Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Freshwater > General

General Where's Hot, What's the Goss

Old 19-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Mature Bream

Carp on Gulp? A Local Eradication Attempt

Hi all,

A small creek near me is home to a number of Native freshwater species. Unfortunately, carp were introduced around 10 years ago and for the past 6 or so I've been trying to remove as many as possible. As the creek is small and clear, I believe I can reasonable accurately estimate about 10 individuals remain.

I've removed more than 50 fish from the waterway with the vast majority of them falling to a single kernel of sweet corn on the bottom, weightless. Unfortunately the remaining fish seem to either understand the risk of eating this corn or are simply not interested as they swim right past my presentations without altering their course at all. Same for bread, various dough mixes and marshmallows (my other successful baits at this locality in the past).

As the creek is so small, there is very limited space for fly casting. The remaining fish will breed faster than than I can catch them by waiting at the one suitable casting flat.

Despite watching and attempting to replicate YellowDoors soft plastic techniques, I'm yet to receive any interest in my local from the carp. Bass, freshwater herring and coxs gudgeon were caught though.

So I'm now hoping that a Gulp Crabby worked extremely slowly accross the bottom may help me with these last few fish whilst avoiding bicatch.

Does anybody else have some reccomendations?
Old 19-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Mature Bream

1-2 sweet kernels on small hooks is the go to for me.
How about worms? Worm/kernel combo works well sometimes.
You can try smearing kernels with scent. Ive used megastrike crawfish with success.
Tried berley? A heavy berley 2 days before fishing will fire them right up. bread/chook pellets and creamed corn seems to do the trick.
Old 20-11-2017, 01:51 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joely View Post

Despite watching and attempting to replicate YellowDoors soft plastic techniques, I'm yet to receive any interest in my local from the carp. Bass, freshwater herring and coxs gudgeon were caught though.

So I'm now hoping that a Gulp Crabby worked extremely slowly accross the bottom may help me with these last few fish whilst avoiding bicatch.

Does anybody else have some reccomendations?
If only spears were legal in fresh water, I may have had another technique for you

Old 20-11-2017, 03:19 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2020 View Post
Tried berley? A heavy berley 2 days before fishing will fire them right up. bread/chook pellets and creamed corn seems to do the trick.
Good call - if you have flighty fish - you might have to gain their trust by not actually fishing for them.

The English often burley a spot for a week before they fish it - some of them go even further

When these blokes arent climbing trees and shooting baits out of blow pipes - They're building scare crows so the fish get used to a human shape on the bank where they pre burley

Old 20-11-2017, 03:19 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Good call - if you have flighty fish - you might have to gain their trust by not actually fishing for them.

The English often burley a spot for a week before they fish it - some of them go even further

When these blokes arent climbing trees and shooting baits out of blow pipes - They're building scare-crows so the fish get used to a human shape on the bank where they pre burley

Old 20-11-2017, 02:10 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

When I go fishing with my little cousin I use corn

But it has to be Edgells Super Sweet Corn.

I'll occasionally burley the spot the night before - but if I cant - I'm teaching him the importance of not throwing your baits in straight away into a shallow clear creek.

We burley a couple of spots with corn, then wait 20 mins before going near the spot again. You need to let the carp get confident and competitive before introducing your bait. Because if you fish too early - the carp havent fully fired up. And if they brush into you line or you catch one straight away - the school is much more likely to spook

Then we sneak in like Ninjas (no stomping around and dont approach if the carp are looking your way), use trees and bushes to hide behind and definitely dont cast while the fish are looking our way.

Shallow clear creek carp need to be treated more carefully than carp from deeper murky water

As this video shows - we are sitting up amoungst the bushes and staying low until the fish takes the bait. And this is why you burley at least 2 spots - the commotion may shut the fish down in that spot for a while

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8176.jpg (296.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 20-11-2017, 02:20 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

And dusk is always a good time to try for them.

P.s. they're a good saltwater bait aswell.

Old 20-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Mature Bream

+1 for edgells super sweet.

I wouldn't mind trying these gulp kernel replicas but they seem to be only avail oseas:

001n.jpg

I have tried moulding yellow twist powerbait into shape of kernels without success
Old 21-11-2017, 01:39 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
+1 for edgells super sweet.

I wouldn't mind trying these gulp kernel replicas but they seem to be only avail oseas
Yeah the poms soak their corn in treacle to make it super sweet - so edgells super sweet is the next best thing
Old 21-11-2017, 01:41 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
When I go fishing with my little cousin I use corn
But if its a Solo mission - I prefer the plastics

Old 21-11-2017, 06:57 AM
Blue Lip

Try frozen berries...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: