Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Hulls

Hulls Come in here to find info on that next boat you buy…

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Blue Lip

Haines 455 Project Ideas Etc

Hi Bream Masters.

After 2 plus years of research deliberation decisions, not able to find exactly what I wanted in OZ etc etc

I have purchased a Haines 455 Hull as a Project Boat.

In Conjunction with a Boat Builder in East Gippsland the Project is now underway, using the Haines 455 as the starting point.

All the Top Deck will come off and the Transom and all the floor removed giving us a Blank Canvas.

Trying to get the Layout 100% correct at this stage. There are so many options.

I would like a Forward Casting Platform and a Rear Casting platform with a Low Floor Height section in the middle for possible light off shore work i.e. Snapper, Red Emperor , So Basically a Casting Boat with a Offshore Soft Option. This Boat will be used as a Traveling OZ Boat down the track. Will also be fitted with Hydraulic Jack plate so I can get into super shallow areas with ease.

Ive added Few Pics below. 1st is the 455F Hull, 2nd is Where Im headed in design 3rd the under gunnel Rod Storage I found on Net.

Question 1: My biggest Question is getting Rod Storage Correct.

Im wanting Storage for 8 Rods , 2 at least 8ft 6 inchs for Salt water Fly Rods , the rest standard Spin Rods Say 7ft.

The only way I can see of doing that is Under Gunnel Rod Storage with Tubes going under the casting platform etc.

Has anyone seen or have any great Rod Storage ideas that could assist me in getting it correct in a 4.55 Metre Boat

Cheers Nordy

Hurricane Lures Australia

Website www.hurricanelures.com.au

Check Out Our Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hur...79922355413407

Last edited by NORDY; 28-06-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 28-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Blue Lip

These are the ones on the Stacer Assult Pro boats.

Rod locker.jpg
Old 28-06-2015, 11:42 PM
Big Bream

Why did you sell the Skeeter (I think it was) and go for this? I reckon the 445 is a ripper boat, just interested?
Old 29-06-2015, 01:26 AM
Mature Bream

i cant suggest for the storage for the rods, but can for a few other things.

If you are rebuilding from ground up, think about putting an underfloor tank in the middle of the boat for weight balance. But make the fuel tank accessable ie dont seal the floor edencraft/bass strait boats style. I had this discussion with a friend who did this, warned him about glassing over the fuel tanks...he got a fuel leak... a few grand later the floor was cut up and tanks repaired and then not sealed in again (thankfully)

Also build the transom up to suit a XL motor as the old Long transoms dont suit the heavier new motors of today. We have repowered a few haines of that era and the first few we did, sat too low at rest and would take water in the well in bigger seas.

With that, if you plan on modifying the engine well, make sure its big enough to hold the cables etc for the engine you are going to run. Small engine wells can create bad kinks and dramas in the future for control cables, fuel lines and steering cables/hoses.

If it is going to be a Centre console, think about putting in hydraulic steering or making access to the console easy for when the steering cable wears out and needs replacing.

Make sure you get thing built to look good and to be practicle for whoever has to work on the boat! This coming from a marine mechanic who hates poor boat building choices ie hiding batteries, transom mounting fuel filters with self tappers etc. Thinkk carefully about your choices and it will make the use of it so much more enjoyable.

wow, sorry for the wall of text, hope some of that helps.
Old 29-06-2015, 01:36 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy1978 View Post
Why did you sell the Skeeter (I think it was) and go for this? I reckon the 445 is a ripper boat, just interested?
I did not sell the SKEETER never owned a Skeeter.

I own a V20 Legend Bass Style Boat with a 250hp Sho on the back

The V20 is a Awesome Boat don't get me wrong I love it 150%.

But it does not suit a lot of places I like to fish, small shallow systems etc, Plus going Off shore is a no go etc etc.

Im planning to do fair bit of Travelling around Oz in Future years , Bream, Barra, Bass , Permit, Snapper, Red Emperor, Mangrove Jacks, etc etc etc.

The V20 Legend Dosnt suit that. Its a purpose built boat and it does that excellently.

So after a lot of Research, I mean a lot I'm bit full on when deciding what to do.

No one in Oz is Building what I want, Or do it properly IMO.

Ive gone with the Legendary Haines 455 Hull.

To me this Hull seems to be the best hands down in its size class. Can hand rough water it history speaks for itself there, its very stable at rest, its not too big, it draws 1 foot of water , easy to tow, etc etc.

So Hence the Project has Started in conjunction with Local Boat Building Firm, they are super keen on this Project also so that makes it easier.

But getting all the details Correct is where we are at now., Design Design.

Ie: Thinking Mine will be 70 hp Yamy Tiller Steer With Hydraliic Jacking plate.
In the USA Tiller Steers are Huge, they even have 250Hp Tiller Steers LOL They are Hydraulic Assist of Course.

So any ideas at this stage are welcome.

Locked in Ideas so far:

Water Proof Hatches that drain as well, why is this so uncommon in OZ , All Hatches and Rods Lockable, 80 lt Live well, esky, kill tank, Casting Deck Front Back, Small Centre Section for Light Off Shore Work, Rod Locker for 8 Rods, Hookless Carpet,

See Pic Below, Im liking this sort of thing. Note the 130hp Tiller Steer Yeah haaaa. Bit Bigger than 455 though so 70 - 90 hp is what Im thinking.

Cheers Nordy

Last edited by NORDY; 29-06-2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 29-06-2015, 01:50 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg-panelvanman View Post
i cant suggest for the storage for the rods, but can for a few other things.

If you are rebuilding from ground up, think about putting an underfloor tank in the middle of the boat for weight balance. But make the fuel tank accessable ie dont seal the floor edencraft/bass strait boats style. I had this discussion with a friend who did this, warned him about glassing over the fuel tanks...he got a fuel leak... a few grand later the floor was cut up and tanks repaired and then not sealed in again (thankfully)

Awesome idea about making it accessible , was going 80 - 90 ltd under the floor but the access is great idea.

Also build the transom up to suit a XL motor as the old Long transoms dont suit the heavier new motors of today. We have repowered a few haines of that era and the first few we did, sat too low at rest and would take water in the well in bigger seas.

Awesome, Our idea is to put a Jacking Plate on the rear and similar to the Warrior Boat Design. But Ill take that onboard to discuss with Boat Builder.

With that, if you plan on modifying the engine well, make sure its big enough to hold the cables etc for the engine you are going to run. Small engine wells can create bad kinks and dramas in the future for control cables, fuel lines and steering cables/hoses.

Awesome Info Cheers

If it is going to be a Centre console, think about putting in hydraulic steering or making access to the console easy for when the steering cable wears out and needs replacing.

Yes I know what you mean there had UB520 few years back the centre console was night mare to fix anything etc.

Make sure you get thing built to look good and to be practicle for whoever has to work on the boat! This coming from a marine mechanic who hates poor boat building choices ie hiding batteries, transom mounting fuel filters with self tappers etc. Thinkk carefully about your choices and it will make the use of it so much more enjoyable.

Ok Awesome

wow, sorry for the wall of text, hope some of that helps.
No I wrapped ill be printing this to discuss with Boat Builder thats Fantastic feedback Love it Cheers Nordy

Last edited by NORDY; 29-06-2015 at 01:53 AM.
Old 29-06-2015, 02:11 AM
Big Bream

There's a company at coomera on the gold coast jackaroo boats. I'm pretty sure they use the old mold for the Haines hull you have. Was looking at them just the other day. If you look up jackaroo boats may help with some ideas..
Old 29-06-2015, 02:17 AM
Big Bream

If i had a spare 80k for a full fit out a Haines 543SF would be my dream boat i cant think of anything that tops it in australia at the moment.
Old 29-06-2015, 03:59 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoshoes View Post
A little off topic, but the 543SF is a bit wet and bumpy for the price
Really that's the first negative review I've heard from industry and the public.
Old 29-06-2015, 05:09 AM
Mature Bream

Nordy, Google Scott Mitchell Haines 543. He's already done it but slightly bigger. I'm really looking forward to following this thread and seeing what you're doing first hand. I'm convinced, though, that to achieve your aim it would be a lot easier to just buy a Key West 189FS. I'll show you mine when I can convince my wife to work harder so we can afford one as well as the private school fees.
Old 29-06-2015, 05:11 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
If i had a spare 80k for a full fit out a Haines 543SF would be my dream boat i cant think of anything that tops it in australia at the moment.
Yes its not a bad looking Boat, Too Big for what I want.

Lacking Lockable Rod Storage to me very important point, maybe its a option ? .
But for OZ Boat not too bad at all.
Why are the USA Boats just fitted and thought out better.
Im sure we should be able to do the same in OZ
Most OZ Boats the Lockers are not waterproof, that drives me mad seriously.

Cheers Nordy

Old 29-06-2015, 06:04 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORDY View Post
Hi Bream Masters.

After 2 plus years of research deliberation decisions, not able to find exactly what I wanted in OZ etc etc

I have purchased a Haines 455 Hull as a Project Boat.

In Conjunction with a Boat Builder in East Gippsland the Project is now underway, using the Haines 455 as the starting point.

All the Top Deck will come off and the Transom and all the floor removed giving us a Blank Canvas.

Trying to get the Layout 100% correct at this stage. There are so many options.

I would like a Forward Casting Platform and a Rear Casting platform with a Low Floor Height section in the middle for possible light off shore work i.e. Snapper, Red Emperor , So Basically a Casting Boat with a Offshore Soft Option. This Boat will be used as a Traveling OZ Boat down the track. Will also be fitted with Hydraulic Jack plate so I can get into super shallow areas with ease.

Ive added Few Pics below. 1st is the 455F Hull, 2nd is Where Im headed in design 3rd the under gunnel Rod Storage I found on Net.

Question 1: My biggest Question is getting Rod Storage Correct.

Im wanting Storage for 8 Rods , 2 at least 8ft 6 inchs for Salt water Fly Rods , the rest standard Spin Rods Say 7ft.

The only way I can see of doing that is Under Gunnel Rod Storage with Tubes going under the casting platform etc.

Has anyone seen or have any great Rod Storage ideas that could assist me in getting it correct in a 4.55 Metre Boat

Cheers Nordy
I'm in the process of building under-gunnel rod storage for fly and spin gear in my F15 Nordy, will update with pics when I'm done.
Old 29-06-2015, 06:21 AM
Poddy Bream

Hi mate,

I will post some photos of our new 455 tournament boat which has basically everything you have listed tomorrow . I have a couple of photos I will post now.
This might give you some ideas .
These photos don't show it ,but this boat has storage for 8 x 9ft rods , 4 in each side ( I'll put photos up tomorrow )

Scott at Jackaroo Boats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150605_150345.jpg (549.5 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 20150605_150442.jpg (313.4 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 20150628_141009.jpg (613.1 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by sjc71; 29-06-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 29-06-2015, 06:44 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc71 View Post
Hi mate,

I will post some photos of our new 455 tournament boat which has basically everything you have listed tomorrow . I have a couple of photos I will post now.
This might give you some ideas .
These photos don't show it ,but this boat has storage for 8 x 9ft rods , 4 in each side ( I'll put photos up tomorrow )

Scott at Jackaroo Boats
Awesome Cant wait

Cheers Nordy

Old 29-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylman View Post
I'm in the process of building under-gunnel rod storage for fly and spin gear in my F15 Nordy, will update with pics when I'm done.

Sensational,

Its been doing my head in to get it right. look good, practical etc

I have some ideas, but more ideas the better

Cant wait

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: