Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Hulls

Hulls Come in here to find info on that next boat you buy…

Old 25-06-2016, 06:08 AM
Fingerling

What would you do?

Ok, so here's the situation. The old 375 Stessl Edgetracker has been a great servant but after close to 20 years I reckon I'm due for an upgrade. I fish 90% of the time on my own so am thinking about something around the 4-4.2m range....something that I can handle easy enough on my own...I know it's only an extra 25cm but the 4m looks a heap bigger than what I've got at the moment. Also looking to get a side console...is this stupid in a 4m boat?

The main style of fishing I do is 95% lure casting in rivers/estuaries for bream and Jew. Will also start doing a bit of impoundment stuff for bass and hopefully cod. Am based in the Hawkesbury area so would like to get out to Pittwater/Broken Bay to chase the odd kingy where areas are a bit exposed but would only do this on a good day....I'm not one to throw caution to the wind.

Of my research and googling, in my head I'm leaning for a Bluefin Drifter Tournament or a Anglapro Outlaw. Was at the Melbourne boat show last week (was nearby for work....convenient!) and had a chat to the Anglapro and Bluefin guys and also saw a Clarke Cod Catcher which didn't look the worst but don't know a lot about them. Of these models, anyone with feedback? Positive or negative?

I'm thinking of spending up to around the 20k mark (max hopefully) and reckon I should make the change over to a 4 stroke as I always feel a bit guilty with the smoke and stuff the 2 stroke puts out. Doesn't have to include electrics as I am pretty well sorted (new sounder and can upgrade my old electric down the line) and from time to time have thought about about doing tournaments so a kill tank would be handy which can be transformed into a livewell if/when the time comes.

This is where I'm at and what I'm thinking but understand there are many options...tiller or console, plate or pressed, alloy or poly etc. Everyone would have different thoughts if they were in my situation which begs the question.....what would you do?

Cheers,

Rowboat
Old 25-06-2016, 11:15 AM
Poddy Bream

a boat in the 4.2 size i went tiller as i wanted the room as it doubles as

my off shore boat as well , i got the bluefin and couldn't be happier and

it has a 40HP HONDA and wow this thing flys for a small boat 54.5kph and

banging on the limiter (needs a bigger prop) and all i can say is it a

pleasure to flick lures out of as it's very stable for a v hull , 3mm bottom

and 2.5mm sides and 8 ribs up each side this thing is built like a tank .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2795 (Medium).JPG (107.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2710 (Medium).JPG (76.1 KB, 451 views)
Old 26-06-2016, 12:05 AM
Mature Bream

Second the Bluefin , tough and stable.
Old 26-06-2016, 02:50 AM
Mature Bream

I toyed with the idea of side console but in the end went for tiller. Not only did i save a fair amount of money but i reckon ive got more room to move than my mates closed transom 460 Renegade.
I ended up going for a 4.28 Seajay Avenger 40hp Suzuki 4 stroke. Very stable with over 2 metres beam . Comes standard with bow mount plate . Under floor fuel tank. 6 different seating positions. Front and rear storage as well as big side pockets and a gravity fed live well in the rear cast deck which probably wouldnt suit comps but is great for squid or keeping upgrades .

It handles a bit of slop quite well although not as soft a ride as the Quiny millennium hull.
I love it.Great crossover boat .

Shimano Sustain FG 1000 on 13 ENVY Black 6.10
Shimano Stradic Ci4 1000 on 13 OMEN Black 6.10
Shimano Stradic FJ 1000 on Rapala X Rap Xtreme 6.0
Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 on Rapala X Rap Xtreme 6.10

Last edited by Nimbin157; 26-06-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 26-06-2016, 03:01 AM
Mature Bream

A couple of pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160626_143354.jpg (241.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20160626_143413.jpg (249.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20160626_143439.jpg (235.5 KB, 6 views)

Shimano Sustain FG 1000 on 13 ENVY Black 6.10
Shimano Stradic Ci4 1000 on 13 OMEN Black 6.10
Shimano Stradic FJ 1000 on Rapala X Rap Xtreme 6.0
Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 on Rapala X Rap Xtreme 6.10
Old 26-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Mature Bream

I have a bluefin scoundrel 4.2. It's the old model with a 1.85m beam. I have had it for 7 year and put in a rear cast deck, under floor fuel and rod locker. It's a great boat, the only problem is the thin sides, I wish I got the 3mm sides. I use to live on Pittwater and the southerly can be horrible. I would look a V bottom rather than a V nose punt as they are still really stable and offer a bit better ride than the drifter style. You should be able to do a test drive in one at most dealers. Hope this helps.
Old 26-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Big Bream

i think your first priority is to narrow it down to size and hull material.

