Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Whos using what, find out in here.

Old 23-01-2018, 08:59 PM
Blue Lip

Reel service intervals - thoughts.

So saw a video the other day with a prominent person in the game and watched it through, certain things i can agree and certainly disagree on but thats life and thats everyones opinions that they're more than welcome to.

But at the end of the vid the comment goes a little like this "use the reel more and service less and use the reel less and service more".

Now I've heard a lot and not wanting to say I'm right over anyone but to me the comment was certainly a bit awkward - for common sense would dictate the direct opposite.

What I was saying a while back is that the following would make good sense for a range of scenarios.

Tourno fishers - service as frequently / as necessary - due to reels being used near full time off boats and getting the wet on wet treatment more than say a weekend warrior.

Weekend warriors - service as frequently as desired - the harder you fish the harder the reels will work and common sense would sugest that they need some love. These guys fish hard and that shows on their gear so anything from 6 / 12 monthly or if it gets dunked etc.

Occasional fisho's - like myself in the sporadic event after work, light weekend work and spur of the moment you would see the intervals drawn out to 12 months - with own light touch ups along the way.

Seldom fisho's - 12 months or as seen fit - keep the reels moving and self touch ups as required.

Now doing touch ups I would say helps prolong a service interval for bearings especially the LRB. Some like in the newer range of Shimano's where no service port exists a screw removed and exposing the bearing to get to its face with a pinpoint oiler is absolutely best along with other bearings around the reel. Aling with that adding oil to the shaft and any shaft / pinion bearing is a must to allowing some form of wear resistance between those applicable parts.

Grease and oils are consumable and definitely a expendable thing in a reel, they do wear out and should be replaced, they can be added to as the old grease from the main and pinion is usually 'thrown / shorn" off the gears from pressure or an accumulation of speed and pressure during fishing itself - and worse when reels are heated in the direct sunlight (radiant heat) where greases start to soften and oils can flash off & it all starts to go bad for the gearbox.

In some exceptional circumstances grease on the main and pinion becomes metallic where the lesser grade / strong (usually aluminium) drive gear wears against the pinion and the grease traps the worn metallic fragments and it will just promote further wear - funily enough the reel remains smooth while this cutting compound of sorts just keeps grinding away at both surfaces. This usually meaning a heart transplant or the reel in time of the main and pinion gearing and if bad enough the idler gears too for oscillation as its all worn relatively over the lifetime.

Its all strange at the moment with thoughts and "trends" & FB followings usually disputes erupt into arguments just because of 'loyalties'. What i want to do is discuss this and not get to any arguments or promote anything and no malicious thoughts intended on any party.

Last edited by Slazmo; 23-01-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 24-01-2018, 12:00 AM
Mature Bream

Also depends who services your reel, they might come back worse than before the service.
I use to get John Devitt to service my overheads but have never had my spinning reels serviced and they seem as good as the day I bought them.
Old 24-01-2018, 12:08 AM
Blue Lip

The before and after servicing thing is hard - its a big disruption to the whole mechanical set place of the parts - when they go back even on perfect "same" set place the reel may need time to settle and work back in.

Just my thoughts on that. Its a hard thing - some people dont service because it feels fine yet inside is putrid - that grease has lost most / if not all lubricity and turn into a cutting paste as mentioned above.
Old 24-01-2018, 12:12 AM
Mature Bream

Have to agree with your thoughts on reel service. I fall into a category of a 12 month service whether the reel needs it or not. The wife and i have 30 odd reels between us of different brands, sizes and ages. I do the majority of these myself as the cost of postage and service for so many is prohibitive. Add to that the service and parts supply from the two big players is disappointing to say the least. Although i am no slazmo inside a reel the basics can be achieved by almost anyone who is prepared to research, learn and be patient.
Our reels are split 50/50 Daiwa and Shimano. I find Shimano easier to service and our Daiwa stable of reels more long lived seemingly needing service less often. None the less they all get a 12 month overhaul .
Old 24-01-2018, 02:48 AM
Poddy Bream

I service my own reels, and usually when i feel like it. Even service when they dont need to, just to keep myself busy. But id say about a yearly rate.

Unless one of my reels gets dunked in water or sand. Then it would get done asap
Old 24-01-2018, 04:03 AM
Blue Lip

Used to do it for something to do, but now i go by if it aint broke.

If it starts to feel dry, oil the bearings and new grease on the gears. Drop of oil down the main shaft and line roller every couple of trips..Gone are the days of complete strip downs and clean.. Fishing freshwater mostly so don't feel too bad, and whilst i fish most weekends, have a few reels that get used on rotation so hours per year are probably not a lot.

But yet, definitely would service after a light dunk, even in freshwater. If nothing else, open the reel so that it dries quicker.

All the gear, no idea
Old 24-01-2018, 04:17 AM
Honker

I'll give my LRB's and other easy to access bearings a squirt every now and then - but apart from that - I wait till I hear something wrong - then get on Breammaster and ask how to fix it
Old 01-02-2018, 04:45 AM
Fingerling

Servicing

Hi all, first post here. I recently picked up a couple of spin reels from Gumtree - A Daiwa, and a Shimano. Both are cosmetically 9/10. Both spin silky smooth and seem totally issue free. The Daiwa had one previous owner and is relatively new I think. It's a Magseal reel. Never been serviced I'm pretty sure. The Shimano is older and a JDM reel judging from the all Japanese language documentation.

My question is, should I have a peak inside? Should I get them serviced? I'm pretty handy with a screw driver and used to regularly service my old Abu 6000 overhead when I was a Yak fisher. That reel got regular saltwater dunkings, but I found it relatively easy to tear down, clean and lube, and put it back together. It's a pretty simple reel though and is still going strong. These spin reels look quite a bit more complex.

My own fishing habits vary from intense activity to weeks and months of no use. I'm an irregular fisho.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Poddy Bream

Brand and loyalty thing aside. Keeping a reel "fresh" does no harm. So a reel that is less frequently used especially in our climate can have oils and grease "age" quite rapidly if they are not stored in a way that minimises the effect of heat and light. Grease in particular is vulnerable. In a light and air tight tube all is good for ages. In the guts of a reel where there has been the possibility even of salt laden air and as has been pointed out fine metal wear deposit, can promote deterioration.

My maintenance program is once a year for stored reels used only in fresh water . Salt water reels more frequently if I see any evidence of corrosion.

Frequently used reels get the same, however, shafts, bail and handle are kept fresh lubed after a good clean.
My technique is to fresh lube the reel before clean with a drop or two of oil. Wipe clean and rotate a few times, wipe again and rotate. Then a final lube if there is no evidence of residual particles or discolouration.
The bail roller is the key target for me as tiny shielded bearings fail more easily/ frequently.
I do not flush reels under running water at all. Use a number of different tools an materials to wipe clean with tepid fresh water only.
After use and clean/dry make a mark on bail roller with a marker pen and check that roller is free running.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:09 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felofasofa View Post
Hi all, first post here. I recently picked up a couple of spin reels from Gumtree - A Daiwa, and a Shimano. Both are cosmetically 9/10. Both spin silky smooth and seem totally issue free. The Daiwa had one previous owner and is relatively new I think. It's a Magseal reel. Never been serviced I'm pretty sure. The Shimano is older and a JDM reel judging from the all Japanese language documentation.

My question is, should I have a peak inside? Should I get them serviced? I'm pretty handy with a screw driver and used to regularly service my old Abu 6000 overhead when I was a Yak fisher. That reel got regular saltwater dunkings, but I found it relatively easy to tear down, clean and lube, and put it back together. It's a pretty simple reel though and is still going strong. These spin reels look quite a bit more complex.

My own fishing habits vary from intense activity to weeks and months of no use. I'm an irregular fisho.
Id say Im the same as you mate, I can unfortunately go 4-6 weeks every now and then without getting a fish in then go flat out getting out every weekend at least and even some evenings after work.
A peek wont hurt to ensure theyre not dunked but beyond that I wouldnt bother if they feel smooth.
I have some quality reels up to three years old never serviced they feel smooth as but the cheapies need more love for sure.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:09 PM
Blue Lip

The way the service cost and parts plus postage go I think my school of thought would change in the future.

I used to think that maintaining the reel in tip top condition by sending it to the service (Daiwa) is the way to go.

I have 6 X Daiwa SOLs 2000 pre-magseal. They are a workhorse of a reel and suit my fishing style (99% bream) well.

But after a number of so called services totaling up to $150 a pop I asked myself: "Is it worth it now"?

Instead of servicing a good but still old reel for almost the same price of the brand new mid-range reel I think next time around I just run my SOLs to the ground and buy a brand new Daiwa Gekka or Freams or a Shimano Sahara and use them till they die as a "one time use only" concept.

Better still, might get even a Stradic on sale.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 02-02-2018, 12:23 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt jorg View Post
Id say Im the same as you mate, I can unfortunately go 4-6 weeks every now and then without getting a fish in then go flat out getting out every weekend at least and even some evenings after work.
A peek wont hurt to ensure theyre not dunked but beyond that I wouldnt bother if they feel smooth.
I have some quality reels up to three years old never serviced they feel smooth as but the cheapies need more love for sure.
Will probably have a peek inside the Shimano as it is the older reel. It's a little Stella 1000PGSDH. Does this reel have a service port? The Daiwa (Steez EX3012H) is newer, and being a magseal reel I'm less enthusiastic about opening it up.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:35 AM
Mature Bream

Dont stress about the Mag seal, it can be removed without loosing the oil. You will see it when you remove the rotor (assuming it is still there ). Once you undo the screws or cover plate that hold the magnetised plate in postion just make sure the collar inside the ar bearing comes out with it, this is where the oil is, dont remove the collar or its all over.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:57 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzza View Post
Dont stress about the Mag seal, it can be removed without loosing the oil. You will see it when you remove the rotor (assuming it is still there ). Once you undo the screws or cover plate that hold the magnetised plate in postion just make sure the collar inside the ar bearing comes out with it, this is where the oil is, dont remove the collar or its all over.
Okay, cool, that gives me a bit of confidence. I guess if I flap it up I could send it up to Geneo Kustoms. My local tackle store in Lismore didn't sound keen on servicing Daiwa magseal reels. They'd probably just send it Daiwa in Sydney anyway.

Last edited by Felofasofa; 02-02-2018 at 01:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-02-2018, 04:10 AM
Mature Bream

One of the blokes on here says he makes, or made, his own magseal oil. He might comment

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: