Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > NSW Scene

Old 30-12-2002, 06:59 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

Question Conflicting Tactics - Boater versus Non-Boater??

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the situation where the boater and non-boater were fishing different methods out of the same boat ie. plastics versus hardbodies and wether there was any conflict.

I've only had all anglers fishing the same style in my boat while chasing Bream (breaking in plastic virgins is great fun ), but impoundment fishing for Bass I like to fish plastics some times and if someone else is using Spinnerbaits they seem to want to cover the water a lot quicker (Spinnerbaits are great for this).

Has anyone had the situation occur in the BREAM comps or in normal fishing?

I'd hate for my future non-boaters to get impatient if they wanted to fish hardbodies, while I'm methodically working plastics away.

Thoughts please

Cheers,

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 30-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Mature Bream

Re: Conflicting Tactics - Boater versus Non-Boater??

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave W
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the situation where the boater and non-boater were fishing different methods out of the same boat ie. plastics versus hardbodies and wether there was any conflict.
Hi Dave

Without trying to sound smartarse, cause I have no idea, but as someone who was contemplating entering the next BREAM comp as a non-boater I assumed that what the owner of the boat said went. Not that they could dictate your style of fishing, of course, but I'd feel very uncomfortable trying to get them to change their style too.

Sometimes it can be a long swim back to shore.

Kevin
Old 30-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Web Master

As a "boater" I must say I am quite conscious of my non boater when competing. I don't fish "nose in", but rather align the boat side on to the bank or snag to allow both of us to fish without hinderance. I also tend to cast forward of the boat when coming up to snags. I heard stories from a couple of the guys who have cometed in the east, and had they're boater fishing nose in all day. I personally think this only leads to problems if your non boater has to constantly fish around you.

Whilst I do agree on getting first cast, this isn't at the expense of my non boater. If I get snagged up, or am busy moving the boat, I encourage my NB to fire away. The only thing I won't tolerate is a non-boater who casts over me trying to get at a snag. This comes down to basic etiquette. There must be some advantages to incurring the costs of running, and transporting the boat to the competition.

As a rule of thumb, the following would be a good principle to follow:

1. If he is able to cast, let your boater get first shot at a snag.
2. Ask him/her to let you know when you can cast if you want to have an early cast at the same snag.
3. If fishing side on like I do, divide the boat in two sections. This way the boater will be conscious of not casting backwards over you too.
4. If you're going to have a cast in the same area as your boater, wait until his lure is at least half way back to the boat.
5. Don't be too impatient in your casting. If you throw constantly over your boaters line he'll throw you overboard, or cut your line, or both...

Hope this helps the newbies.

Warren

Old 30-12-2002, 10:04 PM
Mature Bream

i fished the albany round as a non-boater and on the day fished with the boater on saturday who had the electric on the back and lined up the boat so we both got a good cast at every snag possible.
on the sunday the boater had a hire boat no electric no false floor and i was up front all day tring to stand on the angled bottom . it is amazing how you learn to cast backhanded and underhanded ,he asked me where and when i would liketry,not dictate where we went. as agood boater should do .in the rules of ABT sportsmanship of fellow anglers is the utmost importance.
Old 31-12-2002, 02:08 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bream Master
As a "boater" I must say I am quite conscious of my non boater when competing. I don't fish "nose in", but rather align the boat side on to the bank or snag to allow both of us to fish without hinderance. I also tend to cast forward of the boat when coming up to snags. I heard stories from a couple of the guys who have cometed in the east, and had they're boater fishing nose in all day. I personally think this only leads to problems if your non boater has to constantly fish around you.

Whilst I do agree on getting first cast, this isn't at the expense of my non boater. If I get snagged up, or am busy moving the boat, I encourage my NB to fire away. The only thing I won't tolerate is a non-boater who casts over me trying to get at a snag. This comes down to basic etiquette. There must be some advantages to incurring the costs of running, and transporting the boat to the competition.

As a rule of thumb, the following would be a good principle to follow:

1. If he is able to cast, let your boater get first shot at a snag.
2. Ask him/her to let you know when you can cast if you want to have an early cast at the same snag.
3. If fishing side on like I do, divide the boat in two sections. This way the boater will be conscious of not casting backwards over you too.
4. If you're going to have a cast in the same area as your boater, wait until his lure is at least half way back to the boat.
5. Don't be too impatient in your casting. If you throw constantly over your boaters line he'll throw you overboard, or cut your line, or both...

Hope this helps the newbies.

Warren
When I'm 'breaking in' plastic converts, I generally give them a couple of chances to get the ettiquette right - if they don't, I don't take them out again.

My pet hate is someone casting across a snag in front of me, effectively stopping me having a cast at all

I too try and position the boat so all anglers get a bit of action. I've got a couple of great spots sussed that you can essentially fish 360 degrees around the boat and have a chance of a fish - great for when I'm 3 up in the boat.

I don't think the boater can dictate what style of fishing the non-boater uses, but if the boater needs to manuvure the boat to suit his style, at the detriment of the non-boater, I don't think it should be held against him (he does fork out a higer entry fee, boat costs etc.) - having said that I would try to make every effort for my non-boater to enjoy himself, that's what it's all about at the end of the day isn't it?

Cheers,

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 31-12-2002, 08:52 AM
Big Bream

as a non boater and never having fished for bream from a boat, im not really qualified to answer.....but my opinion is that the boater has "right of way" in regards to the better snags, where to fish etc. after the vic comp i'll let you know if ive changed my opinion!!

any boaters been beaten by their non boaters, and if so how did you feel about it?? the last thing i wanna do is piss my boater off
Old 31-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Blue Lip

Pete, the first BREAM event in WA this season was WON by a non-boater. Betcha that doesnt happen very often
Old 31-12-2002, 03:26 PM
Big Bream

When I take people fishing the rules are simple I'm the boat owner & I fish how I like be it hard or soft bodies & moving around quickly or slowly. I have never had any dramas & I explain the rules in my boat to people before they get on board. Having said that I get side on to snags etc & give them a fair go & all I expect is first cast. I would have to say to be at odds or arguing with your non boater would be a lousy way to spend the day it is a sport after all.
Old 31-12-2002, 08:12 PM
Poddy Bream

G'day folks,
When I take someone out in my boat I dont have any problems at all. I position the boat side on to the structure we will be fishing and I am not worried either way who gets first shot at a snag. I will let the nonboater usually take first cast at a snag and if the drift is good we can get in some 10 or more casts each before i have to tend to positioning the boat again. I have found that the first cast is not neccesarily that important as we have all pulled good fish on later casts at a snag.
One thing i do try to do tho is be fair to the nonboater if he wants to do a slower retrieve or technique and let him have his time.
As for different styles of fishing, it does nto bother me one bit as i am more than happy to have a softie or fly running at the other end of the boat.
Most ppl who get to fish together as boater and non boater usually have a rythym worked out subconsciously within the first snag or two anyways.
Relax and dont worry about who is fishing how, just position your boat for the best and enjoy the day.
Winning a comp is not everything, but enjoying the company of a nonboater during the days fishing is priceless.

Tony.
Old 31-12-2002, 10:51 PM
Web Master

I had a couple of guys come up to me after the Albany round and ask about non boaters casting over them. Bottom line is that it's rude and pretty ignorant if they know about it.

That being said, neither of these guys said anything to their non-boater about not casting over, etiquette etc.

If they don't know about it, explain how it works politely. If they don't like it, then here's some suggestions on how to make things understood in a calm and polite manner:

1. How cold do you think that water is ???
2. How sharp do you think this knife is ???
3. Would you like your tongue pierced with a C/S treble ???
4. If I ran my knife over your spool, would that be bad ???
5. Do you know why your called a non-boater ???

This should make things understood fairly quickly.

Warren.

Old 01-01-2003, 02:21 AM
Mature Bream

if the boater gets the prime posy in his or her boat ,up the front with the kota. then every time when it comes to move i hope theboater doesnt expect the non boater to start the motor for them and mosy up to the next spot.

Old 01-01-2003, 03:48 AM
Big Bream

No one drives my Hornet except me
Old 10-02-2003, 07:41 AM
The Angry Administrator

For me as a non-boater - you have to be thankful for the boater being in the tournaments as with out them we couldn`t fish. I try and do whatever I can to help my boater - whether it be driving from spot to spot, tying knots if hes hacked his hand up (geoffp), lending them a lure that is working, ask where they are gonna cast, and always give them first cast, unless they tell you to put one in there....... just simple ettiqette (sp) I suppose... And you can learn heaps that will help you in your endevours when you become a boater.

cheers

richo
Old 17-03-2003, 11:19 PM
Fingerling

Boater v's Non boater.

Hey guys
Old 18-03-2003, 01:28 AM
EnviroJigs

WEll as a new entry to the BREAM tournies in Perth I was very concious of what I was doing in terms of a non Boater.
I went out with Darren first up and we got along famously by being very courteous to each other and always watching where we each cast. If we hooked up on a tree or snag I would always do my best to get the lure wether it was his or mine.
If you can build up a god report with each other I have found that you then dont need to know who casts first or where because you have the "look"
ie
Hmm looks like a good snag you cast first.. wether that be you or the other person.
On Sunday I was out with Ian and basically fished where I could because he had a good chance of winning the round. if he pointed his boat nose first I would cast behind the boat. I think this comes down to respecting the boater.
I feel, as a non boater that there is no need be first in to a snag or what ever because you are there to fish and enjoy it. Even if the boater says get a cast in now I will always make sure.

In terms fishing the same as the boater I think that is a judgement call. If one or the other has the ability to win a comp there should be no problem support that person wether it is the boater or the non boater. After all you really need to work together.

Again I spose it all comes down to communication. Make each other feel at ease and it all goes smoothly.

Oh and if your a Non boater... Offer petrol money. I ALWAYS do.. If they dont accept at least they know you appriciate the efforts they have put in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: