Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 04:05 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
Lol.

Curious about the submersion test. Was it deep enough to be in the salt layer?
It was 2m down with a ball sinker tied 30cms above the hook. The line was tied to a cleat on a floating pontoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10026.jpg (60.8 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 27-05-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:38 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Got it and it easily clips on to the button hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9864.jpg (35.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 9862.jpg (41.2 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

But it wasnt quite where I wanted it to be. So I decided to stick it on a Lanyard.

And while I was at it - I should attach my scissors and pliers aswell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9859.jpg (83.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 9861.jpg (43.7 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:44 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

But then I realised it wasnt quite long enough to be functional and it wasnt green enough
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9857.jpg (68.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 9855.jpg (61.1 KB, 105 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I figured I should be safety conscious and build a weakness into the system in case the lanyard got caught in heavy machinery.

So I superglued it to start with and that peeled off nicely under pressure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9856.jpg (54.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:52 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

But upon reflection I thought to myself - Would I really want to live if I lost this awesome new lanyard I'd just made.

The answer was "No"

So I stitched it up with a needle and thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9854.jpg (59.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Big Bream

I admire your homemade solutions.
However I don't like a really like the ultra long lanyard. Dangles and swings and can get in the road. I tend to wear a button up shirt and have the lanyard inside the shirt with the 2nd and 3rd buttons open. That way I can tuck it away when not using it.

Your first one is pretty much what I use. I find it great for the braid scissors and and the hook file. Hangs in the perfect spot.

You're right in that its too short for pliers - so I don't have mine on the lanyard. They live in a pocket or on the floor of the boat.
If you wanted pliers on the shorter lanyard you could visit Office works and purchase a retractor for keys and attach that to the lanyard and the pliers. They are under $5. Would give you the extra length to use the pliers without lengthening the lanyard. (or attach the retractor to your shirt and do away with the lanyard all together). The only thing against the retractors is they work off a metal spring - that given contact to saltwater will corrode away.

The other thing thats would work (if you can find them) are the magnetic joiners. I found some in an archery shop. Have a large split/key ring on either end and two good magnets inside some plastic molding. Pull apart and pliers are free to use then just reattach and they won't go anywhere.
Great for carrying a small net on your back, but would work well with pliers to.

Crusty
Old 02-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Blue Lip

Agree with extra long lanyard would just get in the way.
I have my scissors on Lantyard.
My Pen Sharpener in pocket held with the built in clip.
And a pair of DR Slicks for treble removal which clamps on to flap of breast pocket.
Old 26-09-2014, 11:42 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty View Post
I admire your homemade solutions.
However I don't like a really like the ultra long lanyard. Dangles and swings and can get in the road. I tend to wear a button up shirt and have the lanyard inside the shirt with the 2nd and 3rd buttons open. That way I can tuck it away when not using it.

Your first one is pretty much what I use. I find it great for the braid scissors and and the hook file. Hangs in the perfect spot.

You're right in that its too short for pliers - so I don't have mine on the lanyard. They live in a pocket or on the floor of the boat.
If you wanted pliers on the shorter lanyard you could visit Office works and purchase a retractor for keys and attach that to the lanyard and the pliers. They are under $5. Would give you the extra length to use the pliers without lengthening the lanyard. (or attach the retractor to your shirt and do away with the lanyard all together). The only thing against the retractors is they work off a metal spring - that given contact to saltwater will corrode away.

The other thing thats would work (if you can find them) are the magnetic joiners. I found some in an archery shop. Have a large split/key ring on either end and two good magnets inside some plastic molding. Pull apart and pliers are free to use then just reattach and they won't go anywhere.
Great for carrying a small net on your back, but would work well with pliers to.

Crusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
Agree with extra long lanyard would just get in the way.
I have my scissors on Lantyard.
My Pen Sharpener in pocket held with the built in clip.
And a pair of DR Slicks for treble removal which clamps on to flap of breast pocket.
Thanks for the replies fellas - I've had a chance to put the long lanyard through its paces........and both of you are right - they suck.......

But not as bad as sifting through the amount of pockets I would go through looking for my tools in winter.
(As the session got colder - I would gradually put on a Hoody - then Jacket - then wind proof Pants ) All my tools would be evenly spread through the layers of my out fit (not Ideal)

Maybe the lanyard was an over reaction to the problem. But one thing it's completely stopped, is me patting myself down like I'm searching myself for weapons. Its also stopped me leaving my tools behind after unhooking a fish

I have lengthened the loop and the smaller lanyards connecting the tools so they can be put into my pocket - (this stops them swinging around).

So while I wish I could trust myself to put my tools in an accessible pocket, first time every time - Experience has taught me I'm not capable of doing so.

The only time I cant trust myself to put my tools back where they belong is when I'm wearing the tool belt - So I might have to dust that off and get it back in circulation
Old 27-09-2014, 01:03 AM
Blue Lip

I got a doctor slick recently was $20 but im happy with it and should pay for itself in re-sharpened trebles over time
Old 27-09-2014, 03:06 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfinfisho View Post
I got a doctor slick recently was $20 but im happy with it and should pay for itself in re-sharpened trebles over time
Yeah hook files are the business - When I chuck out livies, I would never use the same hook for the more than one session. I thought the hook points would deteriorate between sessions.

But I've recently switched to black magic hooks and when I went to resharpen one to be used for the next session I realised that it was unnecessary. Even after a couple of sessions those hooks were still gripping my finger nail.

So just owning a file has saved me cash.
Old 13-06-2019, 04:55 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

When you buy as many cheap jigheads as I do - you're going to need a good hook file.

Its been 5 years and over 1000 hooks sharpened and this thing is still going strong.

Just put needle points on 80 hooks today.

So a big thanks to the fellas that recommended ezy-lap - its the file that keeps on giving
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 684.jpg (163.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 683.jpg (40.3 KB, 27 views)