Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Blue Lip

What is it about the SAMURAI?

I've noticed that LOTS of people are getting the Samurai rods. Hell I've wanted one for a while. They look good, they've got good components and apparently good blanks too. What has me stumped is just how many people are getting them. Not so long ago they were mainly with the serious tackle junkies and tournament guys, now every second breamer has one. Did the $50 price drop make them that much more affordable? What happened to the times when you gradually moved up to the better gear? I've heard of guys jumping from $100 rods to them. Not complaining (except I wont be as cool when I get one :P), just curious.
Old 14-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Big Bream

Get a custom build rod mate, they will sh*t all-over the samurais and make you look cooler aswell, haha.
Old 14-06-2011, 05:57 AM
Blue Lip

I have one and love it. Great all round rod. Casts awesome as well. Super light and they look pretty cool too.

I rekon jumping to a high quality rod like this is a hard choice but I wish I did it sooner and once you do you won't ever go back!
Old 14-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Mature Bream

cant you buy samurai rod making kits for around $150. So there you go a cheap rod that you make yourself,lol. Cheers Gav.
Old 14-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Big Bream

[QUOTE=I rekon jumping to a high quality rod like this is a hard choice but I wish I did it sooner and once you do you won't ever go back![/QUOTE]

+1. i love the higher end stuff
Old 14-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Blue Lip

Yeah mate samurais are an awesome rod, perfect tapers to do what they were designed for, really sensitive. Probably my fav rods of all time love mine and wish I could afford more.
I think the reason so many people have them now is because there tried and tested now and people know how good they really are, where as before they were kind of an unknown being a newish brand.
Cheers stealth
Old 14-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bream2nv View Post
Get a custom build rod mate, they will sh*t all-over the samurais and make you look cooler aswell, haha.
Hard to get a custom with the same level of components/blank for less than $450 but I would if I could.

Also I've heard rumours of 2pc versions of the 201 and 203 coming out. Any more news? Also which has the stiffest tip out of all the bream models?
Cheers guys.
Old 14-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Blue Lip

Never used the 101. But the 201 is designed primarily for plastics super fast taper, whippy in the tip for little flicks etc.. I found that the tip would fold away before moving most hb's. And the 203 primarily for hb a bit stiffer in the tip.
And as for customs crapping on samurais, I highly doubt it, they may or may not be better but crap on them is a fairly large statement to make.
Old 14-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Blue Lip

The other big thing to remember is that hey have the 30% replacement warranty, like G Loomis used to have before Shimano took them over. I think the quality of the blanks is very good and had a 203 custom built be hotrods before he vaporised . Nice rod a bit sofrt for me and will be getting a 201 as some point for my HB's fishing.
Dale.
Old 14-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Blue Lip

They have a cool name
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrally View Post
The other big thing to remember is that hey have the 30% replacement warranty, like G Loomis used to have before Shimano took them over. I think the quality of the blanks is very good and had a 203 custom built be hotrods before he vaporised . Nice rod a bit sofrt for me and will be getting a 201 as some point for my HB's fishing.
Dale.
Yeah I really like the sound of that warranty. Wish I had got a hotrod before he went awol. I prefer stiffer rods too, got a Luvias for the plastics but most of my fishing is with HB's thanks to Perth's iconic blowfish
So can anyone report on the 101? Would really fit what I'm looking for if it is fairly stiff in the tip. Cheers.
Big Bream

To sum it up in one word.........Quality !!!
Old 14-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Big Bream

Ive got one for sale Echo.... Might do you a good deal
PM me.
Paul
Old 14-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Big Bream

Yep, I have two Samurai's now, I have the 101 which I use with a Steez RCS/2506 as a hb rod for casting the flats or a long long way up a canal.
I mainly throw small Maria cranks or Jackall chubbies, perfect for that! IMO it's too soft for plastics, others may disagree. The other rod is the B382, it's a 5'6 baitcaster, 12-16lb, the perfect little creek rod to go bassin with

Custom rods a very cool if you get what you asked for, there are some great rod builders out there, and a few clowns I think the price puts most custom builds out of the reach of everyday Joe Blow, I guess that's why they are so special to those who have them. The Samurai's have great build quality and the components are 2nd to none. Mate TW in Brisbane have the full range and I think any order over $120 gets free postage.

Shane
Old 14-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Never used the 101. But the 201 is designed primarily for plastics super fast taper, whippy in the tip for little flicks etc.. I found that the tip would fold away before moving most hb's. And the 203 primarily for hb a bit stiffer in the tip.
And as for customs crapping on samurais, I highly doubt it, they may or may not be better but crap on them is a fairly large statement to make.
I love my 201 for hardbodies, great little rod!

Cheers