt Off in 1/3 line loads so there is plenty of it in the line pile.
That salt off is a clever addition to the process
Old 19-07-2019, 11:36 PM
Blue Lip

I've spoken to a few of the manufacturers and it's safe as houses.

It'll stay in the pile and each time it's wet it'll neutralise whatever salt creeps down into the stack. Every so often just peel it off and reapply as necessary.
Old 20-07-2019, 05:38 AM
Mature Bream

You use a 8000 size as your bream reel
Old 20-07-2019, 08:15 PM
Blue Lip

Just redid the 4000 FG Biomaster. God knows what the line was, had it on a spool that the lable peeled off...

This time just under the lip...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190721_100951.jpg (147.7 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Slazmo; 20-07-2019 at 08:17 PM.