Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Fingerling

Service port

Is this the service port? If so, what's the recommended lubricant one would insert? How would one tell whether this needs topping up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stella_service_port.jpg (147.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felofasofa View Post
Is this the service port? If so, what's the recommended lubricant one would insert? How would one tell whether this needs topping up?
Back in the days when the engineers at Shimano were like "proper" thinkers - the service port was on the RH side, that allowed a better access to the pinion gear and applying a grease or oil to it directly which would transfer to the pinion.

These days with the access port being on the LH side, as you can see the main gear obscures any real access to any gears face.

You can buy the Shimano spray greases and oils, that would be best as in regards to forcing enough in there to get to the applicable surfaces. Dropping oil in there and allowing it to flow onto faces will see most if not all just go where it doesn't need to be in the end.

You could use a high quality spray grease and give it a blast but - hear me out on this.

"IT WILL GET MESSY IN THERE!"
Old 03-02-2018, 08:27 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Back in the days when the engineers at Shimano were like "proper" thinkers - the service port was on the RH side, that allowed a better access to the pinion gear and applying a grease or oil to it directly which would transfer to the pinion.

These days with the access port being on the LH side, as you can see the main gear obscures any real access to any gears face.

You can buy the Shimano spray greases and oils, that would be best as in regards to forcing enough in there to get to the applicable surfaces. Dropping oil in there and allowing it to flow onto faces will see most if not all just go where it doesn't need to be in the end.

You could use a high quality spray grease and give it a blast but - hear me out on this.

"IT WILL GET MESSY IN THERE!"
Hmmm, somewhat disappointing....I assume lubricating via where the handle shaft inserts would be pointless?

Speaking of the handle. This reel is setup as a lefty - which I like - however the reel came with another shaft which I assume is for right hand use. I want to keep it as a lefty, but out of curiosity I attempted to remove the cap on the other side, but it is insanely tight and won't budge. The left is a reverse thread. I assume this is the case on the right?

Apolgies in advance if I'm hijacking this thread with my newbie questions....
Old 03-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Hmmm, somewhat disappointing....I assume lubricating via where the handle shaft inserts would be pointless?
Other than the main gear bearings getting a drop of oil routinely, the innards wont get anything from that access.

Quote:
Speaking of the handle. This reel is setup as a lefty - which I like - however the reel came with another shaft which I assume is for right hand use. I want to keep it as a lefty, but out of curiosity I attempted to remove the cap on the other side, but it is insanely tight and won't budge. The left is a reverse thread. I assume this is the case on the right?
Its the same thread direction - get a piece of rug non slip matting or a rubber dish glove and really give it a slow twist - seems that if there is a O Ring under that cap - time, heat, oil etc make it one of the hardest things to remove - I actually removed a handle blanking cap the other day with a appropriate sized allen key it was that hard to manually remove.

Quote:
Apologies in advance if I'm hijacking this thread with my newbie questions....
No stress at all - its all valid.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:05 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post

Its the same thread direction - get a piece of rug non slip matting or a rubber dish glove and really give it a slow twist - seems that if there is a O Ring under that cap - time, heat, oil etc make it one of the hardest things to remove - I actually removed a handle blanking cap the other day with a appropriate sized allen key it was that hard to manually remove.
Thanks for the insights Slazmo, I'll give that a go, although I'm not overly concerned if I can't remove it.

Overall I very happy with the little Stella - it's a stunning little reel - and my first high quality spin. Mounted on a 7' Samaki C-12 II 4-8lbs, it's a really light setup and very enjoyable to use flinging small HB's/plastics.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Mature Bream

I dunno, I may be old school, or ignorant, but apart from a good clean, I've never had a reel 'serviced.' I've owned a couple of very sweet Daiwa Luvias 1500 reels for well over 10 years - salt and freshwater use and have never needed anything other than a good rinse in freshwater, after saltwater use.

They still winch the fish in and are as smooth as the day I bought them...

PB EP 31cm - Ecogear SX40 - Colour 310.
PB Brown Trout 52cm - Rapala F5 - Brown Trout
PB Rainbow Trout 60cm - Wet Fly
PB Bass 37cm - Rapala F5 - Brown Trout
PB Bream 33cm - on a very life-like sandworm a long time ago...
Old 06-02-2018, 03:15 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca33 View Post
I dunno, I may be old school, or ignorant, but apart from a good clean, I've never had a reel 'serviced.' I've owned a couple of very sweet Daiwa Luvias 1500 reels for well over 10 years - salt and freshwater use and have never needed anything other than a good rinse in freshwater, after saltwater use.

They still winch the fish in and are as smooth as the day I bought them...
I hear you macca. I grew up fishing in NZ with Mitchell and Penn overheads that we never serviced and they didn't miss a beat. Not sure why I have so much angst. May be because it's my dosh and not the old mans.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:42 AM
Fingerling

What's the recommended chemicals to apply to a reels external surfaces after a session of saltwater fishing? I've read somewhere on here that it's a mix of lanolin and something else?
Old 11-02-2018, 06:02 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
What's the recommended chemicals to apply to a reels external surfaces after a session of saltwater fishing? I've read somewhere on here that it's a mix of lanolin and something else?
i actually use automotive quick detail spray (aka car polish) on the exterior of the reels once in a while.(and on my outboard)
water/salt doesnt stick to it as much and the coating leaves the reels nice and shiny and proteted.
find one that has no silicone in it as it can make the reel splippery to hold
Old 11-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
i actually use automotive quick detail spray (aka car polish) on the exterior of the reels once in a while.(and on my outboard)
water/salt doesnt stick to it as much and the coating leaves the reels nice and shiny and proteted.
Hmm, car polish eh? I think I've got some lying around. Thanks for the tip purple5ive.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Hmm, car polish eh? I think I've got some lying around. Thanks for the tip purple5ive.
yes, but use the quick detailer type, the ones that you spray on and wipe off, spray into a microfibre towel and then wipe the reels with it.

dont use the paste type stuff unless you want to spend hours getting it back off the reel.

something like these, but just make sure you get the ones without silicone (i believe VOC compliant ones are the silicone free varieties)

http://search.supercheapauto.com.au/...Spray-Detailer

Last edited by purple5ive; 11-02-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
yes, but use the quick detailer type, the ones that you spray on and wipe off, spray into a microfibre towel and then wipe the reels with it.

dont use the paste type stuff unless you want to spend hours getting it back off the reel.

something like these, but just make sure you get the ones without silicone (i believe VOC compliant ones are the silicone free varieties)

http://search.supercheapauto.com.au/...Spray-Detailer
Cheers, thanks for the detailed response and link purple5ive.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Silicon free - why?
Old 11-02-2018, 10:37 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
:d
Old 11-02-2018, 11:53 PM
Blue Lip

Slippery. That'd be a first.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: