Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Cameras and Accessories

Cameras and Accessories What Camera to Buy be it Big or Small and What to Get With it.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Blue Lip

Thanks Alex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bath tub View Post
I've been using a Go Pro HD for a little while now and think they are great. I purchased mine from www.thatsverynice.com.au and would NOT recommend it. It took ages for it to arrive and with pretty poor service. There are/were some on ebay for around $370 delivered but I'm not sure where they are coming from.

I've recently captured some video using both a go pro and handheld camera and have posted it in a blog, have a look at the second fish we caught. I've cut between the handheld and go pro (mounted on top of my motor).

You can find it at www.lureandfly.com.

The obvious pros are a waterproof, HD camera with a wide angle lens and hands free recording but the cons are virtually no sound when fishing (waterproof case), have to clean the salt off the lens regularly and it is in a fixed position (hence the need for 2 cameras).

I hope this helps,
Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Funnily enough, thatsvernice was probably the cheapest seller on ebay that I found today. Location says Gippsland, but they could be getting them sent from OS.

Will have a look tonight when I get home.

Few questions... which 'package' did you go for? Leaning towards the Motorsport Hero, but was wondering whether the mount is sturdy enough to sit on the top of my cowling. Also, any tips on other handy mounts that you have found, or handy accessories?

And finally, which memory card are you running?

Pretty sure I spotted a GoPro on the Stratos at the GF @ Metung?

Cheers,
Paul

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 30-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Thanks Alex!

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Funnily enough, thatsvernice was probably the cheapest seller on ebay that I found today. Location says Gippsland, but they could be getting them sent from OS.

Will have a look tonight when I get home.

Few questions... which 'package' did you go for? Leaning towards the Motorsport Hero, but was wondering whether the mount is sturdy enough to sit on the top of my cowling. Also, any tips on other handy mounts that you have found, or handy accessories?

And finally, which memory card are you running?

Pretty sure I spotted a GoPro on the Stratos at the GF @ Metung?

Cheers,
Paul
Yeah, we were meant to be running 2 go pros for both GFs but didn't receive the second go pro until the day I got back home. They did ship from overseas as I was required to chase up all of the shipping. They shipped out of the US with a quoted 3 day lead time but it was closer to 3 weeks by the time it arrived.

I got the motorsport hero with a 16gb SDHC card (make sure it is the SDHC). If you can, get extra batteries as there is only about 2.5 hours of recording time on each full charge.

I mount mine using the suction cup to the front of the cowling and cable tie for peace of mind. The mounting system in the motorsport package is pretty comprehensive with the suction cup option as well as some hard mounted options too. I've tried mounting it to the front of my console but with a much more restricted point of view.

Chris
Old 30-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Also, any tips on other handy mounts that you have found, or handy accessories?

Cheers,
Paul
I thought you would be looking for a Fosters Hat mount
Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Poddy Bream

The GoPro HD Hero cameras are probably one of the best little true HD video cameras we have come across for outdoor sports filming in a long time.
We have used them extensively for promotional video and advertising recently and so far they have put up with every bit of punishment we can throw at them.

My advice is not to rush in and purchase a kit, think about what your requirements are and maybe just purchase the The GoPro HD Hero Naked and the few accessories you need. We started off with the GoPro HD Hero Helmet kit but found we didn't use many of the attachments that came with it in stead we use the pole mounts and have it attached on the end of a aluminium pole allowing us to record from some cool angles and poke it almost anywhere we want. We also use the suction cup mount but no where near as often as the pole. I definitely recommend the extra battery until the battery backpacks are released hopefully in the new year and at the same time the live view LCD screens should be available as well.....and get the biggest memory card you can.

The underwater footage is not as good as it could be, its good but limited by the bubble shaped lens cover, there is a customised fix for this by adding a flat piece of polycarbonate on the front of the housing, its a little involved and I can post a link to instructions on how to do it if anyone is interested.

The quality of the footage is second to none, true 1080p HD and comparable to high def. cameras worth thousands of dollars more, we do a lot of our filming in 720p as it records at 60fps and allows seamless slow motion effects and as we are hosting on video hosting sites and use the footage for web marketing true 1080p HD is wasted during the compression process.

For quality editing it is best to use a semi professional editing suite, we use Son Vegas Pro9, the old Windows Movie maker just doesn't cut the mustard if you want something that impresses your mates.

We currently stock the GoPro HD Hero Helmet and the GoPro HD Hero Naked, they are available in our online store.....click here GoPro HD Hero
We will have accessories available online shortly as well so keep your eye out.

Just one quick note to those purchasers either buying GoPro from the US or thinking about it, the Australian distributors recently released a statement to all the dealers stating that all GoPro cameras are serialised and unless purchased through the AUS dealer network any warranty will be null and void and not covered in Australia.....just something to consider.

Heres some fun stuff we have done with the GoPo.....just mounted on a stick, enjoy....Feel The Vibe

Old 21-02-2011, 03:48 AM
Big Bream

ok im gonna bump this.
how are people going with their gopro's? i wanna get one. does the camera feel heaps awkward on the head strap? is the head strap alone secure enough?
Old 21-02-2011, 04:07 AM
Mature Bream

just editing some videos now
keep an eye out over the next couple of weeks.
Old 21-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Big Bream

will do mate
Old 21-02-2011, 06:18 AM
Mature Bream

Go pro

I bought the motor sports package from goprocameraaustralia.com.au

Only takes three days to arrive in an express post bag.

Bought a second battery so It can run over a five hour fishing session.

The motor spots package has all the mounts and more you might need for your boat.

You have to buy a memory card separately (costs around $80). You need a good one. I got a fast speed one that stores 16GB. It gets full over five hours, worth stopping and starting because of this.

Only down side it does not have a view finder. But the cost and all the mounts make up for this.

Also takes great photos.

Dave
Old 21-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Blue Lip

gotta get me one of these...

Thanks for sharing......
Old 21-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Big Bream

Here is a link to a modified housing that fixes the softness that occurs when using the Gopro underwater..

http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/underwater/index.html

Results speak for themselves.

Phil
Old 21-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Blue Lip

Im actually eyeing off a drift 170HD stealth... Love the fish eye view.
Old 21-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Blue Lip

Brad the GoPro has a 170 degree view in 720p anyway and while it is an ugly sun of a !@#$% the other cameras just don't touch it. Not to mention the GoPro is waterproof to 60m. The drift is water resistant what ever that means!!!!

My new favorite is the Vio POV.HD. Expensive camera at around $700 but it is the next step up. Not quite as waterproof either.
Old 21-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Mature Bream

Hey man
I use Sunny cams by novoprime
There polarised sunnies that have a camera in the middle
they can record for about 5 hours straight
heres a link if you wanna havva look.(sorry its a facebook sit but they dont have a website)http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...e/339279706368
i bought them from my local tackle shop for 300 bucks
P.B Flatty 82cm's on River2Sea Tugnsten Vibe
P.B Tarpon 54cm's on River2Sea tugnsten Vibe

Setup: Stradic 1000 and a Team Diawa DRedBack
Old 25-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Blue Lip

got one...

Naked Hero with the head strap mount....

nice bit of kit...
Old 07-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Blue Lip

I just ordered the HD170 stealth. Cant wait to mount it up on the boat to watch me get smoked by stupidly big coral trout in skinny water.