Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 12-05-2019, 05:31 AM
Mature Bream

Difference in Lines?

Hi guys,
Long time no post! I've been out of the game for a good while now and now I'm back and looking into it, everyone has seemed to have upped their game (naturally). So my query is, what is the difference between say... This new Berkley X9 and an expensive Japanese line? I know there's factors like it can cast further, has less or more memory (don't know which is better) and can sink or float, but what makes you guys pick the lines you use? Just interested to find out. Any info will be appreciated

Cheers,
Anders
Tell big lies
Old 12-05-2019, 06:20 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

In my experience - price can occasionally be a very poor indicator of a lines quality and ease of use.

I'm currently using Kast King, 8lb, 4 strand - If you buy it in bulk spools - it works out to be $4 for a 100m top shot (used to be around $2.75 a top shot)

Its out performed braids that cost 10 times as much. Its supple, almost zero memory and very well behaved - its still requires good line management, like any other braid, but I wont buy expensive braid in flashy packaging again.

This may sound like an endorsement but it isnt - buy at your own risk - I did get a dodgy batch of 6lb - but the rest of spools I've bought have out performed the price tag by a big margin.

Another factor that may make my comparisons unfair is the fact that I've only used FG knots with the Kast King.

In the past, I used double uni's and 5 turn surgeon knots and I firmly believe these knots cause tip and guide wraps while casting and other issues which can negatively impact your view of how a line performs.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Mature Bream

If you're buying a quality 8 strand from Toray, Unitika, YGK etc (any of the big reputable japanese PE's really) then rest assured the vast majority of the time it's going to be better than your typical fused junk you get domestically for 20-30 bucks a spool.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
If you're buying a quality 8 strand from Toray, Unitika, YGK etc (any of the big reputable japanese PE's really) then rest assured the vast majority of the time it's going to be better than your typical fused junk you get domestically for 20-30 bucks a spool.

I agree...….For me either duel or YKG purchased overseas give me the best service.
A lot will depend on what, where and how you are fishing and your target species. For us here thin and reliability are paramount in our lines. We cram as much as we can on small reels. Small light outfits make fishing fun and get our lures deeper where we need them to be. Smaller thinner lines will weigh less and have less guide friction especially if they have a good slick coating on them so you can cast further.
From what I have seen domestically the new BerkleyX9 looks OK but is confusing as to its actual breaking strain and at this point unproven. It is a similar price to an overseas purchase. Nearly all Japanese braids will break at or close to the stated breaking strain while cheaper and American braids normally break a fair degree higher

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: