Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-05-2009, 07:37 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

If you are punching out casts as far as you can - the profile of the knot can be an important factor after 25 casts.

I have found that the way "Uni's" slap through the guides make them weaker with each cast when compared to the slimmer profile knots like the "plain albright" and the "twisted albright"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p x m0newer.jpg (24.2 KB, 487 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 22-05-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 22-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Fishyman

for those that have the new modern fishing check out the article on the mid-knot

so far ive sucessfully tied the knot 90% of the time in 3lb microfuse with various leaders from 6-16lb

its a great knot when using heavy leaders for racks fishing with the tiny (size4.5) guides some of the jap rods come with and that i put on my own customs. because the leader doesnt get doubled over at all i can run and cast 16lb leaders without any drama

downside is its a bit fiddly to tie, but upside is its bloody strong. i was breaking 3lb microfuse before the 6lb leader broke and as you all know microfuse is rated well under its test breaking strain. 3lb fuse is more like 6-7lb IMO

also use it for heavy spinning for threadfin salmon and jew with 20lb braid and 40 and 60lb leader. works a treat there aswell
Old 22-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Big Bream

Fishyman,
how much have you used the midknot on the water? I've used a midknot variation (sebile knot) for barra fishing. Held up fine on big meter plus barra but failed once or twice on the cast, most likely from casting wear and tear. Also I can't tie it on small diameter bream weight lines.
Old 22-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Fishyman

only used it once or twice on the water so far but still no dramas

i love it,

trick with the thinner lines is to do more wraps so the whole knot is much longer
Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Poddy Bream

albright ??

Everyone who uses the albright, do you not find that the tag of the leader catches on the rod eyes and reduces casting distance?? Have tried and tied but can only occasionally tie one which allows me to cut tag short enough not to catch
Old 02-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Big Bream

I find the double uni is quick and last a long time, if no wind when changing over I use the Mid knot, runs thru real smooth! (have used this for years fly fishing). At the Cranny tackle / Squidgie night last week, Bushy suggested the Slim Beauty.
I find the albright struggles after a few casts & breaks on the guides.
Best thing to do is practice them off the water, makes it easier when on the water!

http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/kn...doubleuni.html
http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/kn...auty_knot.html
http://fishwrecked.com/image/mid-knot
Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Blue Lip

Larry,

Do you always cut your tags so close on your knots? I usually leave about a 1.5mm tag as a little bit of security if you know what I mean. yes it does mean it gets a little bit more of a tickle as it passes through the guides but i feel less nervous with a fish on.

I usually check my knots and leader after each fish or more likely after 25 or so fishless casts and see it everything is ok, if not I re-tie.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Mature Bream

Question Albright for me too

I started of using the uni to uni but now find it easier to use the albright. I think I was shown the improved albright. I have a few twists on the way up and then double back over them.

I use a bimini double and then an albright to the leader, when using heavier lines.

What I would like to know is does anyone double the braid up for there knots? When I first started using braid I was taught to double it to prevent it slipping, especially attaching swivells to braid when using surf rigs etc.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar-elbers View Post
I started of using the uni to uni but now find it easier to use the albright. I think I was shown the improved albright. I have a few twists on the way up and then double back over them.

I use a bimini double and then an albright to the leader, when using heavier lines.

What I would like to know is does anyone double the braid up for there knots? When I first started using braid I was taught to double it to prevent it slipping, especially attaching swivells to braid when using surf rigs etc.
Bimini double all the time with 8 lb and under. Also when using heavier leader, as the discrepancy in thickness either side of the knot can be an issue sometimes with knot impact shock.

With the thin stuff the sinlge braid can cut through leader under pressure when seating the knot. I use a slim beauty pretty much excusively, and an earlier version (from which the slim was derived) when making my 2 stage leaders for RLF.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Blue Lip

I still use the good old simple uni to uni, 11 wraps of braid and 7 wraps of leader.. I have thought of learning more complex stronger joining knots but this knot has never ever failed on a fish. It did break once on a cast, after a ridiculous amount of casts at choppers.. my little brother was with me and I had actually just finished explaining how important it was to check your leader and knots.. I cast, ping! lure gone ..
Old 03-09-2009, 04:37 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar-elbers View Post
I double it up when tying the albright in 6lb seems to hold better
Old 03-09-2009, 06:20 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamingwithjoy View Post
Larry,

Do you always cut your tags so close on your knots? I usually leave about a 1.5mm tag as a little bit of security if you know what I mean. yes it does mean it gets a little bit more of a tickle as it passes through the guides but i feel less nervous with a fish on.

I usually check my knots and leader after each fish or more likely after 25 or so fishless casts and see it everything is ok, if not I re-tie.

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat
Knots snapping is only ever a problem with me when I'm "punching out casts as far as I can"

At the time I took that photo - I was fishing a lake where accuracy meant nothing and distance was everything My casting style was a hybrid of a pendulum cast and a baseball swing

When I'm breaming there is nowhere near the amount of stress on my knots. Never busted one on a fish - busted plenty on snags though
Old 08-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Mature Bream

When using my light rig (2lb braid, Stella 1000) I use a 55 turn bimini twist to an albright. It never fails even on tuna, gts, mackeral. queenies , Barra. It is amazing what stopping power you have when used properly. Casts a mile on th innovator. Success is when you are prepared when luck comes along. Why drop the fish of a life time because you haven't got your knots right.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Mature Bream

one i found on another site.
though they were talking about heavier line,i can't see why
it would'nt work with lighter lines.
-tie a three loop uni knot in leader.
-tie a full blood knot in braid.
-lube & pull together & tighten.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by terbo View Post
one i found on another site.
though they were talking about heavier line,i can't see why
it would'nt work with lighter lines.
-tie a three loop uni knot in leader.
-tie a full blood knot in braid.
-lube & pull together & tighten.
Would love a link mate if you can find one......

PB, Big SA Coorong Black, 47cm fork, 3" Shrimp
----------
For the record I'm not kiwi, I just like taking the puss out of them....
...Smashing black