Go Back   Bream Master Forums > All Things Camping > How to Cook, What to Cook

How to Cook, What to Cook BBQ/stove, gas/power, steak/fish you need to keep your strength up.

Old 27-06-2013, 05:19 AM
Mature Bream

Stove review. Jetboil flash

I recently spent a couple of nights camping and a couple of days fishing at Scamander with Mark.
Mark had a "Jetboil", and I was most impressed by it.
So impressed that I bought one.

I got the "Flash" model from US ebay for just under $100 delivered.
Now I can have hot coffee (or packet soup, or dehydrated food) in minutes when I'm out fishing on the 'yak.
I haven't used it aboard the kayak yet, rather I've gone ashore to stretch the legs, empty the bladder, and make a cuppa.
In future I plan something to make it secure on the 'yak (maybe just some velcro) so I don't even have to go ashore.

Pics:
Packed away.

All the bits.

Fits other manufacturers bigger gas bottles. Cheaper, but they don't pack away inside the unit for ultimate portability. Great for basecamp though.

It comes with a support for "any" pot or pan (within recommended maximum sizes)

My verdict, after only a short time with this stove:

The good:
-It packs up quite compact and lightweight. The whole thing, including the gas bottle, fit inside the 1 litre (approx) "cup" that is what you heat the water in.
-It boils 500mL (or less) of water - FAST! Seriously, turn it on, put sugar coffee and milk into cup - water is just about ready! With a fresh canister, in non-freezing (albeit cool) conditions, it boils enough for one cup in under a minute. If you fill to the 500mL (maximum) line it takes under a minute and a half.
-Uses very little gas per boil. With the small Jetboil cannister you can boil about 12 litres. Thats 24 x 500ml, or (I'm guessing) almost 50 (250mL) cups of coffee for about $8. The bigger gas bottles are even cheaper. Considerably so.
-The piezo igniter works well, first or second time every time so far.
-The control dial is easy to use, even when wearing gloves.
-Can use "normal" cookware (within size limits) but this will be with reduced efficiency.

The bad:
-Additional fry pan etc. are quite expensive.
-It's difficult to wee on a kayak wearing waders. Ensure you have a safe place to land when your bladder reaches maximum operational capacity!
-The flame control is more like an on/off switch. Difficult to turn down to a simmer without it going out. This is really a great boiler, not a great simmerer / cooker.
-As per above - I haven't tried cooking with a pan on it, but have been told by my mate Mark (He's a chef) that it's great for boiling or burning. No good for frying.
-It boils water FAST! So fast you may end up finding yourself making the morning coffees for all of your mates as well!

Other:
-It's aluminium, so rust shouldn't be a big problem. (Ti versions are available for more $)
-Seems well made. Everything just fits together well.
-Gas is widely available at any decent camping store.
-The stove and boiler heat up quickly and you shouldn't touch hot parts, but due to it's lightweight construction it also cools down quickly so only takes about a minute into your coffee before it is cool enough to safely disassemble and pack away.

I purchased mine for heating water. No intention to cook on it, other than to use it to boil water to add to packet soup or dehydrated food packs. Perfect for this. Would I buy it again? Yes!
Old 27-06-2013, 05:42 AM
Blue Lip

Have to agree with all of that
I love mine, great piece if kit
Highly recommended
Old 27-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Blue Lip

Great review mate.

Thanks for taking the time to write it, would have taken a while.

Was considering buying one, but now i know its ethier max or no heat then i might give it a miss.

How long does it take to set up from its travel form ?

Australian Designed and Owned
Old 27-06-2013, 06:14 AM
Blue Lip

about 20 seconds, cant beat it for fast boiling
cooking, well it's hard to beat a trangia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeye View Post
Great review mate.

Thanks for taking the time to write it, would have taken a while.

Was considering buying one, but now i know its ethier max or no heat then i might give it a miss.

How long does it take to set up from its travel form ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: