Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 04:14 AM
Big Bream

Keeping a native fish aquarium???!!

Just wondering if you guys have had any experience with keeping natives in an aquarium. What size tank, filter and food would I need. At the moment I could get yabbys and lot of worms but yeah thinking of getting a bass and a yellow belly. Just some help on the sort of set up I would need would be great.

Cheers Nick.
Old 13-02-2013, 04:33 AM
Blue Lip

I had bass for a while, and my old man has had all types of natives.

Basically I was running a 4x2x2 with a Fluval FX5 running it (Occasionally ran an Otto internal, but once the FX5 was going she was sweet). Brackish water and plenty of structure with timber and rock. Try going through some of the forums plenty of great advise. Particularly QLDAF, based in QLD but its got a huge basis of people from all over Australia, some other good ones out there mate.

Not sure if you have had any experience with aquariums before, so if you have any questions, swing me a PM.

Cheers Ozzie

www.searingtackle.com.au
Old 13-02-2013, 04:35 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyDay View Post
Just wondering if you guys have had any experience with keeping natives in an aquarium. What size tank, filter and food would I need. At the moment I could get yabbys and lot of worms but yeah thinking of getting a bass and a yellow belly. Just some help on the sort of set up I would need would be great.

Cheers Nick.
Had lots of natives in my time mate! Had Murray Cod, Yellas, catfish, Silver perch, spangled perch, barra and bass.

The murray cod and bass were by far the most exciting fish I had.

A fish tank over 4ft is ideal, but a 3 footer will suffice, a good filter and a lots of aeration is good especially for the bass. I used to feed mine shrimp and nymphs from down the river. Anything that i could catch in a net would be fed to em! Yabbies, small fish and worms are all good. If you cant find anything then you should be able to get frozen blood worm from you local pet shop. Crickets/grasshoppers from the pet shop are also good fun!
Old 13-02-2013, 04:44 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatch View Post
Had lots of natives in my time mate! Had Murray Cod, Yellas, catfish, Silver perch, spangled perch, barra and bass.

The murray cod and bass were by far the most exciting fish I had.

A fish tank over 4ft is ideal, but a 3 footer will suffice, a good filter and a lots of aeration is good especially for the bass. I used to feed mine shrimp and nymphs from down the river. Anything that i could catch in a net would be fed to em! Yabbies, small fish and worms are all good. If you cant find anything then you should be able to get frozen blood worm from you local pet shop. Crickets/grasshoppers from the pet shop are also good fun!
Not to mention live feeders!!

www.searingtackle.com.au
Old 13-02-2013, 05:01 AM
Banned

Get a pair of small bass and/or a Murray cod. Very interactive with their owners. I found yellas a bit shy ..
Old 13-02-2013, 05:19 AM
Big Bream

Cheers guys I know where I can catch a pair of bass around the 35-40cm mark and 40 to 50cm yellas easily. My brother has 4ft tank with blue youngest but I hoping to get rid of them as there not very exciting. But it doesn't look like a can so what would the price of a 4ft tank set me back?
Old 13-02-2013, 05:33 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Cheers guys I know where I can catch a pair of bass around the 35-40cm mark and 40 to 50cm yellas easily. My brother has 4ft tank with blue youngest but I hoping to get rid of them as there not very exciting. But it doesn't look like a can so what would the price of a 4ft tank set me back?

If you do it yourself, it can be done for cheap - never done it - but I just watched a bloke who has

He mentions he has a video on bracing for larger tanks

Old 13-02-2013, 05:41 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Go on gumtree etc and look for full setups.. Depending on what size tank you want and what running gear you plan on using you should pick up decent 4ft setup for around $300
Old 13-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
If you do it yourself, it can be done for cheap - never done it - but I just watched a bloke who has

He mentions he has a video on bracing for larger tanks

I was waiting for it to cave in.
Old 13-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Big Bream

Thanks guys. I know where I can get a bass but ill have trouble finding a "small cod".
Old 13-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Thanks guys. I know where I can get a bass but ill have trouble finding a "small cod".

Catching wild fish and putting them in a fish tank is a no no ! You cant catch tadpoles and take them home let alone bass, cod and yellow belly, better option would to BUY them as fingerlings. There are plenty of places you can BUY all 3 rather than go and deplete a wild population.
Old 13-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupong View Post
Catching wild fish and putting them in a fish tank is a no no ! You cant catch tadpoles and take them home let alone bass, cod and yellow belly, better option would to BUY them as fingerlings. There are plenty of places you can BUY all 3 rather than go and deplete a wild population.
Have to agree with Tupong on this one, fish that size will not take too well to a relocation especially to a relocation to a new tank that is that small.

There are a few places that will sell smaller fish that you can raise yourself that are not coming out of an active fishery.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 13-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupong View Post
+2
Old 13-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Blue Lip

Get your fish from pet shops mate, as mentioned wild fish of that size are way too big for a 4 or 6ft tank and their very unlikley to cope well.

if you get a fingerling or hatchling at least then you can train them with food instead of watching a wild fish banging into the glass repeatedly before stresing out and floating
Old 13-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Big Bream

Oh okay I didn't think taking one would hurt? But how is the grow speed of them?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: