Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Electric Trolling Motors

Electric Trolling Motors The ultimate bream fishing accessory...

Old 09-03-2003, 11:42 PM
Poddy Bream

Minn Kota Riptide 55

Have used my Minn 55 on my Quinie 445 Wildfisher for about 4 weeks now. Just did 2 days trolling and manoeuvreing. Still in love with it.

Read a crit that said the autopilot was pretty useless. Don't agree with this. While it might be a big ask of the unit to take a boat down the isles of an oyster lease in wind. It is great for keeping an approximate course along a river or along a shoreline. One thing I have noticed is that wind and current affect the boat far less if you keep the main motor in the water to act as a keel. Ive seen some guys getting blown around all over the place while I have run pretty straight with the motor down.

My only crit is that the manufacturers should have made the foot control with an on off switch for the autopilot. If you are running the motor from the rear it means going up to the bow to press the button. Even if you are on the lean seat, its something you have to do with your hands while you should be fishing.

I havnt found the 55 underpowed yet, and have used it in some pretty heavy winds and in strong current.

This is my experiece so far, but Ive only flogged it for 4 weeks.

pete
Old 14-03-2003, 10:37 AM

Kota55

Hi Cyclops
I agree with you these things are great.
I fished the Perth round last weekend and was fishing in the yacht clubs in strong wind and found it difficult as I am not used to the controls yet.
By the end of the day things were much better and I was feeling quite confident operating in the pens.
Old 14-03-2003, 09:23 PM
nee Paulic

I love mine

Hi Pete,
It was probably me who said that about the auto pilot, horses for courses every one is different.
They do make Lure fishing a totally different experience, mine has shorted out recently due to corrosion and I have had to send it east for repair.
A bit of advice, invest in the extra warranty and some sort of anti corrosion product like a spray and apply it liberally to all surfaces and especially the foot pedal plug.
My only criticism is that it is sometimes too slow to turn, and Perth is the third windiest city in the world, when it's blowing in excess of 15 knots it's hard to keep on course.
Geoff
One strike
DAMN!, I hope it's this good again tomorrow.
The Angler Formerly Known As Paulic
Old 15-03-2003, 05:15 AM
Poddy Bream

I've had a 55AP on my Hornet 445 for about 6 months. I like the shaft, which is nearly impossible to break, and the general robustness of construction. The AP is fine as long as you don't need instant response - eg around racks.

However, I don't like the design of the foot control at all. Why is there no reverse? Why is the AP on/off pedal at the front where it constantly gets knocked on/off accidentally? Why is the speed control so difficult to adjust with your foot? A good product could be a whole lot better with some simple thought.

Cheers

Strewth
Old 16-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Poddy Bream

Hi fellas, thanks for the replies.

Strewth, does yours have a switch on the foot control for auto pilot? Mine doesn't.

I was fishing the Murray yesterday, spinning trout. I found that if I was in very strong current heading up stream, by this I mean strong enough for the 55 to need to be on full power just to maintain position, the auto pilot would get lost and turn either clock or anti clock till it was pointed in the other direction. I think it had something to do with vibration from cavitation on the shaft as the water rushed past. The manual mentions something about vibration cauing the compass to flip out.

This was very frustrating, particularly when a 4lb brown is following your lure and the boat suddenly swings madly away down stream and you have dive on the controls. No problems in slow current or heading down stream. Any body else experienced this?

I hope to get a trip in to Port Macquarie soon and test it out tracking along some of my favourite creeks on the Hastings. You guys on the coast don't know how frustrating it is to be reading all the posts from fellas out brimin every other day.

pete
Old 16-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Poddy Bream

AFAIK all foot controls are the same. The small rectangular pedal at front right allows you to toggle between the AP and "momentary" manual. When it is down, the prop stops and won't start until you give it a burst with the front left pedal.

I've never had probs with the AP. Did you check that the small black collar was engaged properly? If this pops out, you get the behaviour you describe. It's very easy to miss.

Cheers

Strewth
Old 16-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Big Bream

Strewth, that small black switch you descibe allows you to toggle between momentary and constant, but doesn't have anything to do with the autopilot. The autopilot can be on when that switch is in either position. It is controlled by a button on the head of the motor. Autopilot refers to the system that controls the steering of the motor, making it try to maintain a course in the last direction that you pointed it.

Cyclops, I've had the same thing happen to me where the motor just turns round 180 degrees and stops for no apparent reason. One way to stop it is to give the steering pedal a little squirt in any direction when it starts to do that.

I read in the book that if the head is off level by any more than 5 degrees the electronic compass that controls the steering will not be able to cope. This can happen when a boat goes past and throws up some wash, it also happens if you stand on the edge of your boat (depending on how stable your boat is).

James.

Last edited by jimi; 16-03-2003 at 10:12 PM.
Old 16-03-2003, 10:26 PM
Poddy Bream

Hi James

Thanks for the reply. Yep I hit the steering pedal and problem stops. But it came back again. Only when going upstream full throttle which makes me think that vibration is doing it. But its a problem when your lure is being attacked and your body is tuned away from the control pedals. I could try putting the motor a little deeper but the water can be very shallow over the gravel I am fishing.

No wakes, collar locked down in correct position. But I'm not sure about the 5 degree bit. Two people fishing, casting to same side, but I'm on the lean seat and partner on the rear platform. Hornt Wildfisher 445 is pretty stable. As I said, the manual mentions something about vibration and the compass.

But it is all food for thought.

pete
Old 17-03-2003, 12:27 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

My A.P. does the same 'drunken dance' every now and again, I have been told that the compass is very sensitive, and to watch where I kept the front anchor - it can throw it off.

Another test is to be going almost full throttle past a big metal structure, sends mine mental every time...

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 17-03-2003, 02:03 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
One thing I have noticed is that wind and current affect the boat far less if you keep the main motor in the water to act as a keel
That is very true indeed. I have a Motor Guide 54 on my 445 Wildfisher & it has plenty of power. I fished this morning in heavy current & 15 knots of breeze no problem at all & still had power to spare. I must say Cyclops , Strewth & Steve you guys have excellent taste in boats
Old 17-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Poddy Bream

Ahhhhh Dave, The anchor! I didn't think of that. Sounds like it could be the culprit. The deeper the motor, the worse it would be because the head would be closer to the pick.

Sounds like you have hit the nut of the problem. I will report back after next weekend.

Thanks
pete
Old 19-03-2003, 01:05 AM
Poddy Bream

Further on this, I have spoken to a dealer and he told me that some, but very few, minns do have problems with the compass and need to be repaired under warranty. The problems manifest as have described, getting the wanders.

pete
Old 19-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Poddy Bream

Further, further on this, I was told the Minns that come here from US have to have a different compass for the southern hemisphere. This has caused some to have probs.

pete