i am biased when it comes to poly hulls, and own a smartwave 4200 they are soft riding, quiet and almost zero maintenance.
downside is next to no storage, no casting decks etc, im custom building these things into mine atm.
the 4.2 is almost as big as id go if launching alone, i am quite a tiny framed person and i reckon id manage it alone with some difficulty.

for the motor side of things i was also in the feeling guilty band wagon and was looking at the direct injection two strokes, these burn very efficiently and produce similar amounts of emmissions as to a 4 stroke but come in just that bit cheaper, but eventually for me money ended up having the final say and went with a tohatsu 2 stroke 50.

also dont forget storage space for the bigger boat/trailer, and a vehicle that will be able to handle the extra towing weight.
Old 29-06-2016, 04:01 AM
Fingerling

Thanks for those who have replied for their info...much appreciated

Tackleberry, sure looks pretty stable for a v shaped hull. All my experiences have been with my v nose punt so didn't know if I would sacrifice a heap of stability if I went for a full v hull. By the looks of that and by the reports from Nimbin and Rattler, it sounds like they are not too bad so perhaps a full v hull might be an option....it wasn't really before to be honest, especially as I don't plan to do a stack of open water stuff....just if the conditions allowed.

Do you guys find that a boat that size can be tough to handle going solo like Purple suggested it may be? I'm not the biggest bloke either....

Might be best to see if I can test drive like you said Rattler.

Again, thanks for the info and if anyone wants to add their 2 cents, I'm all ears.
Old 29-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowboat View Post
Thanks for those who have replied for their info...much appreciated

Tackleberry, sure looks pretty stable for a v shaped hull. All my experiences have been with my v nose punt so didn't know if I would sacrifice a heap of stability if I went for a full v hull. By the looks of that and by the reports from Nimbin and Rattler, it sounds like they are not too bad so perhaps a full v hull might be an option....it wasn't really before to be honest, especially as I don't plan to do a stack of open water stuff....just if the conditions allowed.

Do you guys find that a boat that size can be tough to handle going solo like Purple suggested it may be? I'm not the biggest bloke either....

Might be best to see if I can test drive like you said Rattler.

Again, thanks for the info and if anyone wants to add their 2 cents, I'm all ears.
i am on my own when i go fishing 99% of the time and as far as i see it the bigger the boat the easier to handle at the ramp , i used to work at a boat storage yard 27 years ago and loved putting the 25' bertram's in the water .

now for this little fella i have just finished the prototype of what i call a bow catcher for launch and retrieval and it makes it sooooo easy i just drive up
it clips on to the bow roller i switch the donk off and step out on the jetty and drive out easy as .
Old 29-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Mature Bream

Easy to put on by myself. Wind the winch out to just in front of the rear roller and then grab the boat. Position it in line then connect the rope and wind it on. If you get the trailer at the right hight to the water it should be a breeze. Hope this helps.
Old 30-06-2016, 03:03 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
If you get the trailer at the right hight to the water it should be a breeze. Hope this helps.
That is so true!
The amount of times i see people sink their trailer believing it will make things easier when in fact it makes it harder.
Unless you are driving on, keeping the last roller out of the water slightly will ensure the boat goes on straight.
As for ease of solo use between a 4.2 or larger ....... i have solo'd a 3.8m upto 5m no difference or difficulty in any of them. Unless you are doing a lot of man handling of the rig on its trailer at home or something, cant see how the extra size will adversly affect you.

Its a work in progress
Old 30-06-2016, 03:54 AM
Mature Bream

I went from 4.2 to 4.35 boat, no difference in difficulty of launching and retrieving.
Old 30-06-2016, 05:38 AM
Fingerling

I fish solo from my clark rebel 4.6. No dramas managing the boat. $22500 with a 60 four stroke merc. the model below it is under $20000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3758.JPG (371.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3756.JPG (417.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 30-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Big Bream

I have a 455 topender with a set of skids at each end of the trailer to keep the keel on track & a drive on/off latch. its a huge overkill, however a mate made the latch for me and the skids make it easy to align. Even without the skids & latch a 4.5m boat is still manageable for one person. It also gives you a lot more space internally.

The T/ender has a 60hp yammy to motor along.

Skid.jpg
Old 07-07-2016, 07:19 AM
Fingerling

Thanks to everyone for their input. One last query for now, is there a boat show that is better than the rest for comparing a heap of tinnies/trailerboats or are they all much the same. Don't mind travelling interstate but would be good to compare them against each other. The Melbourne boat show the other week had a few models but not a huge variety so don't know if that's as good as it gets.

Will keep you all in the loop with how I get on. Could be 6 months, could be 12 so have some time to mull it over but thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rowboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: