Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > General Tournament Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Blue Lip

Time to abolish the nonboater guarantee ?

Before the 2014 entry forms come out what are peoples thoughts about the subject ?

I personally find it unfair that a nonboater can get an entry in early then get knocked out at the last minute by people getting guarantees from the boaters in front of them months later.

Can lose airfares, accomadation,car rental and more at the last minute,apart from that they are left wondering for weeks if they have a berth in the Tournament ,time to abolish it of keep it ?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortytheyakker View Post
Before the 2014 entry forms come out what are peoples thoughts about the subject ?

I personally find it unfair that a nonboater can get an entry in early then get knocked out at the last minute by people getting guarantees from the boaters in front of them months later.

Can lose airfares, accomadation,car rental and more at the last minute,apart from that they are left wondering for weeks if they have a berth in the Tournament ,time to abolish it of keep it ?
+1
Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Mature Bream

Being a boater I think the guaranteed entry works well. Obviously there are pros and cons to each side.
With mounting costs for entries, fuel, accom, meals and frothies I would much prefer to offer guaranteed entry to someone and have them travel with me to keep me entertained on the long trips and also to share some of these costs.
Not sure the non boater field would be as big as it is if it wasn't for guaranteed entry as a lot of people coordinate their rides with boaters.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortytheyakker View Post

Can lose airfares, accomodation,car rental and more at the last minute,apart from that they are left wondering for weeks if they have a berth in the Tournament ,time to abolish it of keep it ?
Sounds a little unfair on the face of it, when you put it up like you have, but you have to look at both sides.

If a boater and non-boater pair up before hand - arrange accomodation, travel and shared costs etc together it would be just as bad if that non-boater didn't have a guaranteed place in the tournament. The boater could be left in the lurch at the last moment with no-one to share accomodation, driving duties, fuel costs for driving to the venue etc.

Without boaters the non-boaters don't have a spot to fish in the tournament. If boaters can't plan their travel with certainty they may be less inclined to come to tournaments, which in turn means less spots for non-boaters. With this in mind they need to look after the boaters first.

I would think that if a boater enters without including a non-boater they shouldn't be able to add one later and gazump a non-boater who has paid up.
They should be allowed to substitute if their original non-boater pulls out.

In the end the number of spots in the tournament available for non-boaters is limited to the number of boats. If you make it harder for the boaters your not doing the non-boaters a favour.

The ability to fish as a non-boater is really a privilledge - not a right. Its not easy. I fished one ABT as a non-guaranteed non-boater and it was a fantastic experience. Bit nerve wracking in the run up to it. I was in - I was out - I was back in again. Thankfully it was only 150k's down the road so I didn't have to stuff around with flights.

Crusty
Old 10-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Blue Lip

a few years back I paid my entry for the TAS Derwent round before Xmas. booked flights for my self and 2 other WA anglers plus accommodation and car hire etc then sat and watch for moths as non boaters jump infront of us right up until a few weeks before the event. more late entries came in and still we sat at the bottom of the list. I called the office to put my case forward like every one else every other time this happened and then was mocked online later. I had a work opportunity that needed to be confirmed so I had to take the safe bet and pull out of the event. the ABT refunded my entry but it was a nightmare to split the bookings and in the end I was left with a flight credit that through my own actions i was not able to use so lost about $840. non boating is a great way for anglers to get on the water and see how things work and no doubt the boaters have much greater costs and stress to deal with. its only fair the events are structured to suit them. on a side note, I traveled to the GF as a non boater after winning my round in WA and apparently made such an impression that I was not even noticed as i read later that no WA anglers attended so my choice is to get up and fish as a boater from now on. i cant wait for the 2014 season and hope to be on a new boat before it starts.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:26 AM
Blue Lip

Interesting points of view,,i have never thought about non boaters travelling or organising accomadation with there guaranteed boaters ,i thought peoples intentions were to guarantee themselves a place at that event,even if it means Q jumping and knocking some other poor bugger out.

