Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Tips and Hints

Tips and Hints Share Your Experience and Help Others Get That Dream Shot

Old 25-09-2011, 03:28 AM
Poddy Bream

mangrove jack

Hey im from the goldy and would like to know some information on mangrove jacks.. obvioulsey they like snags n structure.. what technique n lures do you you's.... n pontoons or mangroves or bridge pylons???..
Old 25-09-2011, 04:30 AM
Blue Lip

Do a search under -shout out to the jack masters - jack masters should be enough. Pat
Old 25-09-2011, 04:44 AM
Blue Lip

Probably easiest way to get a jack is collect some livies and drop around a bridge at night and wait.
My preferred lure is a bassday sugar pen but caught (and lost)them on most diving minnows, soft plastics etc. Few reports coming in on fish being caught and i got smoked today down at currumbin creek so good time to get out there.
Old 25-09-2011, 05:02 AM
Banned

I caught my only jack next to a bridge pilon, heaps of reports of them beig caught in mangroves, bridge pylons and pontoons. Hope this helps
Old 25-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Big Bream

i have caught about five none big but all have been on walls in canals with a sandy with the odd rock bottom on little surface walkers
Old 25-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamble1990 View Post
Hey im from the goldy and would like to know some information on mangrove jacks.. obvioulsey they like snags n structure.. what technique n lures do you you's.... n pontoons or mangroves or bridge pylons???..
Theres a reason why they are called "Mangrove" Jack
Lures around the 60-100mm size are good sizes mixed with a erratic retrieve should get you some fish.
Old 25-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born to FISH!!! View Post
Theres a reason why they are called "Mangrove" Jack
Lures around the 60-100mm size are good sizes mixed with a erratic retrieve should get you some fish.
That only one of many hidey holes they can be found. Probably more Jacks come off of manmade structures than any mangroves -if you were at Hinchinbrook yes the first place to look but on the Goldy pontoons,bridges and rockwalls are likely places. One interesting thing of note mentioned in the latest Fishing DVD was Jacks like snags that don't get exposed on the lower tides and tend to move up and down a snag rather than in and out of mangroves (like barra). So good snags with access to deep water close. Snags off the end of "points" like say a point at the entrance to a feeder creek where bait has to swim past. If you are a keen observer any bait swimming along that give a snag a wide berth may indicate a predator within so keep your eyes open. PAT.
Old 27-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Poddy Bream

Cheers for the info.. Went targeting them today didnt do much good got a 36cm bass to the fourk on a gold bomber wasent expecting a bass to eat that.. and my mate hooked a jack had his drag locked up n it was still pulling...
Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Fingerling

With all this talk about MJ i to headed out last night and have a run on the board. A 53cm model fell to a slab of mullet on the light bream set up...run in tide under the bundall Rd bridge. Live poddies and hearing didnt get a touch. when the tide turned i got a few more hits but no hook up's.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Poddy Bream

Relli thats sick... I been trying for 2 weeks now arvys n early morns in the coomera apparently its been producing the goods.... but still yet to see been flicking 70mm culitva shads one that looks like a mullet n a gold on nothing but bream on 15lb line hah finesse ey.. tryed a plastic hooked up n got away wont belive this bent my nitro jig head hook was rageing...
Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Big Bream

I can beat that!
I had planned a jack fish both sat and sun but went out with the boys fri night (unplanned) got too drunk and was so hungover i couldnt move till sunday lunch, so i went out sun arvo and as I was launching everyone was coming in, having spent all weekend inside i didnt realise a thunder storm was coming sun arvo... so I went anyway thinking i'd out run it up river, got to my spot and I had driven into it!... turned around and went to another spot, 2nd cast hooked a jack got it to the surface twice, saw it twice and almost had it to the boat when my line went slack.... my bib on my lure had broke off!!! brand new lure!!! second cast!!!.... then i got rained on and went home!.... not happy at all!

btw the way i was running 10lb braid and leader on a sienna which has only 3kg of drag (which was locked) and the lure broke!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamble1990 View Post
Relli thats sick... I been trying for 2 weeks now arvys n early morns in the coomera apparently its been producing the goods.... but still yet to see
The Coomera does and is producing but livies are probably your best bet at the moment.

It's hard to fish as it gets so much boat traffic and these really irritating pests that fly around and annoy you. My mate said they are called "jet skis"?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedz View Post
The Coomera does and is producing but livies are probably your best bet at the moment.

3 of us fished it this morning lots of bream some flatties & trevs but no jacks
Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Mature Bream

Which part of the river are you guys fishing? East or west of the Hwy?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedz View Post
Which part of the river are you guys fishing? East or west of the Hwy?
East

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: