Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:02 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

Question Sunglasses - what've you got, what do you recommend??

After losing my $400 Maui Jims overboard (that's them in my avatar - at least I've got the memory)I've now got a pair of the 'Polaroid' fishing sunnies with the amber lenses.

They're pretty good but not a patch on the Maui's - not that I expected them to be.

I may be getting another pair of Maui Jims again fairly soon (What do you want for Christmas Dave?? - A gift voucher from Sunglass Hutt would be great thanks champ ) but wanted to know everyones thoughts on what's the best, or their favorites.

So what do 'ya reckon??

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member

Last edited by Dave W; 11-12-2002 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:10 AM
Poddy Bream

Best sunnies i have ever had and still have and use are Spotters hurricane photochromic sunnies with the brown lenses. I am yet to find a comparable pair to these. The lenses are a glass and very resitant to scratching. i have had my pair for 6 yrs now and although they are faded and a bit daggy looking now they have still got the best vision for fishing. I think 1 scratch in 6 yrs for fishing glasses is outstanding.

you can see them here:
http://www.spotters.com.au/product_frameset.html#

Tony

Last edited by mangajack; 11-12-2002 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:26 AM
Mature Bream

Dave

I have two pair. The RayBans wrap arounds I use everyday, and a pair of Serengeti's that I keep for special occasions.

I like the RayBans because they aren't too dark, keep glare to just about zero, and only cost me $85 in a sale.

I also make sure I attach a $2.50 strap to them when I go fishing....for around my neck. Good insurance.

Kevin
Old 11-12-2002, 10:32 AM
Web Master

Firstly, any polaroid fishing glasses are better than none at all. If anyone is still fishing without glasses, they don't know what they're missing.

Secondly, the new Spotters photochromatic penetrator gold lens is awesome. They might be $200+ but from what I've seen of them they rock...

That being said, I still use the Jarvis Walker plastic lenses that we sell in the online store. For $50 they do a reasonably good job.

Warren.

Old 11-12-2002, 06:59 PM
Poddy Bream

Hey Dave,

I recently picked up a pair of the Spotters photochromatic bronze penetrator, glass lens with the Tremor frame and must say it was one the best decisions I've made.

They cut out all glare and highlight shades of reds which I was told are a promident colour in a seabirds retina, which helps them to penetrate the water when soaring above in search for food.
True or not they are an awsome set of sunnies and I've seen alot more action under the water since buying these.

I've had cheaper polaroids, but after using these they just dont come close.
Dearest pair of sunnies I've ever had but by far the best I've come across.
Scored mine for under $200 aswell.

Davo
Old 11-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Poddy Bream

I have Fish Polarised sunglasses- cost about the same as the Jarvis Walkers.

Maybe my eyes are so bad that I really can't tell the difference, but after trying an expensive pair and then using the Fish ones, I really couldn't justify to myself that it's worth paying big bucks for sunglasses. The test was done while I was on the water too - so the conditions were the same for both pair.

I lose them often enough now, so watching $$$ float away isn't my idea of fun - LOL.

Michael
Old 12-12-2002, 02:30 AM
Fishing Tragic

I envy you guys that can buy off the shelf. Unfortunately I need prescription glasses.

I you're like me then I would look at getting titanium frames. I have then on in my avatar and they are light and very flexible as well as non-rusting. Not cheap though, but worth the purchase.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 13-12-2002, 12:23 AM
The Angry Administrator

Dave,

Get a pair of the new spotters, at $250 odd are a bargain compared to your last pair, and as Warren said they are supposed to be Awesome - been heaps of rave reviews..... Im getting very close to justifying the purchase of a pair for myself..

Cheers

Richo

Old 13-12-2002, 01:19 AM
Big Bream

I have 2 pairs but the ones I use most of the time are Bolle Blue Venoms. I bought them as a spare pair if anything happened to my Carreras sports but found the Bolle's more comfortable & do a better job at half the price.
Old 13-12-2002, 04:38 AM
Fingerling

Dave,

Following the bagwaggon the Spotters are a great buy! I have had mine for about a year now and they a great. I have the photochromatic penetrator gold lens and you can't even tell you have them on! They're so clear and with the added bonus of photochromatic lens -gets darker when the sunlight is getting brighter (vise-versa). Another good thing with the spotters are they that they are Australian made and owned and that unlike many other brands they have some fashionable frames. (who siad you don't have to look good when fishing )

Pm me and i'll let you know where i got mine from! They were $30-40 cheaper than anywhere else (that's almost 4 packs of softies Dave! We all know how much you love softies)

Marc
Old 13-12-2002, 05:35 AM
Fingerling

I have 2 pairs, Mako and Spotters penetrators. The Penetartors are the better of the two, the Mako's are just too dark sometimes whereas the Penetrators are always just right.
Old 14-12-2002, 12:10 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

I busted the arm off the 'Polaroids' last night so I'm looking seriously now.

After having a good look at where they broke, I reckon it's a ****house design - only got them 2 weeks ago as well, and I can't take them back because I bought them in Condobolin - 5 hours away.

I'll definitely look into the Spotters (no pun intended )

get it... look into the Spotters... he he he he

At least I keep myself amused

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 14-12-2002, 05:18 AM
Poddy Bream

Thumbs up

Wise choice Dave big thumbs up there!!!
I was surprised so many of us fishos using spotters tho gotta be something in that i reckon. Plus for driving glasses they are excellent too esp when you are driving into the sun morning or late afternoon. The sun just isnt painful to your eyes.

Tony.
Old 15-12-2002, 08:28 PM
The Angry Administrator

I was close before now Im convinced, mmmm better join frequent flyers I think. Warren your not thinking of getting these in are you??

CHeers

Richo
Old 15-12-2002, 09:25 PM
Fishing Tragic

Some manufacturers will fit prescription lenses, how do we find this out without having to go through the Op?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg