Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Tips and Hints

Tips and Hints Share Your Experience and Help Others Get That Dream Shot

Old 24-07-2014, 02:07 AM
Mature Bream

I'm one that doesn't bother in winter, but you have me interested. Whats your catch rate like in winter on lures (are they sort of something you throw around if you notice activity while live baiting or do you throw them searching for fish)? Do you ever chase them during the day, or is night really the only time you find them actively feeding?
Old 24-07-2014, 03:46 AM
Big Bream

Its a tough one because Maroochy River which I do 90% of my fishing in is much smaller than down your way.. So over the last 6 years of fishing it hard I know when, where and what with for anytime of the year of any river species.

But for me in my river I have 3 land based spots and 2 boat spots for catching Jacks in winter. 2 are mangrove drain holes, 2 are deep holes and 1 is a big rock in the middle of nothing.

Catch rate is 100%. I do do daytime fishing for jacks and got onto a very large one 3 weeks ago through a fallen gum tree up petrie creek waiting for the flathead to come on. That was with the Zerek Cherabin, but he busted me.

Lures are definitely the go if your boating though. You can cover hundreds of meters in an hour. But for me I find night time, big mullet the best way to catch big Jacks consistently. No traffic, no other fisho's. I find Jacks are actively moving more at night, whethers its for feeding or moving around they're definitely out there more during the night in winter, which is what you'd want to be doing if your land based.

But yeah its hard to say "this is what you do and you will see success" because whatever I say is how it works for me in my system. I've done the hard yards to find the spots, etc. So it is somewhat more about wait and catch rather than fishing for me. Now I'm starting to spend more time trying out new plastics, light offshore and beach work.

A tip for you though. If your out boating and catch a jack or find a large school of bait, mark it and try the same spot during the night big artificial prawns and live baits. There's also a prawn you can get with arms longer than their body around oyster rocks and drains only at night that I've had massive success with on Jacks, Jewies and big bream. If you can gather them, you'll have more success than livies and lures put together.

These 4 are from last year June/July/Aug when I first started trying the live Prawns/Shrimp from the oyster rock/drain I first discovered them at.
Old 25-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Mature Bream

Thanks for the detailed reply mate!

You have me inspired now to at least have a crack, I don't bait fish at all, but I am going to take your advice and throw a mullet around some of the spots we get heaps in summer and see what happens.

Thanks again!
Old 25-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Big Bream

No worries. If you have spots you get them in summer you will definitely get them there at night with big live mullet. Dont go anything under 20cm though, the bream will realise something is wrong an congregate picking there eyes out, etc. just needs to be a stand alone mullet the jack thinks its about to ambush. Good luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: