Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:00 AM
Mature Bream

Question Leader length

Can someone please shed some light on the length of leader required for soft plastics and Bream. I am currently using about a metre of Vanish 4pd but with the knot I use to join leader to mainline (Fireline) I find it does not slip through the guides as I would like. Am I better using a shorter leader?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:07 AM
Mature Bream

what type of knot are you using to join your leader to your fireline- it might be worth changing that. i cant see by having a shorter length of leader how this would change unless your leader was so short that it never went through your guides when casting. then you are sacrificing accuracy.

i generally fish a leader of about the length of the rod (approx 2m). i use the albright not to connect the leader to the bimini and have no problems with casting.- try it

just a thought
Old 12-01-2003, 07:04 AM
The Angry Administrator

roughly 2-3 metres is always good, allows a few changes before have to redo the leader (at about a metre) which is a double uni knot and I don`t bother tying a double on the fireline - hasn`t failed me yet.

Cheers

Richo
Old 13-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Big Bream

I always use at least 2m otherwise if you get busted off to often your always retying leader material on.

I have tried the albright but find it an awkard not for me to tie so I now always use a double uni knot and clip the ends extremely close to the knot and its never failed me and slips through the eyes with ease. When the join gets near my fingers when I'm casting I know its time to redo the leader.

Jim
Old 13-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Big Bream

i like to use about a rod lenght aswell usually two metres but sometimes i will make it a bit longer incase iam going to be changing lures every so often i use 4 or 6lb siglon tough or stren magnathin i did use vanish but was having a few problems with it
Old 14-01-2003, 04:52 AM
Mature Bream

Smile

Thanks for the advise guys. I use a knot that can be best described as half a grannie and a blood knot. (don't know the name) I always try to finish it off with super glue...just in case.
I have not had a knot fail yet and that is why I am still using Vanish. I tried it in the pool last night with a two metre leader and it works for me. The 4lb Vanish was invisible also....
Bubble.
Old 14-01-2003, 05:18 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

As long as possible - within reason, if it gets too long the Point of using Fireline is lost...

Try 3 meters (and I use an Albright knot - nice and flat )

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 14-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Big Bream

Why not try the double uni knot, the tags can be trimmed to virtually nothing when it is tightened properly and it seems to work well with the fireline and mono mix.