Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 25-08-2012, 03:04 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
nice work! yeah i wanna try my megabass anthrax but nowhere to properly use it, I wish we still had the ballina rsl's massive floodlight still beaming on the water, used to bring in the bait and consequently the school jew.
now we have bugger all light and a jetty over the half the old fishing spot grrr

i really need to relocate
Plenty of Jew around here, just gotta know where to find em.

Very rarely will you catch em deep either, almost all mine come from a maximum depth of 6-8 ft, and most higher up again.

Last edited by chasenash; 25-08-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 26-08-2012, 07:37 PM
SLAZMO

Quote:
I wish we still had the ballina rsl's massive floodlight still beaming on the water, used to bring in the bait and consequently the school jew. now we have bugger all light and a jetty over the half the old fishing spot grrr. i really need to relocate
Can u actually fish off that new pier they have out the front of the RSL? Looks like they have lights on it which should be enough to shine into the water...
Old 27-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Blue Lip

tell me its a setup,surely you didn't get that jew on the mouse
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 27-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenash View Post
Plenty of Jew around here, just gotta know where to find em.

Very rarely will you catch em deep either, almost all mine come from a maximum depth of 6-8 ft, and most higher up again.
for real? now that u mention it... my pb was a 10kg/1m beast at the ramada on a killalure jewie 150 and they are shallow arent they... hmmm

ok well end the teasin mate, if possible can u plz put me outta my misery+ shoot me a pm with some clues...
(spots if u feel generous haha)

Topwater
Old 27-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Blue Lip

I mostly slow roll but have caught them on any retrieve you can think of even picking placcies up off the bottom,once i hooked up with a blade before i'd even closed the bail arm so the lure must of been sinking like a stone.Aggressive twitching when they are switched on or rolled and paused when they are not.
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 27-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Mature Bream

There's some good info in this thread and I think a few people have nailed the most important point to catching jewies - you've gotta find them first

I'm probably gunna get quite a few people disagree with me but I've found that if you're in an area where jewies are, they aren't really that difficult to catch. I've caught them on plastics, hard bodies, live bait and dead bait, all of which have seemed to have equal chances of picking up a fish. The real trick is finding them, and the best bit of advice I can give you here is that they're habitual, so if you notice one day a school swimming in to a particular hole as the tide comes in of an afternoon, you can bet they'll probably do exactly the same thing the next day.

If you're fishing somewhere where they occasionally swim past but aren't really that common (say like the south coast beaches of NSW) then that's where you're going to have to put in the long hours. Not because they're fussy fish, but because they just might not be there when you fish for them. If you're fishing somewhere where they get quite a few (like northern NSW) and you're not getting fish, then it's probably time to move on.

I've found tide and flow is more important than time of day, although when the two combine you usually have a good session The important part about tide though is not which tide is best to catch the fish, but where the fish are at each stage of the tide. Think common sense - as the tide drops, the fish will hole up in deep water. As the tide rises, they'll head out in search of food.

If you want to try plastics, 7" shads in both pearl white and nuclear chicken have done the most damage that I've seen. Fishing some high flow rockwalls you might need anywhere up to 2oz of weight to hold the bottom, depending on the current.

For hard bodies, I've found two lure types seem to do well. First is minnow style lures in the 90-120mm range that have a tight wobble and roll. Standout here is the Sebile Koolie minnow, they seem to love it. The other type of lure they seem to go nuts over is tiny cranks around 35mm long.... which is great when you're bream fishing It's not just the little fellas here either, the next meter long jew to be caught on a Cranka or Chubby won't be the last....

For live baits, well.... they really aren't that fussy. I've seen them hit the traditional mullet and tailor, but also bream, blackfish and whiting. Pretty much anything kicking is in with a chance. The upside of livies is that you don't tend to get as much rubbish fish on them.

For dead baits, again anything will really work. I can give you one tip here you might not have seen - try using fish heads In my experience fish heads (like say a whole bream, blackfish or tailor head) have a slightly higher strike rate with big jew than fillets, and you don't tend to get as much by catch either. Not sure why - would have though ray and sharks would be all over heads - but that's just what I've seen

Anyways, good luck with the hunt mate - try and concentrate on finding the fish first and I guarantee you the rest will come
Old 28-08-2012, 06:11 AM
Mature Bream

Brad, that's priceless info you've given there mate. As a longtime diehard jewie fisho I couldn't agree with you more. I have only got a handful on lures (all small fish) but caught hundreds on bait but the fundamentals remain the same.
Without repeating everything you said, you hit the nail on the head with regards to them being creatures of habit. I've got a few Sydney spots where I have about a 90% strike rate at a certain tide and moon phase. Spend the time to work out a spot and it will pay off.
The few I've caught on lures were on gulps in 5 and 7 inch jerkshads and 4inch swimming mullet, and the take was very subtle, like a bream bite. Strike hard at any thought of a hit.
Good luck with your search mate but they are a vvveerrry addictive fish and will certainly mess with your head
Old 28-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Big Bream

Topwater and any others that are struggling to find jew, especially those that fish the shallower faster flowing systems like the Richmond, take a walk along your river system at night on a high tide (preferably no moon, as i despise the full moon period up here) and listen closely.

You will/can here the jew boofing the surface, very similar to a barra and a decent jew makes a big boof as it sucks in a prawn or whatever off the top of the water, if you happen to find this, go back again the next night and see if they are there again, you'll soon work out a pattern.

If all else fails, start to smell for them (does anyone else get strange looks when they tell people, "i knew they were there because i could smell them" ).
Old 28-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Big Bream

Where I fish on the gold coast and have landed legal Jew and lost bigger ones u can hear and see the Jew brooding bait on the surface occasionally. Makes quite the noise. I normally throw bigger lures and vibes at Jew but I landed my biggest one this year on a 3 inch gulp swimming mullet. Scared the DohDohDohDoh out of me cos we normally only catch flatty and tarpon where we fish. Got a tiny bite. Went quite hard on it thinking it was a baby flatty. Nextinute I've had 50 mtrs of braid peeled off. Nothing beats seeing that big silver slab laying on the surface!
Old 28-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Blue Lip

If all else fails, start to smell for them (does anyone else get strange looks when they tell people, "i knew they were there because i could smell them" ).[/QUOTE]

People do tend to fall down laughing when you tell them you can smell jewfish.
I was introduced to this years ago and it has proven itself too many times not to be true. Especially when beach fishing.
They smell kinda like old cunji, Thats the best description I can give.
Old 28-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post

People do tend to fall down laughing when you tell them you can smell jewfish.
I was introduced to this years ago and it has proven itself too many times not to be true. Especially when beach fishing.
They smell kinda like old cunji, Thats the best description I can give.
Agreed, although i have no idea what old cunji smells like, the smell is very distinct and if you know what it is, it can't really be mistaken for anything else.

I've had nights in Sydney(Port Hacking), the South Coast(Shoalhaven River) and even here in Ballina when all the signs are pointing towards no jew being about(no bait, wrong water etc) but then you get that smell and you just know it's going to be a good night.
Old 28-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Mature Bream

Thanks guys for all the valued information
Old 28-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenash View Post
Topwater and any others that are struggling to find jew, especially those that fish the shallower faster flowing systems like the Richmond, take a walk along your river system at night on a high tide (preferably no moon, as i despise the full moon period up here) and listen closely.

You will/can here the jew boofing the surface, very similar to a barra and a decent jew makes a big boof as it sucks in a prawn or whatever off the top of the water, if you happen to find this, go back again the next night and see if they are there again, you'll soon work out a pattern.

If all else fails, start to smell for them (does anyone else get strange looks when they tell people, "i knew they were there because i could smell them" ).
bahahahaha jew smell?!?!?!?
ive caught quite a few over the years back in my live baiting days, never noticed a smell....
Old 28-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
bahahahaha jew smell?!?!?!?
ive caught quite a few over the years back in my live baiting days, never noticed a smell....
Thats because you don't know what your smelling.
Old 28-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Mature Bream

hmm i've also heard if your rub your lure on a jews belly after catchen 1 youll prob catch alot more