Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > General Tournament Chat

Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Blue Lip

Abt 2012

Here is what I just found on the BREAM website - a direct quote on next year's ABT plans

"Here’s what we currently have planned for 2012 BREAM. With the popularity of teams events, we’ve decided to do fewer BREAM events, but do them better.

• Eight BREAM Qualifiers nationally.
- Qld x 1
- NSW North x 1
- NSW South x 1
- Vic x 1
- Sa x 1
- WA x 1
- TAS x 1
Plus an extra qualifier in the state with the GF for that year. Therefore an extra one for Qld in 2012 and an extra one for Vic in 2013.

• All qualifiers the same format
- boater/non-boater.
- 2 day events with one day prefish.
- all events live streamed.
- live stream to include latest scoreboards, updated by the minute.
- expanded coverage in local magazines.
- More than one person to qualify for AFC per season – more like four will come from Grand Final and AOY/Rankings performances. (First episode of AFC Series 8 will air on Nov 6, 2011, BTW).
• Win a bass boat at the GF (same as 2011).
• AOY now national, not state based.
• Rankings points modified to suit new numbers of events.
• Around five qualifiers per division per event (40 boats) with the balance of GF participants (circa 10 anglers per division) coming from the national AOY points.

In 2011, our feedback indicated that price was a sensitive issue, rather than payback percentage. As in anglers would prefer a $100 tournament with no payback than a $300 with 90% payback. Is this still the case? Note that ABT will position these events at a higher price point/payback percentage than a standard teams event, but lower than the Australian Open. Maybe $200 to $300 for a boater and $100 for a non-boater.

It’s a shame to see the Super Series events on the shelf for the moment. Most people indicated that the time required to do a 3-day event was becoming more difficult to get. Three day event options will still be there for Australian Open, Queensland Open and Grand Final.

Now, we know that there will be disappointment that there are reductions in qualifiers in each state, but we’re working to minimise the impact of this. For instance, for a mainlander, instead of the Tassie Tour being made up of 2 x ABT Qualifiers, it’ll now be made up of a single Qualifier and a Tassie BREAM Classic event the weekend before. You still travel down and fish two events, it’s just now you’ll fish one with your mate.
From an industry point of view, we think that it’s important to keep the BREAM events at this level. There’s plenty of one-day classics to get an appetite for tournament fishing and for teams fishing, but ABT is the only place you can challenge yourself as an individual and get real coverage – not just some internet glory – for your achievements.

As such, the Tour Guide is an integral part of ABT’s formula and will remain in its current format – printed copies mailed to members, sold copies through newsagents and free-to-read online. The enhanced statistics sections seemed popular this year – we’ll keep them going.

Happy to wear all the criticism you can dish out, but please try to keep comments constructive. Think about balancing the ‘good for me’ and ‘good for the sport’ versions of your experiences. "

What do you guys think of this? I'll be a bit dissapointed that there is only 2 ABT rounds in NSW. Personally I find it easier to fish the singles events, more so than teams. I don't need to make sure team mates can make the comps as well.

www.crankalures.com
Old 02-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Big Bream

Hope it dont stay like that as in wa we like having our 2 rounds if it go to one then that's crap cause we don't have as many comps as the east.... 4 classic rounds and our gf if u qual to get other than that it's just go fish when you can.... We need 2 over here much better that way

Sponsored by:
DUO LURES AUSTRALIA
Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Blue Lip

Doubt WA will get 2 again for a good while Haydo.
I'd say ANT had to do something with so many people getting into the team events these days, personally I think it's good it makes the qualifiers more prestigious and winning one even harder. Does suck a bit only having 1 qualifier close to us Dion but it's all for the best, and good to see AFC get a kick, it's been stale for a while now.

I know a good bloke if you want a team mate Dion, works for him self so he can go fishing anytime.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Mature Bream

think the dropping to 1 only event is pretty poor- i entered my 1st ever ABT event at the blackwood this year and even managed a double donut hahaha but the atmosphere and the way all the guys were with my questions about techniques lures etc was great and made for a great weekend - alot of rats just not that 1 legal i wanted

the numbers seem too be pretty good and if anything i guess will just put more pressure on that system especially prefish day

i might be speaking out of school here but id be interested too hear if a prefish ban the day before the event would be more beneficial than the current setup - i did get too prefish and heared all the stories from people saying they wouldve had a 4kg bag etc etc if the comp day was the friday and wondered was all the crews hitting the area some alot harder than others maybe a bad thing???
Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Blue Lip

I wonder if the kayak section drops back to one a year in each state ?

I would need more time to digest it but halving the events does not look to good at first glance , would it be worth being a member of the ABT for one event a year ?

Whats this team events folks are talking about do they mean the BETS series ?

Last edited by Shortytheyakker; 02-09-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Mature Bream

With the many teams comps about these days, it no doubt had an influence on the ABT individual events.

This year for me it got that there was almost an oversupply of comps and you really had to get selective of what you did.
Me personally, the ABT comps are my favourate with the teams events a second, so I am in a way disapointed with the move.

But ABT numbers were dropping so I suppose they had to do something.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Blue Lip

Unhappy

Very sad to see this. I thought there was a great turn out for the abts last year and only to grow more and more over here. This should be thought out more before decisions are finalized.

pb 47cm placcies Murray River
pb 44cm hards Murray River
Old 02-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortytheyakker View Post
I wonder if the kayak section drops back to one a year in each state ?

I would need more time to digest it but halving the events does not look to good at first glance , would it be worth being a member of the ABT for one event a year ?

Whats this team events folks are talking about do they mean the BETS series ?
The teams events the folks are talking about are as you said BETS, Squidgy Comps, Vic Bream Classics etc. The turnouts for these events are big, in some locations 80+ boats and i really enjoy doing them. I'm not dissapointed to see ABT's reduction in comps, i guess it will make it more prestigioius to win one.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Blue Lip

Cheers Stick i am in Perth we don't have them but i have beem impressed with the Bets Series and the $20,000 first prize in the Granny is a tidy sum

Also learned a few tips from when Mangos interviews winners,,
Old 02-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Big Bream

Not that concerned about the amount of events but as said in WA we dont have teams events so it could well be the death of ABT here as no benefit in paying a membership for 1 event.If it comes to fruition makes my boat choice that much simplerGood luck with it all as we know where only Mexicans over here proping the East Coast up with Commonwealth Royalties
PB SP 42
Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Blue Lip

Live streaming the remaining events is a positive move and updateing of score cards etc,,its just fantastic to be able to watch the weighins live on your computer,,it was a great move when the ABT started that concept,,
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltonlad View Post
Not that concerned about the amount of events but as said in WA we dont have teams events
Not sure if the above is a mistype but dont we have a fair few classics and arent they teams events.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Mature Bream

No doubt it will be disappointing if WA only has 1 ABT event. There isnt much point joining up for one event and possibly getting into the GF which takes a fair bit to get over to do.

There's been a fair bit of invested time and money in getting prepared for these events. Boats, tackle, prefishing etc.

Its socially great events with people away and in similar locations.

It will be sad if we only have Mandurah and Perth as our Classic rounds and only one other arena for the year.

Oh well, rules are rules and you normally like em or not. People will make their choice.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Blue Lip

I would drop the wa comp an just do tazzie and lake mac as a non boater..

Last edited by bender; 02-09-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Mature Bream

Although I can understand the individual comps being cut back due to the popularity of the teams events.
But as mentioned by another guy on the FM site.
It will now be harder for non boaters to get into the mix.

Not many guys new to the world of bream luring know guys to team up with in comps. Most guys already have teams in place.

I'd say most people started thier life in bream comps as no boaters.

Oh well . lets see what next year will bring.