Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Hulls

Hulls Come in here to find info on that next boat you buy…

Old 04-05-2015, 05:39 AM
Mature Bream

Quintrex Hornet 500 advice?

Hi guys, looking into purchasing a 2nd hand Quintrex 500 Hornet with a 115 4 stroke on the back, and was looking into get some secondary opinions.

I will be purchasing as a 2nd boat, as my other boat is a larger deep V hull for offshore and bay fishing.
I want to buy this boat as something I can dig around the flats and structure in estuaries and rivers, most probably with 2-3 people on board.
I will be putting a Minn Kota on the front also.

Few questions I had to ask myself, and need some help answering.
-Is a 500 too big for fishing flats/in and around structure etc? How shallow can that sort of hull go?
-Will the 115hp balance ok?

Any input would be very greatly appreciated, as I want to properly think about my next 'investment'.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2015, 06:14 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs93 View Post
Hi guys, looking into purchasing a 2nd hand Quintrex 500 Hornet with a 115 4 stroke on the back, and was looking into get some secondary opinions.

I will be purchasing as a 2nd boat, as my other boat is a larger deep V hull for offshore and bay fishing.
I want to buy this boat as something I can dig around the flats and structure in estuaries and rivers, most probably with 2-3 people on board.
I will be putting a Minn Kota on the front also.

Few questions I had to ask myself, and need some help answering.
-Is a 500 too big for fishing flats/in and around structure etc? How shallow can that sort of hull go?
-Will the 115hp balance ok?

Any input would be very greatly appreciated, as I want to properly think about my next 'investment'.

Thanks!
IF you are fishing with 3 guys all the time a 500 is good and the shallow draft will still see you fish most flats and shallows.

If you are only fishing 1-2 guys save the money get a smaller hornet with smaller engine save money on fuel and the hull and it will fish even more flats and more shallows.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:51 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
IF you are fishing with 3 guys all the time a 500 is good and the shallow draft will still see you fish most flats and shallows.

If you are only fishing 1-2 guys save the money get a smaller hornet with smaller engine save money on fuel and the hull and it will fish even more flats and more shallows.
Cheers mate!

Any idea on stability of these boats??
Old 04-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post

Cheers mate!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:02 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs93 View Post
Cheers mate!

My lack of love for quintrex has been documented on these forums before but i will concede the hornets are a very tried and tested hull with exceptional stability for their size and a design very focused on estuary and small water anglers.

Just make sure you dont buy one with an e-tec on the back alot of second hand quintrex boats are coming onto the market from around 09-10 with e-tecs which have just come out of warranty i advise against buying these boats.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:54 AM
Poddy Bream

A thorough inspection of the hull for cracked welds would also be recommended
I've got a smaller 3.7m traveller/explorer hull and stability is great, the 5m version would be like a barge!
Good luck
Old 05-05-2015, 07:25 AM
Mature Bream

I have a 2 year old 5 mt with a 115 4st merc.

Can't fault it, very stable and gets into skinny water no worries. I fish the Murray river and creeks.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Blue Lip

It'll go well with the 115 but still get you into the shallows. Will be very stable also.

Which motor is on it? As mentioned get everything checked out.

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 05-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Mature Bream

I'm not a huge Quintrex fan but the 5m Hornet is a pretty good boat. Just like to chime in about the e-tec haters, I've had one that I loved and will probably upgrade my current motor to one eventually too.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoshoes View Post
I'm not a huge Quintrex fan but the 5m Hornet is a pretty good boat. Just like to chime in about the e-tec haters, I've had one that I loved and will probably upgrade my current motor to one eventually too.
I was more concerned about the influx of e-tecs on the second hand market all freshly out of warranty. Which were packaged to quintrex boats roughly 5 years ago.

(i didnt mention that all 5 of the boat mechanics i consulted with before buying my recent small boat either refused to work on e-tecs or reported they were horrible )