Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Cameras and Accessories

Cameras and Accessories What Camera to Buy be it Big or Small and What to Get With it.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 04:59 AM
Big Bream

Which GO PRO? Or sony action cam?

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new video camera, and was wondering which you guys recommend and why?

After looking at the Go Pro website, there are three models - the white, silver and black. Looking at it, it's easy to assume that the black is the best model.

Why are these the best? Does anyone have one and love it, or hate it?

Hit me with your opinions.

Todd

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

www.facebook.com/toddrichesfishing
Old 27-05-2014, 05:16 AM
SLAZMO

Just quickly before I sign off today, I looked into the Sony... A lot of nitty gritty reviews have pointed out some really good lacking points of the Sony action cam. Especially the housing, the optics of the camera are good but most people need the housing.

Another thing with Sony is that its not as adaptable in wearing it - it is very awkward to mount other than on your head and even the guy at Harvey Norman was protesting about its purchase.

Which moved me onto Contour, who's defunct at the moment 'Bankrupt' and it may seem that it could restart again. A thing is that its hard to mount like the Sony and has limited attachments.

Not being a brand whore with GoPro but it seems that even for its own lacking elements that it is the easiest to use, easiest to mount and has the easiest overall package.

Google some of the reviews.

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/sony-action-cam/

http://www.engadget.com/products/sony/action-cam/

This is the new model - which has had a lukewarm welcoming.

http://www.videopro.com.au/p-7394-so...FZYGvAodYHYAig
Old 27-05-2014, 05:51 AM
Mature Bream

I bought a GoPro 3+ black around christmas time. I looked at the sony but liked the look of the GoPro more and felt it was just better for what i wanted. Only went the Black over the others because i wanted the best available at the time.

They're easy enough to use and take some sick footage. Also you can get cheap as mounts off ebay which is handy.

You can't really go wrong with the go pro.
Old 27-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Mature Bream

have a look at shimano's new action camera. Smaller than the go pro and you don't need underwater housing for the first 10 meters of the water column. I don't think they've been released yet but they look the goods.
Old 27-05-2014, 06:41 AM
Big Bream

Am I right in saying that both the black and the silver can be controlled like a remote with your iPhone?

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

Old 27-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthedrop86 View Post
Am I right in saying that both the black and the silver can be controlled like a remote with your iPhone?
It has to have the wifi feature, so yeah it should. Handy thing about the black is that it comes with a remote that costs $120 iirc.
Old 27-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pies1010 View Post
It has to have the wifi feature, so yeah it should. Handy thing about the black is that it comes with a remote that costs $120 iirc.
Sweet! How much running time do you get with these?

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

Old 27-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Sweet! How much running time do you get with these?
Yeah a few hours, the go pro definitely runs out of juice first!
Old 27-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Yeah a few hours, the go pro definitely runs out of juice first!
Sweet. I'm keen on one, what I'm worried about is the audio as I'm keen to do a few talking vids. What's the audio like on yours?

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

Old 27-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Sweet. I'm keen on one, what I'm worried about is the audio as I'm keen to do a few talking vids. What's the audio like on yours?
the water proof casing muffles it a bit, but it's still pretty good for vocals. Try check out some videos filmed with the model you want to get a better idea
Old 27-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
the water proof casing muffles it a bit, but it's still pretty good for vocals. Try check out some videos filmed with the model you want to get a better idea
Sweet! Thanks mate!!

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

Old 27-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Poddy Bream

I own the older model Sony action cam, although the mounting orientation can sometimes be pretty awkward, the image quality has been pretty good. I think the newer action cams have better features but if I had to buy another one I would probably go the GoPro.
Old 27-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Mature Bream

Go pro just for added accessories if you want to mount if somewhere there is pretty much a mount already made to do it and cheap off fleabay. Havent had much experience with any other camera. ... I generally dont use the wifi remote much. only for taking photos when mounted somewhere extreme... in terms of picture quality.... I know iv never shot anything higher than 1080 and I know most people are the same... so I have a black... but now I have wifi remote etc when I get more than one all subsequent cameras will be silver as still controllable with the same remote etc.... you learn when you have one that two would be nice just to get different angle at the same time and then hey why not get three for the rod mounted camera etc... now im just ranting.... have fun
Old 27-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Mature Bream

I "had" the black HD Hero 3 and it was unbelievable. Bought mine in Germany and used it on my travels and the picture quality is ridiculously impressive.

I hardly used the remote although it's handy when taking a selfie fishing. The only thing I used the wifi phone app for was to look through the pictures on the drive home or show friends the photos without hooking it upto a computer. They really suck the juice when wifi is enabled.

Unfortunately I accidentally threw mine out cleaning the house, but I will be replacing it quite soon with a Black 3+. I'll upload some video and image quality when I get home if you like

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: