Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Old 26-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Fingerling

Double Uni Knots

Hi all,

The Double Uni knot for line to leader seem to be pretty popular and is infact my preferred method. Just wondering how many turns you use in both main line and leader, assuming main line to be Fireline, and wether you vary the number of turns with different weight leaders, and if you double the Fireline or use it single. I have been using 4# Fireline to 4# Vanish - 6 turns in the single Fireline and five turns in the Vanish, ensuring knots are extremely well lubricated and drawn up very slowly so as not to create any heat from friction, have experienced no problems with the Vanish since adopting this method, best fish to date an 80cm. Flathead. Previously was experiencing regular problems with the knot strength of the Vanish, I've tried to many different knots to list and this is the only one I find totally reliable.

Interested to hear your thoughts Geoff.
Old 26-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Big Bream

the smaller the diametre of the line the more turns you need to do. because fireline is so thin, you usually need to do a turn or 3 more than with mono.

lubricating a knot before tightening is one of the most important things you can do. mono "burnt" by friction is something like 70% weaker. i wonder if fireline is the same??

the strongest knot to join fireline to mono is a twisted leader knot.....it takes longer than a uni but is worth the extra peace of mind.
Old 26-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Big Bream

gday guys
i have just been usijng platypus platnium for leader in the 8 lb and i just use 4 turns for both lines.
thanks michael
Old 27-01-2003, 03:50 AM
Big Bream

I've seen advice to use double the usual number of turns in Fireline. I still haven't tried using Fireline so this isn't personal experience talking.
Old 29-01-2003, 08:55 PM
Mature Bream

I dont particularly like the twisted leader knot when attaching 8 lb vanish to 4 lb fireline(thats all ive used it with). The line seems to tangle up around the knot, but I think maybe Im not tying it quite right.

Matt
Old 30-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Mature Bream

twisted leader knot

Hey

i went fishing yesterday and I now definitely think that the twisted leader knot was causing tangles. It doesnt seem to sit flat in the line, it always wants to twist and the fireline will catch loop up and catch over the knot almost immediately (its hard to explain what I mean). I think that it was also catching loops and causing loops of line to be thrown off the reel. After switching to the double uni knot I dont think I had any problems.

However, Im not sure if Ive been tying my twisted leader knot quite right so that might be why it ahsnt worked for me.

Matt
Old 30-01-2003, 06:07 PM
Big Bream

Regardless of the breaking strain of either the leader or main line I always use 6 turns, easy to remember and never caused a problem and slips through the rod eyes with ease

Your own boat is better than somebody else's tricked up Hornet
Old 30-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Mature Bream

I generally use 6 turns on the fireline and 4 turns on the leader, lubricate well and have no problems with the knot. Though when i get snagged good and proper, its the doub. uni knot that always gives first thus I have to re-tie the leader and lure. This is starting to bug me, I dont mind losing rigs-its part of the game but why always at the leader/line knot and not at the lure knot. Is it cause my leader line is too heavy? I use 15lb leader and 6lb fireline.

Matt
Old 30-01-2003, 09:04 PM
Fingerling

Hi Matt,

What sort of knot do you use to attatch the lure? Don't necessarilly have any answers to your problem just interested.

Geoff.
Old 30-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Mature Bream

I remove the swivel off a small black swivel clip and tie a 6 turn uni knot onto the clip which then I can simply clip on/off various lures without re-tieing. The clip is small and affects movement minimally. I have caught bream on both clipped lures and non-clipped lures so I guess the clip might scare the fish slightly but for ease of changing lures I go with a clip