Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members If you have just registered, pop in here to meet the gang.

Old 18-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Blue Lip

It's a personal choice, I was just curious.

I'll probably get Woddy arguing with me here, but the following is my opinion and is shared by a lot of the guys I fish with, some won't agree.
I find the 1000 size Shimano reel spools to small for casting ultra-light and unweighted lures. I can cast quite a bit further with a 1500 size Daiwa. While Shimano make excellent reel, there's nothing between the 1000 and 2500 sizes (which I find to big for bream fishing), which is why I see Daiwa dominating in that particular market in Australia.
Also, from my experience, the Shimano Sustain 1000FD drag system doesn't stay smooth for long (I've owned quite a few), whereas my Luvias 1500's have caught some monster fish and still run as smooth as the day I got them. I've only owned one Stella, which had an awesome drag also, I got rid of it due to the small size of the spool.
I'm currently trying to upgrade my main bream outfits to Daiwa Certate 1500's but it's too costly an exercise to rush into. (I'm a pedantic bugger and don't like have different kinds of reels to use, I like all my gear to be the same)

Have you tried any Quantum reels? Any thoughts?

Also, I'm thinking of getting some Kistler Helium LTA rods from the US, any experience with these?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I value your perspective on these items.

Andrew
Old 18-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Mature Bream

Swoffa
You will get no arguement out of me. I like the 2500 size for Bass and inshore saltwater fishing. I own quite a few in that size. But for the smaller panfish that I posted the 1000 Size is the best balanced large sized spool reel I have ever tried. I just love mine. That being said if Dawia came out with a TD-Z 1000 or 750 exact size of the stella 1000 I wouls switch or at least look at one very hard. I am not a big fan of Quantum reels, they are good but not up to Daiwa or Shimano levels. I also use matching tackle, just find it easier to put down one rod and pick up another rigged with a different lure but the same reel and rod type. For me G Loomis rods rock.
I just talked to Trey Kistler about his rods yesterday. I found a few that would work really well for your bream fishing. His rods are very nice. My friend owns a high claiber tackle shop not far from my house. Check out his brands on the web. www.anglers paradise.com. He is also linked to an on-line sales area landbigfish.com He has everything for bass and quite alot that would work good for bream. I just ordered and received a panfish kit from yamamoto. It has 2in senkos in it. I think they would work great for your fishing.
Old 18-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Blue Lip

Thanks again for the reply. I also sent you a PM.

Those 2" Senko's sound good, I haven't seen them that small.

I'll check out your friends shop soon.

I'm glad I'm not the only pedantic fisho who has to have matching outfits when on the water. (fishing outfits not clothing )

I'll certainly be talking to you further about Kistlers when I'm ready to buy, it'll be good to get a comparison between some of the models and some Loomis sticks that I'm familiar with.

Thanks agian.

Andrew
Old 18-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Blue Lip

I just had a quick look at your friends site, he has everything.

It looks like a good alternative to BassPro and Cabelas for me to consider. (especially with BassPro now using Fedex and charging a fortune to deliver to Australia)

Andrew