Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 04:11 AM
Blue Lip

vhard is good stuff, i,ve tried fc rock but prefer vhard, but each to their own.
i dont care if it cost more , its the best
Old 15-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Poddy Bream

Hey Guys,
The major difference between the two is that FC comes in Two grades ,High Grade often thinner for breaking strains , and standard grade.
Fc Rock uses a Standard grade that is more forgiving with a little more shock and is our best seller because of Quality and price.
V-Hard uses the highest grade of FC , and is made in three stages starting with a core line and then coating the core with external layers for less heat transfer when knotting and better abrasion resistance.
Test have shown , with correct knotting you can achive up to 30% more knot strength with V-Hard.
In the lighter breaking strains though, it will tend to be more prone to shock because of it hardness , so you need to cater for it with lighter drag settings and softer action rods.

Hope this helps
Old 15-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Mature Bream

I use both, but now I use almost always the V-Hard in 3lb, 4, 5 and 7 so far. I find that if I use a lighter V-Hard leader, it casts much better and is a lot stronger than the FC Rock in both knot strength and abrasion, but the FC Rock is a more supple line. For Bream I usually don't go above the 5lb despite using either 8lb or 10lb main. FC Rock is probably 90% as good as V-Hard, so I guess it's better value, but sometimes that extra 10% or so is needed. 50m lasts a while and I usually find by the time I get down to the bottom 50m of my FC Rock spool, it's not as "fresh" anyway (salt getting onto the line and being bashed around, etc). Each to their own, but the 3lb V-Hard is still my favorite. The 7 I find a little stiff for my own preferance, but is needed sometimes..

Proudly working for Compleat Angler and Camping World in Nedlands and sponsored by Compleat Angler Nedlands and Tairyo rods!
Old 15-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Big Bream

i use both, love the vhard for my breaming with $$$ jap lures, fc rock or nitlon for my trevs and jewies.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: