Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 04:25 AM
Big Bream

I tie it a similar way, not such a deep v though
Old 17-03-2016, 05:48 AM
Mature Bream

A local guide put me on to the FG. He told me it always broke at the lure or on a frayed part of the leader never the knot.I liked the sound of that! looked at all the videos and spent 2 nights practicing. I modified the chinese video. Rather than turning my hand over each turn, I twist the leader under then over the braid. Tried all the ways suggested. This works for me. If you count once around the left side and once around the right as 2. I do about 30 turns on 4 lb leader. But the key is to end up with tight turns.Pull away and down from the tag end of the leader to tighten them up. I now use it in all my leaders from finesse 4lb to beach fishing. Love how thin and smooth it is, and it's strength. The only time I tie a new leader now is when they get too short.
Old 17-03-2016, 07:44 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis446 View Post
I was using this video ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk
and found that when I do the wraps they don't wrap around the leader properly and end up forming on top of eachother. When I do the hithces at the end they dont tighten properly. Every 1/10 goes it would work and the coils formed properly. Does anyone know why this is happening and is this the best video for me to use?
Cheers
Happened to me at first as well - couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Watched the vid again closely and took note to pull the tag end of the leader straight (i.e. 90 degree from the main line) after each wrap. Also tighten it up and check after 4-6 wraps. Once I twiged its a very easy way to tie this knot.
To close I do 4 half hitches after trimming the tag end of the leader then a 3 turn locking hitch. (After reading some responses here I might try trimming the leader on an angle for a smoother finish) For HD casting like beach spinning I also like to secure the hitches with a tiny bit of super glue applied with a tooth pick.

Last edited by mbp; 17-03-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Mature Bream

I just took delivery of the Knot Assist 2.0, came on from Japan very quickly. Even though the instructions were not in english I watched a YouTube video and I must say it ties a fantastic FG knot. If you haven't tried one, get one.

Bream - yet to catch
Flathead - 69 cm
Whiting - yet to catch

PB Soft Plastics

Bream - 21cm
Flathead - yet to catch
Whiting - yet to catch

PB Fly Fishing

Bream - yet to catch
Flathead - yet to catch
Whiting - 32 cm

Samurai Reaction RE203-70 & 2500 Stradic Ci4

HCE TT669-3 & Sage 4650 + Rio Redfish WF6F
Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak35bne View Post
I just took delivery of the Knot Assist 2.0, came on from Japan very quickly. Even though the instructions were not in english I watched a YouTube video and I must say it ties a fantastic FG knot. If you haven't tried one, get one.
The instructions are good, but over time I got rid of the half hitch they put in the leader when finishing the wraps. Instead I go straight to half hitching the braid tag around the leader and main line. Its not so noticeable in light leaders but in heavier ones it eliminates an ugly bump.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: