Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Poddy Bream

Outboard support when trailering

I have a 90hp outboard on my boat, will I cause damage to the engine or hydraulics if I dont put a engine support brace on it when trailering at slow speeds for short distances? I do have an engine support but its a bit of a pain to put on and off for a short trip to my local boat ramp which is only a short 5 minute drive from my house (my brace needs to be completely removed from trailer before I can launch boat).
If it is okay to trailer without a support for a short distance should I lower the engine as much as possible (obviously leaving enough clearance so motor doesnt hit the road when going through dips in the road or over speed humps etc)
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Mature Bream

hi markas we too have 90hp on father in laws 5.5m westy

we dont use a support when go to our local ramp approx 10 min drive but longer trips we do on previous boat i had i use to use support all the time

my thinking short trips should b ok but longer trips def

im no guru on this though ive never had any dramas

i use to have support which had a place on trailer had to slip in a groove the support into but the supports with spring loaded end look really good and easy to use by sitting bottom of support on end roller and spring end under leg on outboard extra pre caution we used strap too hold around outboard dont use occy strap yhough they like to eat paint off ur outboard bit of rope fine

Last edited by bp30tr; 08-09-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp30tr View Post
hi markas we too have 90hp on father in laws 5.5m westy

we dont use a support when go to our local ramp approx 10 min drive but longer trips we do on previous boat i had i use to use support all the time

my thinking short trips should b ok but longer trips def

im no guru on this though ive never had any dramas

i use to have support which had a place on trailer had to slip in a groove the support into but the supports with spring loaded end look really good and easy to use by sitting bottom of support on end roller and spring end under leg on outboard extra pre caution we used strap too hold around outboard dont use occy strap yhough they like to eat paint off ur outboard bit of rope fine
Thanks for the reply mate, its much appreciated. Good to hear what others are doing as I wasn't sure if I was doing any damage not using support on short trips... I think ill do like you said, I wont bother with the support when going the 5 minutes to my local ramp but anything longer ill throw the support on.
Cheers.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:15 AM
Blue Lip

Your outboard should have it's own lock system built in for shirt trip use.

For long trips use a seperate outboard support.

www.crankalures.com
Old 11-09-2014, 05:46 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris View Post
Your outboard should have it's own lock system built in for shirt trip use.

For long trips use a seperate outboard support.
Yeh mate it does have a support type clip, but the manual says its not for use when trailering, its meant for when a boat is permanently moored in the water. I think it should still be right though for a trip of less than 5 minutes to my local ramp.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Blue Lip

I'm only 10 minutes from my local ramp, but over some pretty ordinary country road so I prefer to brace mine just to be sure.
Only takes 30 seconds.