Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Hard Bodies

Hard Bodies Diving minnows are the name of the game here…
Attack, Halco, Oargee, Tilsan. Rebel…

Old 26-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Blue Lip

Beat Eats

Length: 47mm
Weight: 1.8g
Type: Sinking
Colour: C-264

I finally got the chance to get out on the water and test these new lures. With the overcast conditions I thought it may be a bit tuff as I expect them to be a lure that fishes best in clear conditions with plenty of sun to concentrate the bream under the structure. We didn’t hit any special spots, any structure in sight go hammered. My first thought was the sink rate was a little slow and my patience was getting called upon. The first bream came only 15 mins after launching and it gave me a bit of confidence with the new lure. The bream hit the lure probably ¾’s of the way down and took off, nothing to brag about but still a bream. We continued along hulls chucking the Beat Eats right up tight to the hull and allowing it to sink under the hull, not action was imparted and they seemed to like it that way.

I decided to give them a crack under some pontoons in shallow water, 3 out of the first 4 pontoons resulted in a hook up with only one getting to the boat. The same technique was used and the bream would hit the lure before it got to the bottom.
With my polarised sunglasses on I could see the bream come up and grab the lure, some from the bottom and some from the top. The strikes from the bottom had a fairly good strike to hook up ratio but when the bream hit the lure on the top they missed the hooks almost every time. It was kinda like they intentionally avoided the hooks at times. I will be changing the hooks to light gauge owners to give me a better chance of pinning those tricky ones.
We hit plenty of different spots but mostly stuck to pontoons and hulls. I varied the technique sometimes but the majority of the bites came on the very slow sink under structure and you didn’t know the fish was on until you lifted the tip or the line started racing off. The lure has little action on the drop but seems to temps the bream into a bite no worries. The working action (imparted by angler) of the lure is nice and subtle and I can see many a bream getting pulled from pontoons by using small twitches and keeping the lure just under the structure.

I used 3lbs Fluoro carbon leader and light braid. My Idea of the perfect line for this lure would be 2lbs fluoro leader and braid, the sink rate of the lure is just too slow to use productively with anything heavier than 3lbs, the line will inhibit the lures sink rate. Some experiment with lead weight like suspender dots or alike might be worth a shot. I had no problem casting the 1.8 gram lure accurately but I wouldn’t suggest them as a flats lure as long range casting is a bit hard, with really light line and a long rod it may be achievable. I used the colour exclusively but I will be buying some other colours now I know they can catch a few bream.

Sorry for the small bream, I will hit some goods spots next time but this was just to test them out and see if they produced in a searching situation. Im sure there will be plenty of crackers caught on these in the future. I was quite impressed with this new lure and found once I got the whole patience thing under wraps the bream came at a steady rate. Anyone who likes fishing really lightly weighted plastics under pontoons and hulls will have a ball with these.

If you want to get your hands on some of these Adam at fishin.com.au has plenty and for a good price

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BassE7.jpg (46.6 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg BassE4.jpg (49.4 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg BassE3.jpg (36.2 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg BassE.jpg (71.1 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg BassE5.jpg (61.4 KB, 275 views)
Old 27-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Big Bream

Thanks so much for the report.

You covered a lot of info on them, would be interesting to see if they still have much action after having sticky weight added etc.

Cheers

Mick.
Old 27-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Blue Lip

It would changed the action for sure. No harm in trying. I think they catch fish really well, how many new lures catch you 5-6 bream on the first trip in less than ideal conditions?

Last edited by Bobby Bass; 27-02-2012 at 07:26 AM.