Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 16-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Mature Bream

so all these knots are better than the double uni i have been using?
its pretty fast to tie
Old 16-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddo View Post
so all these knots are better than the double uni i have been using?
its pretty fast to tie
Siddo I started using the double uni when I first started using braid, its easy to tie and you can knock one up quickly when your out on the water, however It is a very bulky knot and I had it fail on me on several occasions. Therefore I moved to a Albright which served me well for a few years. Now I have moved on to the slim beauty which as I stated earlier is thinner and stronger then both the albright and double uni. I would suggest watching a few videos online of various knots and finding one that you can tie quickly (with a bit of practice)!
Old 16-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Blue Lip

My bream rod has micro guides on it and I run 6lb leader right up to 12 lb leader,and have never had a issue with 8lb,10lb or 12lb leader catching up on the guides! And the knot I use is the good old double uni,I do four turns in my fluro leader and 8 turns in my braid,and not once have I ever had any problems with the leader knot catching up on the guides!
Old 16-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Mature Bream

The trick also is to not have the knot where the leader joins on the spool, the weight of it coming off the spool throws the line further out and increases the chances of catching the guides... I find so long as wen I'm casting I'm holding the braid in my finger and not the leader it doesn't catch.
Old 16-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton View Post
My bream rod has micro guides on it and I run 6lb leader right up to 12 lb leader,and have never had a issue with 8lb,10lb or 12lb leader catching up on the guides! And the knot I use is the good old double uni,I do four turns in my fluro leader and 8 turns in my braid,and not once have I ever had any problems with the leader knot catching up on the guides!
What rod?
Old 16-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfinfisho View Post
What rod?

Samaki K2 4-8lb
Old 16-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Mature Bream

Sloppy is on the money! Keep the knot off the spool as best you can. I discovered this in Tassie while fishing really long light leaders and suddenly my line kept looping and birdsnesting. I thought it was the new line i was using but once I got the knot of the spool, suddenly, its some of the best line I've used.
Old 16-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton View Post
My micros love 4lb -3lb ... No worries ... They didn't love 6 .. But I run long , long leaders and the knots always on the spool. Shortened it up and was ok..

Now I'm hooked on GT's it forced me to learn FG knot ... Now I just use it for everything ....

Any light stuff 4lb> double uni is fine mate ... Anything else FG !! FG breaks at nearly 100% ( some one correct me ) !!
Old 16-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymcclure View Post
My micros love 4lb -3lb ... No worries ... They didn't love 6 .. But I run long , long leaders and the knots always on the spool. Shortened it up and was ok..

Now I'm hooked on GT's it forced me to learn FG knot ... Now I just use it for everything ....

Any light stuff 4lb> double uni is fine mate ... Anything else FG !! FG breaks at nearly 100% ( some one correct me ) !!
Nice might have to try the FG knot.

The double uni has always been a quick and easy knot to tie expecially when Im out fishing,so have always stuck with it,did run the slim beauty for a bit but had troubles with it.The only time I had dramas with the double uni was when I was doing alot more turns in the knot,and now that I have cut back in the amount of turns it has been good to me,havent had it pop at the knot yet.

My leaders arnt to long maybe 1.5m, so my knots dont sit on the spool.
Old 17-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Mature Bream

Improved slim beauty is genius!
Old 17-04-2013, 02:11 AM
Poddy Bream

Thanks for the help everybody. I have been doing the improved slim beauty now and finding it to be super small and well i can't break it when i put a lot of force on it so thats good. The only difference with the improved is that you feed the line back through another loop at the end in between the double overhand knot made in the leader.

Might have to try this FC knot, sounds like it is pretty decent...??
Old 17-04-2013, 02:31 AM
Blue Lip

Yer mate thats the only difference

I only asked sexton because there's no way the micro guides on my steez amraam would accept a 12lb leader wouldn't even work with 8lb I have used 4lb with no drams what so ever and tried 6lb the other day coz I was losing too many lures to bream around pylons and the 6lb worked perfectly also even though yhe rod is rated at 2-5lb I reckon youd be blown away by the size the these micros thanks to the slim beauty
Old 17-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Blue Lip

Yer mate thats the only difference

I only asked sexton because there's no way the micro guides on my steez amraam would accept a 12lb leader wouldn't even work with 8lb I have used 4lb with no drams what so ever and tried 6lb the other day coz lately ive been losing too many lures to bream around pylons and the 6lb worked perfectly even though the rod is rated at 2-5lb
Old 17-04-2013, 03:45 AM
Mature Bream

Having never used the gt knot, I just wonder if 2-3lb fluro will survive the cut-in effect from the braid. Or gt is used for bigger lines?
Old 17-04-2013, 03:59 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Having never used the gt knot, I just wonder if 2-3lb fluro will survive the cut-in effect from the braid. Or gt is used for bigger lines?
Carl Jocumsen can tie it in 2lb .. ha ha if he uses it.. must be good