Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > General Tournament Chat

Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Blue Lip

Tournament mindset... what drives you?

I have never been part of the tournament scene but have recently seriously considered doing one from the yak. Because of that, I've been trying to put in "practice" sessions in local rivers. What I've found is that if I go to say, the Patto, for 2 weekends in a row and for only for 4 hour sessions, I get bored really easily if nothing's biting for the first 2 hours. Much worse in the second weekend at the same spot because I've already been there and tend to lose interest after 2 hours.

I can see the appeal when you get an early hot bite and you hear of stories of guys getting their bag by 7:30 and just looking to upgrade after that. But I'm wondering what drives the seasoned tournament anglers when most are struggling to get their bag in 7 hours of fishing, when cast after cast after cast comes back with nothing to show for.
Perhaps its only me who's got a short attention span, but I find 4-5 hours on the water is plenty and if I don't get so much as a hit in the first hour, every bit of me wants to pack up and leave. With that in mind, I find the prospect of a tournament scene a bit daunting and I curious as to what drives you in a comp to stick at it for 7 hours with possibly nothing to show for it?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Poddy Bream

Great question. I am thinking of a couple of bream comps this year as well (boat not yak......how could you sit in a yak for 7 hours ?????). So I am interested to hear the replies from some seasoned tournament anglers !
Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNQX View Post
and I curious as to what drives you in a comp to stick at it for 7 hours
For the same reason as I stick at it for 7 hours during social sessions - The chance of catching bream

The beauty of the comp is that I tell my wife "I have to go, it's a comp"!

Monster Miki Addict
Old 02-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
For the same reason as I stick at it for 7 hours during social sessions - The chance of catching bream

Perhaps it's this reason............

I love getting out for a fish on weekends and getting a bag is usually easy enough. With 60 boats screaming up and down the river, everyone hitting your favourite spots and a non boater on board you have to think it through a lot more and be a lot more open minded and prepared to try different techniques.

Or I suspect this one may be more vaild................

The other reason, like Alex says " I have to go do a comp see you in Three days", for some reason this is fine. If I said "I'm going fishing and drinking for three days with my mates and need to spend a couple of hundred on gear and accomodation at least 6 times this year". I'm pretty sure I know where this one would get me.

I also have to hit the local waterways and fine tune techniques prior to comps as well, this somehow is also fine.

Cheers,
Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Big Bream

Hey mate
I love the tournament scene it's all about catching up with your mates and competing against the best in the business plus the never ending learning curve which comes with fishing with guys you've never met before and the most important thing is never ever give up we have all heard the stories of getting a bag in the last 30mins but I'll cast all day until the death knock-give it a go and I'm sure you'll enjoy it
Old 02-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Mature Bream

I think Alex has it covered

That and the opportunity to test your skills against other bream-obsessed individuals.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Blue Lip

I was told most blokes
do it for the money , Fame and Groupies ?

Just what I heard..

pig
Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigdog View Post
I was told most blokes
do it for the money , Fame and Groupies ?

Just what I heard..

pig
I personally don't do any tournaments (intend to though) but doing it for the money doesn't sound right
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickback View Post
I personally don't do any tournaments (intend to though) but doing it for the money doesn't sound right
No you're right i like the groupies idea way more!
Bream are like girls... I put to much effort into chasing them
www.vyak.net- Sheepy
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Poddy Bream

Groupies..............smells a bit fishy to me
Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

I see the thought process behind this.. but on the 2 points:

1. I still see the chance of catching bream if I fish those spots outside comp day minus Stompy's point of "60 boats screaming up and down the river, everyone hitting your favourite spots"...

2. I've been on fishing trips where I've left my wife and little boy behind and the thinking is that I can fully concentrate on fishing without them around but that doesn't seem to work for me. My little boy is at that adorable age where I can't wait to get back from work to see him and it seems to flow onto my fishing time as well. Yeah, ok.. soft, I know. The way I see it is, the little ones grow up too fast and I don't want to regret not having been around to enjoy his toddler years because I'd rather go fishing. I reckon its also not too long before I'll be able to take him along fishing for bream too.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Blue Lip

1 night drinking, followed by 1 days fishing (repeat X3)
Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscottfan View Post
the most important thing is never ever give up we have all heard the stories of getting a bag in the last 30mins but I'll cast all day until the death knock-give it a go and I'm sure you'll enjoy it
That's what I'm curious about. How do you keep your enthusiasm and expectation up for 7 hours and be able to concentrate on every cast and do the retrieve as though you're expecting to catch fish every cast despite having done that for hours prior for no result?

Do you have "breaks" in the middle of sessions to rest and then gear up again (like cricket batsmen do in between facing balls)?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Mature Bream

I think its the competitive nature that drives us (its what makes daiwa owners feel insecure if someone says SHIMANO!!!!!) I've talked with vaporboy for hours about how good it would be to do comps. Puting yourself against 40 other boats and competing to get that bigger bag. I guess its like playing footy or cricket (boring) and if you do get lucky and manage to win woo hoo
Bream are like girls... I put to much effort into chasing them
www.vyak.net- Sheepy
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo View Post
1 night drinking, followed by 1 days fishing (repeat X3)
Yeah, that's the other thing. Its going to sound like I'm really sad now, but I don't drink a drop of the bitter stuff. Just never acquired the taste of alcohol. Good thing too, because I tend to take things to the extreme and if I did learn to enjoy a drink or 2, it'll turn into a cask or 3.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: