Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 03-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
What about asking the optometrists where you bought the glasses as to what to use ? so we can put this to sleep
Some how i get the impression he didn't get them from a optometrist
Old 03-02-2019, 08:25 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
What about asking the optometrists where you bought the glasses as to what to use ? so we can put this to sleep
I came into this question knowing next to nothing about lens wipes - now thanks to all the informative answers from different members, I have a much better understanding of what they do, how they do it and what to look out for.

I've found not all advice from retail staff has the customers best interests at heart. So I like to get independent reviews aswell.

This might be old news to someone who's already been through this process - but for a newb like me - its all very interesting and the replies are much appreciated.

I figure I'm going to be wearing these glasses for the rest of my life - I may aswell get the best way to clean them, right the first time.

Thanks for your help
Old 03-02-2019, 08:48 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco T View Post
Some how i get the impression he didn't get them from a optometrist
Yeah my reading glasses are just those $10 magnifying glasses from the Chemist and My Sunnies were bought online.

But I'm about to get my eyes tested and buy some proper glasses from the optometrist. So the info in this thread will come in handy.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:38 AM
Blue Lip

I've assumed that T-shirts and tissue paper are no no because of existing dirt on the lens that will be rubbed/scratched onto lens when cleaning. This would also affect the lens specific wipes too I would have thought.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:23 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
I've assumed that T-shirts and tissue paper are no no because of existing dirt on the lens that will be rubbed/scratched onto lens when cleaning. This would also affect the lens specific wipes too I would have thought.
Yeah the stuff I'm reading suggests even if there wasnt dust on your lens, the tissue and tshirt are rough enough by themselves to act like sand paper over time.

Some suggest the only proper way is with soap and water and pat dry with paper tissue

The lens wipes usually claim to be made from "High quality micro-fine tissue"

Last edited by yellow door 1; 04-02-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:28 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 966.jpg (106.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-02-2019, 06:54 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

News Update - a mate just lent me his "Spec Savers Lens Bright" spray.

My first impression were - this stuff is absolute junk - it left my glasses more misty than they were before I cleaned them. It was so bad that I suspected something else was the problem.

Turns out the micro fibre cloth he uses was filthy - and thats what left the streaks. I reapplied the spray and used paper tissue to wipe it off and it worked fine.

Smells just like windex

How to clean your micro-fiber eyeglass cloth

Without water. Simply shake out the dust and dirt.
Wash by hand. Use cold water. Add a few drops of mild soap that is bleach free and which does not contain fabric softener. ...
Wash in a washing machine. Use bleach free detergent, and it should be free from fabric softener. Let the cloth air dry when finished.

Wash the cloth once a week

Jul 10, 2017
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72.jpg (37.9 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 05-02-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:19 PM
Big Bream

You need to trim tour nails

And can i ask what you use to keep your hands looking so soft ??
Old 05-02-2019, 07:47 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbrimin View Post
You need to trim tour nails

And can i ask what you use to keep your hands looking so soft ??
Twice daily application of tuna oil and I keep my nails in check with Blue Berkley Braid Scissors
Old 08-02-2019, 05:47 AM
Mature Bream

All lenses, Spectacle, Camera, Binocular, Phone, Sounder Screens , lap top, computer , you name it. All collect airborne dust. Add to this sweat, oily skin, salt crystals from salt water. Wiping these surfaces with any dry tissue or cloth will damage the surface, Glass is far more resistant, until you put a coating on it ! Some are softer than glass. Cr39 lenses, ( plastic ) scratches much easier than glass, Most cr39 lenses these days have a hard coating put on them to help, and it does. Polycarbonate lenses all come with a hard coat as polycarbonate scratches very easily. Glass in spectacle lenses is obsolete now, It is not as safe as cr39 or polycarb breakage wise, Impact resistant. BUT polarised glass is laminated and much safer !!! Cr39 and polycarb are 1/3 the weight also, much more comfortable. SO dry wiping is out !!!!! As I have said, the best is Cold Soapy water and a tissue. The water washes the abrasive dust off , ths soap removes any oily skin residue, and the tissue dries it. But you cant wash your binoculars, camera, lar top. Thats where the lens wipes are good, or if soapy water isn't convenient. I have used Zeiss and Specsavers, Both work well, but the Zeiss being " Alcohol " based, dries too quickly in hot weather. The " soapy " specsavers is my preference.
The other major destroyer of Sunglass and Spectacle lenses is HEAT, And it doesn't take a lot. Left in direct sunlight on an aluminium boat, or ANYWHERE in a hot car can damage the lenses!!!!!!!.There is a small amount of pressure to hold the lenses in a frame. enough to warp the lenses if they get hot. The hard coat I spoke of can craze, orange peel effect. Especially Polycarbonate lenses.Th expensive Multicoat, which removes reflections from the lens surface making it clearer to see through, Will craze. Any thing else you want to know ?? Howard.

Last edited by bluefin; 08-02-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Mature Bream

I think you covered it Howard, better get some personal tuition i am a shocker on the sunglasses front.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:38 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Outstanding work Howard - I reckon we might be able to finally pull the doona over this one and kiss it good night........as long as the Doona is made from Micro-fibre cloth
Old 10-02-2019, 05:19 AM
Blue Lip

Nice wrap up bluefin
Old 10-02-2019, 11:56 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
All lenses, Spectacle, Camera, Binocular, Phone, Sounder Screens , lap top, computer , you name it. All collect airborne dust. Add to this sweat, oily skin, salt crystals from salt water. Wiping these surfaces with any dry tissue or cloth will damage the surface, Glass is far more resistant, until you put a coating on it ! Some are softer than glass. Cr39 lenses, ( plastic ) scratches much easier than glass, Most cr39 lenses these days have a hard coating put on them to help, and it does. Polycarbonate lenses all come with a hard coat as polycarbonate scratches very easily. Glass in spectacle lenses is obsolete now, It is not as safe as cr39 or polycarb breakage wise, Impact resistant. BUT polarised glass is laminated and much safer !!! Cr39 and polycarb are 1/3 the weight also, much more comfortable. SO dry wiping is out !!!!! As I have said, the best is Cold Soapy water and a tissue. The water washes the abrasive dust off , ths soap removes any oily skin residue, and the tissue dries it. But you cant wash your binoculars, camera, lar top. Thats where the lens wipes are good, or if soapy water isn't convenient. I have used Zeiss and Specsavers, Both work well, but the Zeiss being " Alcohol " based, dries too quickly in hot weather. The " soapy " specsavers is my preference.
The other major destroyer of Sunglass and Spectacle lenses is HEAT, And it doesn't take a lot. Left in direct sunlight on an aluminium boat, or ANYWHERE in a hot car can damage the lenses!!!!!!!.There is a small amount of pressure to hold the lenses in a frame. enough to warp the lenses if they get hot. The hard coat I spoke of can craze, orange peel effect. Especially Polycarbonate lenses.Th expensive Multicoat, which removes reflections from the lens surface making it clearer to see through, Will craze. Any thing else you want to know ?? Howard.
This is how you provide proper advise, and everything checks out logically/scientifically and leave no questions unanswered! Cheers for this!!!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:30 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I tried the Peeps - they're a good back up for field work but I wouldnt have them as my first weapon against finger grease.

As Cortinaboy stated - its a pretty slow process compared to others and you may have to do multiple passes to get rid of the filth. Could be some driver error involved but its still going to be slow

Lens cloth and spray hasnt been fool proof either - quite often takes a second pass to get rid of spots.

So far the best method is dishwashing liquid under running water. Quick and fool proof and does the best job - but I still have to get my hands on some single use wipes before I can make my final judgement on what works best for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: