Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Big Bream

That, and there blanks (GLX especially) are brilliant. If I had the dosh I'd have the TSR like Rocksy.

Matthewsiow, GLX is the blank type (It's a Loomis thing) with the TSRXXX being the specific rod model
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobby View Post
That, and there blanks (GLX especially) are brilliant. If I had the dosh I'd have the TSR like Rocksy.

Matthewsiow, GLX is the blank type (It's a Loomis thing) with the TSRXXX being the specific rod model
862-2 = 86 inches, 2 power, 2 pc
Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksy View Post
My Holy Grail... a perfectly balanced 2-4kg stick.
Caldia 2506 and TSR862-2 GLX

I'm in love.
its tip heavy
Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Mature Bream

its all about the blanks fellas, they have been the leaders in blank development for years. and thats why they have gotten so big. how many rod makers actually make the blanks themselves and how many just buy from china
and thats why they arnt big on 'bling'. they aim for peformance not looks.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pivot- View Post
G Loomis is definately not popular for its bling. But, I think its more like a monument. After being so popular towards fishermen before I would have been born. Its more of a legacy, and merely to own one. In a way boost your confidence and make you feel comfortable with what you're using.
In a way the age, would make you beleive that G Loomis is a very experience brand and reliable.
I think its merely a fact of mind over matter.

-Pivot-

not to blow smoke up my own date but i have a rod rack full of bream rods ranging from loomis' entry level gl2 through to glx and also a few rather expensive jdm rods and after having used glx/imx for the money i rate them as the nicest rods i have used, its got nothing to do with the name written on the side of the rod at all and nor do i or know anybody who feels "special and overly confident" just for owning them. they just simply make really nice rods at a price that is nearly half of their jdm rivals.

somebody said previously that the rod uses the whole blank etcetc, thats nothing to do with loomis its the taper of any blank, my glx dsr820s is rather stiff and rarely is the thing loaded past half way on the blank because it has such a fast taper, but my glx sr842-2 whilst still being crisp loads through the whole rod as it has a lot slower taper.

yes they are a lot more expensive then raiders/dropshots/trions etc but even glx is cheap compared to most megabass/nories/evergreen and they are just as good as those ferrari brands and they have spent the time over many years to have a massive line up of rods to suit everybody and every situation.

they are worth every cent, i fish nearly everyday so all of my rods have paid for themselves in a roundabout way, if i didnt fish everyday i wouldnt spend the money on loomis as i wouldnt know the difference but its like a bike rider on the the tour de france, they wouldnt spend $100 on a kmart bike, they spend top dollar for a top quality product that they choose to use because they know it does the job and does it well and they know its worth the extra coin involved, same as just about anything, cars, footy boots, tools the list goes on, you pay for quality but if you dont use it enough you wont know the difference between good and bad
Old 06-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G factor View Post
its tip heavy
Your tip heavy
Old 06-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben k View Post
its all about the blanks fellas, they have been the leaders in blank development for years. and thats why they have gotten so big. how many rod makers actually make the blanks themselves and how many just buy from china
and thats why they arnt big on 'bling'. they aim for peformance not looks.
Could not have said it better myself
Live by the Loomis
Die by the Loomis
Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav02 View Post
not to blow smoke up my own date but i have a rod rack full of bream rods ranging from loomis' entry level gl2 through to glx and also a few rather expensive jdm rods and after having used glx/imx for the money i rate them as the nicest rods i have used, its got nothing to do with the name written on the side of the rod at all and nor do i or know anybody who feels "special and overly confident" just for owning them. they just simply make really nice rods at a price that is nearly half of their jdm rivals.

somebody said previously that the rod uses the whole blank etcetc, thats nothing to do with loomis its the taper of any blank, my glx dsr820s is rather stiff and rarely is the thing loaded past half way on the blank because it has such a fast taper, but my glx sr842-2 whilst still being crisp loads through the whole rod as it has a lot slower taper.

yes they are a lot more expensive then raiders/dropshots/trions etc but even glx is cheap compared to most megabass/nories/evergreen and they are just as good as those ferrari brands and they have spent the time over many years to have a massive line up of rods to suit everybody and every situation.

they are worth every cent, i fish nearly everyday so all of my rods have paid for themselves in a roundabout way, if i didnt fish everyday i wouldnt spend the money on loomis as i wouldnt know the difference but its like a bike rider on the the tour de france, they wouldnt spend $100 on a kmart bike, they spend top dollar for a top quality product that they choose to use because they know it does the job and does it well and they know its worth the extra coin involved, same as just about anything, cars, footy boots, tools the list goes on, you pay for quality but if you dont use it enough you wont know the difference between good and bad

Sorry mate,

I never ment to say that the brand sells the rod. It's obviously is a good brand (GL2) its nice and feels perfect for barra.
But IMO the brand and record that Loomis's have must play a major role. I mean, G Loomis is one of the biggest talked about rod in the world. Not owning a pricey one. I'm not sure whether Its a matter of fact. Or. just the legacy talking.
I may be wrong, not trying to ark up a issue here, nor do I take your reply as a offence. I respect your opinion.
I'm just sharing my 2 cents.
Love loomis rods none-the-less.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Blue Lip

Fair spewing that what I had just taken the time to write out got wiped because I walked away from the computer on the phone and log in timed out haha

I agree with several of sav's points, especially power distribution because of taper etc. Different horses for different courses.

Also agree as far as price vs jdm rods. And with the warranty fee's now up and retail down their price point is way more competitive.

Haha someone made a point about other cheaper rods having fuji components as well? Haha beleive me there is a massive difference between alco's and recoils. Compare a barina and a calais; both Holden. Likewise can be said for fuji and for loomis itself. Big big difference from gl2 to glx.

Performance wise the glx series are equal with the best rods I've ever picked up. Between a glx tsr and dsr I have pretty much every light tackle lure target covered, and am able to throw every plastic and hardbait you could ever want to for light tackle sportsfish. No arguing that they aren't as pretty as evergreens, norries or megabass rods but on my income I have to sacrafice something and for the moment thats looks for performance.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't fish with them if I could fish with something that was just as good and cheaper. People who use them will understand. People who don't can't.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by __MATT__ View Post
Fair spewing that what I had just taken the time to write out got wiped because I walked away from the computer on the phone and log in timed out haha

I agree with several of sav's points, especially power distribution because of taper etc. Different horses for different courses.

Also agree as far as price vs jdm rods. And with the warranty fee's now up and retail down their price point is way more competitive.

Haha someone made a point about other cheaper rods having fuji components as well? Haha beleive me there is a massive difference between alco's and recoils. Compare a barina and a calais; both Holden. Likewise can be said for fuji and for loomis itself. Big big difference from gl2 to glx.

Performance wise the glx series are equal with the best rods I've ever picked up. Between a glx tsr and dsr I have pretty much every light tackle lure target covered, and am able to throw every plastic and hardbait you could ever want to for light tackle sportsfish. No arguing that they aren't as pretty as evergreens, norries or megabass rods but on my income I have to sacrafice something and for the moment thats looks for performance.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't fish with them if I could fish with something that was just as good and cheaper. People who use them will understand. People who don't can't.
"Bottom line is that I wouldn't fish with them if I could fish with something that was just as good and cheaper. People who use them will understand. People who don't can't"

couldnt have been said any better
Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Big Bream

Bling on a rod has it's place, G-Factors Racingcondition for instance.. it's a black carbon fiber mofo of doom. Something i see Q giving James Bond to catch his dinner. Awesome to look at and i suspect awesome to fish with.

That's Megabass's Schick, not bling but works of art you can fish with.

Loomis is what the CIA fishes with, blends in with the background doesn't get noticed. but it gets the job done, no muss, no fuss. I've always wanted one.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Big Bream

hahaha fair way of putting it, yeah its nice having sexy gear but like you said something that looks sexy doesnt mean it will catch you more fish but i like the cia referance haha
Old 07-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav02 View Post

Good call.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksy View Post
My Holy Grail... a perfectly balanced 2-4kg stick.
Caldia 2506 and TSR862-2 GLX

I'm in love.

Thats just the centre of balance with no real referecne of where it actually should be....my GENIII and Deceiver can do that....but fair call....thats very impressive...quality gear.Full stop.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Mature Bream

Hi all,

I have used many rods over the past 20 years and find you get what you pay for , i own 3 GLX and would'nt use anything else now .

I think people spend far too much money on reels, when the most important part of your tackle is the rod , as this delivers the lure to the fish.

Thats my thoughts anyway

cheers
Gary