Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > BreamMaster Job Search

BreamMaster Job Search Share Your Skills Here and Let Members Know What You Have to Offer (Moderated Forum)

Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Mature Bream

Exclamation Need help i want a career in the fishing industry!!

Ive always wanted to work in the fishing industry wether its in DohDohDoh or a small tackle store. or even with the fisheries but i wanna do it more up north. my dream would be to work on a barra charter near darwin or something. I literally just have no idea how to do it. im only 16years old and ive fished all my life with baits but mostly lures. i love chasing estuarine species up the flatts and i occasionally go for some bigger model fish in the holes and gutters of the creeks. i would really love some advice. cheers
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Qld View Post
Ive always wanted to work in the fishing industry wether its in DohDohDoh or a small tackle store. or even with the fisheries but i wanna do it more up north. my dream would be to work on a barra charter near darwin or something. I literally just have no idea how to do it. im only 16years old and ive fished all my life with baits but mostly lures. i love chasing estuarine species up the flatts and i occasionally go for some bigger model fish in the holes and gutters of the creeks. i would really love some advice. cheers
If you want to guide you will need to get your Coxwains ticket
A simple google search will provide you with details on that.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Mature Bream

Thanks mate the price is a bit iffy but I should manage it
Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Blue Lip

Coxswain is a tough course but it's very important if you want to get into in maritime industry! Just go onto fishing charter websites and ask them the process about how to become a guide or a deckie! Sometimes you will pleasantly surprised by the response you get.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Blue Lip

Alternatively you can do a uni degree in fisheries management which is what I've done or you could do the Tafe course in seafood and fisheries compliance. Fisheries is a very very tough field to crack into but the benefits are there if you work hard.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Mature Bream

Smile

Okay thanks mate. I am defiantly willing to put in the hard yards for this I'm gonna finish school first and do this after when I'm 18. That way I'm qualified by 20 (if i pass lol)
Old 08-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Blue Lip

That's the way mate. You are better off having your year 12 behind you just in case you choose to go to uni! In the mean time though, on school Holidays you should ask your local charter boats if you can do a day here and there On deck just to see if you really enjoy it!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Big Bream

Why don't you finish school, join the NT police, get into their Water Police get paid very good money and get all your qualifications for free. Then if you don't like it you can get out and pursue other interests but have all the relevant qualifications. Fisheries and other government departments also love ex police to fill their investigator roles.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Mature Bream

Want to know how to make a small fortune in the fishing industry?
Start off with a big one!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Blue Lip

You need to import something that everybody doesn't know they need. Like harry Watson did with jackall. Only prob Is most people buy overseas now
Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Mature Bream

The guiding industry is really tough. Up and down with seasons. Early starts and late finishes. I had a mate by a boat for northern Sydney about 4 months back and is finding it hard. And unless you have the name you won't make much $$$. I thought that's I wanted to do that but there's more money in building so I can retire earlier and fish every day. Good Luck
Old 24-08-2012, 04:43 AM
Big Bream

Mate if it is your passion then with a LOT of hard work you can get into it. Unfortunately the pay is never going to be any good and you will basically just be earning a living. I have been a pro fisherman ever since I finished year 12. Commercial fishing, guiding, driving boats etc. Its all hard yakka. The only problem with wanting to be a guide or a deckie on a charter boat is that you get to watch other people fish and get to do very little fishing yourself. If the charter boat you work for is busy then you only get days off when the weather is pretty ordinary. If you want a good steady job then take Hatch's advice and study through uni or tafe and get some sort of degree in fisheries. If you keep banging on the door especially up north with the right qualification you will eventually land a good job. The benefits far outweigh what you will get working as a charter skipper or deckie and you will get paid holidays etc. Thats just my two cents worth bud as I aint ever done anything else - you will also need reeeaallly god people skills cos when you work on a charter boat you will meet some VERY interesting people!! LOL

Good luck with it.

Old 24-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Mature Bream

Thanks soo much mate. I'm going to enroll next year in a deckhand licence and when I finish school I'm going for my coxwains. Cheers for the info greatly appreciated
Old 24-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Curve View Post
Why don't you finish school, join the NT police, get into their Water Police get paid very good money and get all your qualifications for free. Then if you don't like it you can get out and pursue other interests but have all the relevant qualifications. Fisheries and other government departments also love ex police to fill their investigator roles.
Entrepreneurial. I like it. Haha