Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfinfisho View Post
Anyone know what inserts are used on AGS guides because they appear to be really thin not like a tractional Fuji insert are they SiC, they're not using Torzite.
From the bottom of the AGS link - Faqs

Q. How many kinds of guides does AGS have?
AGS consists of basically 3 types of guides which are loaded on rod blanks in the most suitable way depending on their categories. Carbon frame and titanium ring, Carbon frame and SiC ring, Titanium frame and titanium ring.

Q. Why are there SiC rings and titanium rings?
Although SiC is rigid material, it can be fragile, too. Titanium is not as rigid as SiC, but pliable and does not break when it is formed thin. DAIWA has special technology of processing titanium ring, making it light and thin without losing its rigidity. AGS currently uses both SiC and titanium ring.

Read the rest of FAQ http://daiwafishing.com.au/products/...-rods/ags-faq/ - Guide breakage is the owners responsibility.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Blue Lip

VX, straight to the front of the class!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
VX, straight to the front of the class!
lol ... thanks Mr Manno.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Poddy Bream

Guys,
I havent seen these yet but have been told and explained what there all about. yes there 10% lighter in ring and shape is different to normal sic which results in a thinner profile ring that will allow you to go down a size in ring in most situations. cost im told is roughly 20-30% dearer than equivalent titanium sic. the main benifit is that you can go down a size on all guides and remove about 30% of the guide weight which will add more sensativity and crispness to the rod.
cheers
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Blue Lip

20% extra in cost for up too 30% reduction in guide weight.
Seems like a no brainer.

I can already feel the crispness

Australian Designed and Owned
Old 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM
SLAZMO

I wonder if it will be out of reach like gold cermet guides were, all I know is that these will only be on premium rods for a number of years until the hype dies off. Good on Fuji for producing these, love nice guides but doubt ill be changing anytime soon??
Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Mature Bream

Stop focusing on weight and put more emphasis on smoothness, that is what the ring material is there for. Torzite is 'apparently' 400% less abrasive than SiC (fuji's own not a knockoff), which means less wear and tear on lines. couple that with the lightness and reduced ring thickness and you have a pretty expensive but high performing guide.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAZMO View Post
all I know is that these will only be on premium rods for a number of years until the hype dies off
doubtful, the reason gold c's went out was their limited gain over SiC, there was only one advantage to them and unless every fish you caught burnt line off like you hooked a car it was wasted money on a pretty guide.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Stop focusing on weight
I think the lightweight and reduced frame size is the best feature. Unless you are fishing for Tuna and Marlin every day then SiC is more than capable.

TORZITE Titanium KR guides....ZOMG so crisp.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Mature Bream

I'm sure they'll be nice but to me it's just another means to manufacturers gouging customers.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paz View Post
I think the lightweight and reduced frame size is the best feature. Unless you are fishing for Tuna and Marlin every day then SiC is more than capable.

TORZITE Titanium KR guides....ZOMG so crisp.
the big reductions in weight will be in the larger guides only, and really we are making the transition to kr/mircowave concepts so youll only have a few larger guides in the lower section of the rod, your running guides will have minimal weight savings. these are the guides at the tip and make the biggest difference. so yes they will be lighter but dont expect 30% less weight for all guides. its the life of your lines that will have the biggest increase i think
Old 09-10-2013, 05:08 AM
SLAZMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paz View Post
Sic's always been more than capable. Sic's possibly the best that anyone would ever need, I have Sic's with stainless frames, the better choice would be the Ti frames however I cant see the need for them, nor the price tag. It reminds me of the time when I worked in a road bike shop, all the weight weenies / gutter bunnies wanted Ti bolts to save 15 grams off their bikes weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reLapse View Post
I'm sure they'll be nice but to me it's just another means to manufacturers gouging customers.
Spot on!

Quote:
its the life of your lines that will have the biggest increase i think
Think about all the suspended sediments in the water that act like a abrasive when the line runs over the guide, salt, sediment and whatever else is in there??? Regardless of the guide, you cant rid the water of these abrasives...
Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
the big reductions in weight will be in the larger guides only, and really we are making the transition to kr/mircowave concepts so youll only have a few larger guides in the lower section of the rod, your running guides will have minimal weight savings. these are the guides at the tip and make the biggest difference. so yes they will be lighter but dont expect 30% less weight for all guides. its the life of your lines that will have the biggest increase i think
The actual torzite insert is thinner which is where some of this weight saving comes from so the smaller guides may still be lighter and may make a difference but I understand what you're saying and I will reserve anymore judgment until I have felt a rod with them
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Mature Bream

The million dollar question will it catch me more fish or will it burn a hole in my pocket.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:37 AM
SLAZMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix88 View Post
The million dollar question will it catch me more fish or will it burn a hole in my pocket.
Burn a million dollar hole in your pocket in which the fish will pass straight through without you knowing it...