I am wondering if a few non boaters will stop entering knowing the risk is to high to secure a spot ?,i am not sure if the Blackwood is a good comparison but the boaters out numbered the non boaters.(We did have a kayak event same day,some of these might have went as nonboaters)

Tasmania is a different kettle of fish,maybe the nonboaters should be paying $250 and boaters $125 to secure enough boats with the large expense incurred getting the boats over ? Or will we see a trend that the nonboater pays the boaters fee as well to secure a spot as we have been seeing lately ?

I can see this would be a great outcome for boaters if it becomes widespread but its a bit of a burden for the average battler non boater.

If nothing else i would like to see Boaters and their mates enter as soon as they are able to confirm they are right to go and the law changed so Q jumping is a thing of the past ,but having said that with a smaller ABT calender we might have boaters coming out of our ears to fish the avaible events.

Last edited by Shortytheyakker; 10-12-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:10 AM
Blue Lip

I will just continue to pay my boaters entry to get a guarranteed boater entry ... need boaters for coota and clarence - HINT ...😄
Old 10-12-2013, 04:23 AM
Mature Bream

I entered as a non boater a few years ago a few months before the tournament and was knocked out at the last minute by guaranteed entries, i havnt bothered to enter again and never got my money back either.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:32 AM
Blue Lip

I just thought of something,if your Guaranteed boater has to pull out at the last minute you lose your spot ,so even the guaranteed guys can be stressing till the last minute.

If the rules stay the same in 2014 i can see all serious non boaters paying part or all of the boaters fees,for premuium spots like Tasmania it might include some extra to help with boat fees, Accomodation or whatever.

For the boaters in the 2014 season i think we might see a few advertiseing guaranteed spots if you pay boat fees as well

I think if you are a boater in the ABT in 2014 you could be on a very good wicket .

Mind you Mallacoota seems to be more boats than nonboaters http://bream.com.au/modules.php?name...ticle&sid=1052

Last edited by Shortytheyakker; 10-12-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:51 AM
Blue Lip

I'll be boating coota if you want to go my guarantee old bendy mate. Love the irony of where we can sort this out. Two thumbs up colza
Old 10-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Blue Lip

I can see both sides of the argument. If you have used some initiative and entered 6 months before an event and organised all the logistics and lose your position at the final moment then that sucks and I can 100% see why people who have been stung may never return back to an ABT event.

On the other hand, I got a gaurenteed spot in the Tas ABT round last year purely because I wasn't going to plan for months and months in advance and book leave and spend a lot of money only to lose my position. Would I have bothered if I could have lost my position? No way. Is it fair to guys that had planned but not secured their position? Probably not but then again it's not that hard to get in touch with someone via facebook or the varying forums to help secure a position.

I've fished every ABT comp as without a secured position and never had any problem getting a start, maybe its just the high profile tas round that's an issue?

Maybe a way around this, moving into the future could be that if you enter upto 3 months before the event, then your position is guaranteed (dependent on enough boats) Ie, no non boater that enters after you can take your position?

www.crankalures.com
Old 10-12-2013, 06:36 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsterfisho View Post

I've fished every ABT comp as without a secured position and never had any problem getting a start, maybe its just the high profile tas round that's an issue?
I think you might be correct , i know a few people from W.A that have lost sleep over Tasmanian rounds
Old 10-12-2013, 06:37 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODIFIED View Post
I'll be boating coota if you want to go my guarantee old bendy mate. Love the irony of where we can sort this out. Two thumbs up colza

Then you will not have to fish together,,good thinking
Old 10-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Mature Bream

If you go as a guaranteed non boater and your boater blows a motor on pre fish and his weekend is done and the field is full, guess what your the first one on the bank without a ride, so it has its pitfalls. And if you do enter and pay your fee and do not get a gig they hold your money over until you enter next time and do get a gig, kinda like store credit
Old 10-12-2013, 06:59 AM
Blue Lip

Thumbs up

nooooo - its good to fish with modified - he cooks pizza on the boat

But ok mods - deal - i pay your entry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: