Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Jigs

Jigs Want to find out which jigs perform best, drop in here…
Gamakatsu, Slider, Ecogear, Nitro, Assassin...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Poddy Bream

eBay jig heads, what are your thoughts?

For those who have actually used them, how did you find the jig heads that are found on eBay?

My biggest concern would be hook quality.

When a pack of 100 costs the same as 10-12 1/24 and 1/32 size heads I'm thinking they are worth checking out.

If they are heavily prone to rust that's not a big worry with 100 of each size they can just be disposed of after each days use and would still take a long time to go through.

Strength and sharpness is the biggest concern.

So how have you found them?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Blue Lip

I don't buy a lot of jigheads but I have bought a few from ebay just to check out what they're like. I reckon I still have 90% of jigheads I bought on ebay unused and likely never to get used because I find they are not quite suitable. The hooks on them are weak and bend easily. You mentioned rust, that's because they were probably designed for freshwater use on bass (US bought ones). If you're after the smaller heads and don't want to fork out big $$ to buy them, you can buy some split shot sinkers and a pack of jig hooks (Mustad Aberdeen ones) and crimp the split shot on the hooks yourself. I've done that for more than 10 years now and still catch fish on them. Only limitation to that is 1/4oz split shots are hard to find if you're after heavier jigheads. Anything lighter than that there's heaps of them in the market.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Big Bream

I bought some off ebay. They were rubbish.

The mojiko ones on sale at Ana_ond_ were ok, seemed identicle to more pricey ones. Around 50c each still for bream sized 1, 90c each for 5/0s. Ive been using them and they are good. Dont seem to rust quick, caught loads on em.

Just gotta wait for the sale. Wouldnt buy them full price. TTs and Gamas would be much the same price.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Big Bream

haha man i look on ebay so much for TTs
Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 AM
Mature Bream

I bought some many years ago and after a 23cm bream crushed one I haven't used them since, they were really fine gauge and far too soft and after one use they rust. I would only buy name brand jigs for sure
Old 10-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Big Bream

if your using light lines (<4lb) and light drag settings you wont have a problem, ive used them off the beach for tailor with 10lb braid and locked drag and they tend to get there bend on
Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Mature Bream

Why not support aussie lure makers and buy TT lures, first of all they are australian owned, second of all they are one of the best if not the best jigheads on the market. They dont rust easily, they dont bend easily and they really aren't that expensive seeing you can use them again and again unless you get snagged on hard objects and ruin the tip point. But not very often does the tip weaken on fish.

They have every size you could imagine.
Old 13-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
Why not support aussie lure makers and buy TT lures, first of all they are australian owned, second of all they are one of the best if not the best jigheads on the market. They dont rust easily, they dont bend easily and they really aren't that expensive seeing you can use them again and again unless you get snagged on hard objects and ruin the tip point. But not very often does the tip weaken on fish.

They have every size you could imagine.
Yeah can't get enough of the TTs should rob a supply truck one day lol
Old 09-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Fingerling

Smile well said matt

tt I have found work a treat with zman
Old 10-05-2014, 01:51 AM
Mature Bream

Losing quality fish due to cheap jigheads - what are your thoughts?
Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Mature Bream

If you buy ones with Mustad / Gamakatsu hooks you should be okay. Hard to tell if the hooks are legit though, well it would be to me anyway.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Blue Lip

i buy some 1/8th and 1/16th jig heads off a guy in qld who makes them and sells on Eee bayyy , They are GREAT , #2 Gamakatsu hook is what i get and i have caught bream and even snapper on them , never had a problem with them , and 100 jig heads for around $50 why wouldnt you ?
I still use TT and Impact tackle jigheads but there will always buy and use the ones ive mentioned above

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods
Old 10-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarner447 View Post
i buy some 1/8th and 1/16th jig heads off a guy in qld who makes them and sells on Eee bayyy , They are GREAT , #2 Gamakatsu hook is what i get and i have caught bream and even snapper on them , never had a problem with them , and 100 jig heads for around $50 why wouldnt you ?
I still use TT and Impact tackle jigheads but there will always buy and use the ones ive mentioned above
Gama hooked jigs for under 50c each? wow! Are they as sharp as the stock gama jigs?

I find the TT variants of the gamas nowhere near as sharp as the stock gama ones unfortunately.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
Gama hooked jigs for under 50c each? wow! Are they as sharp as the stock gama jigs?

I find the TT variants of the gamas nowhere near as sharp as the stock gama ones unfortunately.
they are very sharp mate , ive been using them for a while now

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods
Old 10-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Blue Lip

I bought some darter jig heads of an SA 'bay seller and they've been fine too. If anything a little heavier gauge than I'd like (I like the original squidgy round heads #4 and less often #2)

I don't subscribe to the pay the most you can afford model - especially for terminal tackle. I don't fish for sheep stations and I want bang for buck and fit for purpose.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: