Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 29-06-2016, 03:19 AM
Poddy Bream

Failing miserably

Hey all, New to this exciting life of bream fishing. Have fished a lot before, mostly bait fishing for a feed though out in the middle of the bays in VIC. However now I'v moved to Tassie and have decided to chase the bream, at the moment I am shore based, and probably will be for a few years.
After heading to the local tackle shops, iv picked up a few recommended soft plastics, camo gulp worms, grubs in pumpkin-seed and watermelon, and also some warmisham (local guys) crabs.
After a few trips to the browns river which is my closest spot, im still yet to hook up on anything except weed and other snags.
Any helpful advice out there?
P.S. I have never caught a bream before.
Old 29-06-2016, 03:37 AM
Big Bream

Browns has some honking bream in it. I used gulp shrimp on hidden weights there when I was on holiday. Target shade or any structure
Old 29-06-2016, 03:48 AM
Poddy Bream

I keep hearing that. but I'm yet to see any lol. Not even any juvies. Any ide which type of shrimp? Iv got a couple of 2" and 3" in my tacklebox, the 2" are in banana prawn colour and the 3" are natural colour. also have some crabbies, 2" and 3" in various colours, but im not sure about them, bought them a while back for snapper fishing in port phillip.
Old 29-06-2016, 04:11 AM
Big Bream

Throw the 2 inch ones on a 1/40th hws. I just made short casts to shaded water and waited for them to hit on the drop.
Old 29-06-2016, 04:14 AM
Poddy Bream

legend, ill give it a crack.
Old 29-06-2016, 04:34 AM
Mature Bream

If you're fishing from the bank and the weed is making it tough to fish plastics, i'd grab some hardbodies so you can fish them over the top of the weed. You're local tackle shop should give you some tips on what works there- get a mix of some fat cranks and minnows. I'm not sure how deep you're fishing, so you may need a mix of shallow and deep divers. You will get better results on lighter line- straight through fluorocarbon 3lb is a good start or light braid with a light fluorocarbon leader 4lb leader. I'm not sure what gear you have but rod and reel aren't too important when you're starting. A light graphite rod around 7ft, 1-3kg or 2-4kg and a 1000-2500 sized reel will do fine. Best of luck mate
Old 29-06-2016, 04:48 AM
Poddy Bream

Theres an absolute legend on these forums, who has graciously sent me a selection of his un-used hard bodies for bream fishing. so once they arrive ill be giving them a flick.
My setup is a cheap k-mart sport fisher outfit, 2-5kg 7' rod, with a 2000 reel spooled with 6lb braid and im currently using 6lb leader. I'v got a lighter, albeit shorter rod 6'6" on the way which im planning to swap it out for, the reel will be staying for a bit longer though.